Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: patch-log_snews1.7.1.txt  (Read 1107 times)

Ken Dahlin

• http://www.kendahlin.com/
patch-log_snews1.7.1.txt
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:57:23 am »

File: patch-log_snews1.7.1.txt

Lines 241..252 should be deleted, as direct access to these files is normal and your browser wouldn't work otherwise. It's the nature of the web.
---
If you're looking to disallow the browsing of directories, try adding

Options -Indexes

to your .htaccess file

---

Ken

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: patch-log_snews1.7.1.txt
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 05:09:11 pm »

Thanks Ken.
That was a note for myself... I neglected to remove it. It will be removed next time I upload an update.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: patch-log_snews1.7.1.txt
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:40:21 pm »

File: patch-log_snews1.7.1.txt
File: readme.html
File: snews17.sql
Issue: no mention of the additions to snews17.sql which causes problems when setting up a database with more than one dataset, e.g. unprefixed and prefixed sets.

The problem is more along the lines that "I failed to read through the file properly before applying prefix" rather than any error as such, but if you've set up an multi-set sNews system a number of times it's easy to fall into this trap because there's no mention of the additions to the SQL file.

The SQL file has this setup:
Quote from: snews17.sql

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS articles;
-- ---- Create Articles Table:
   CREATE TABLE `articles` (
);

My issue was that in all previous versions, "drop table `blabla` if exists" has not been present, so I'm accustomed to simply do a straight find and replace of all instances of `articles`, `comments`, `extras`, `settings` etc with `prefix_articles` and so on. Takes 10 seconds, and little thought goes into it. And it makes it easy to set up databases with multiple sets.
With this change, I now have to change my routine so I don't accidentally remove the tables that were already in place in the db.
This issue may not be a problem generally speaking, and maybe I'm the only one who doesn't stop to read the file meticulously, because of routines, but it could easily have been avoided if the additions had been mentioned in either the readme.html or (especially) the patches-log file. As a courtesy, if nothing else.