Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A list without sNews.  (Read 3908 times)

pearjam

A list without sNews.
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:22:44 pm »

I was surfing for background info on sNews and it's varients, and found this page...

http://www.webhostingsearch.com/articles/18-unappreciated-cms.php

They have a fork listed, but not the actual sNews CMS.

I posted on the page introducing sNews (at the bottom of the page) - hopefully it will pull in at the very least visits, if not new users.

;D
....I must go, for I am their leader - and they have gone.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: A list without sNews.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »

Nice catch, pear. +1 karma!

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:08:13 am »

What is a tad irritating is that Redaxscript is up on place number two, and sNews isn't mentioned at all... Irritating as Redax is if my memory serves me a "product" based on sNews from one of our former members... A fork if you will... I'm not all to certain, but close enough.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

pearjam

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 04:32:53 pm »

Yes, I read where redaxscript was built off of sNews, - which is why I was shocked to not see sNews listed. I'm not even an sNews stakeholder (but I like it a lot, and should be here for quite a while) - and I felt a little offended. lol

nukpana

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:43:47 pm »

Offended? Irritated?  Frankly I am not surprised.  The Redaxscript "creator" seems to continuously promotes his system all over the place.  http://www.google.com/#q=redaxscript

Are you extra shocked to know that last year it was one of the most promising CMS in 09? I suspect because of promotion.... But equally odd, no one seems to be using it.... http://www.google.com/#q=Powered+by+Redaxscript
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:35:15 am by philmoz »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »

@ Nukpana... none of your links go anywhere... all 3 are dead.  :)

Do I detect a little animosity towards the Redaxscript project?
Have any of you downloaded, installed and explored Redaxscript's files?
I have no idea how many people actually use it (I wouldn't use it) but kudos to its author (Henry Ruhs) for promoting it aggressively.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

nukpana

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:34:33 pm »

Odd they worked before... Yes I have installed and explored the said project and I expressed thoughts to the owner

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »

@Key's - I've tested redax but it didn't fit my bill. It's not bad - after all it's based on sNews 1.6 - but, not for me. 8)

pearjam

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:51:33 pm »

I haven't tried it, and I'm not against someone promoting their variant - as long as the parent is noted.

It sounds like the best thing to do is make the new 2.0 the absolute best it can be, then promote it. Each of us that wants to can submit sNews to related boards, getting sNews related sites / communities up and running, and so on - so the word reaches as many as possible.

mosh

• Awesome day :)
    • cms-zen
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 05:16:18 pm »

i have try most cms on that page,
as i say sNewsCMS is adictive, and it's not found under WP shadow.

sNewsCMS stand on it's own power.

awesome day 2 all

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 07:10:27 pm »

I have try most cms on that page, as i say sNewsCMS is addictive, and it's not found under WP shadow. sNewsCMS stand on it's own power.
... Yes I have installed and explored the said project and I expressed thoughts to the owner
@Key's - I've tested redax but it didn't fit my bill. It's not bad - after all it's based on sNews 1.6 - but, not for me.
I haven't tried it...

Thanks for responding to the question guys.
I've installed it too (localhost only) and had a look through the files a bit. I want to take a closer look at how it deals with modules... it appears to be more efficient than the way I have the modules working in my older 1.6 Modules project. If it turns out that it is more efficient and I can adapt the Redax approach... I see no reason not to try and adapt it for use with sNews... since sNews 1.6 essentially gave birth to Redax to begin with.

1.   and I'm not against someone promoting their variant - as long as the parent is noted.
2.   It sounds like the best thing to do is make the new 2.0 the absolute best it can be, then promote it. Each of us that wants to can submit sNews to related boards, getting sNews related sites / communities up and running, and so on - so the word reaches as many as possible.

1. From what I've seen so far, Redax is structured and written sufficiently that very little of it (other than a few small functions) is actually a copy of anything from sNews. The author has put a lot of work into it so I respect that. I have found sNews also makes use of of bits and pieces from several other sources as well and those sources have not been specifically noted either. This is a natural occurence with open source work.

2. I agree Pearjam. sNews 2.0 concepts have been roughed out but actual work on it has not yet started. We've been waiting for Luka (sNews owner) to gain his health back and get his work schedule to a point where he can lead the project team again, and all indications are we will be at it within a couple of months or so... likely a winter project.

I think we'll need to work out a communication & promotion strategy once we get 2.0 to the pre-release testing stage. It's good to plan such things out ahead of time, including who will do what & when & how, so that we have some control over the messaging and can ensure that it is consistent. Along with that, of course, we'll need a new template for this website... all part of the re-branding exercise.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:12:32 pm by Keyrocks »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:41:58 am »

redax is very much still snews. A lot of things are implemented using function call  tags [function][/function]
The base snews has been exploded into different files, and names changed.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

pearjam

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 05:51:09 pm »

@Keyrocks - and anyone else for that matter...

I don't have mega-strong development skills - I'm a linux server admin by trade - but I do have some light development / design skills (usually aimed towards minimalist efficiency which is right up sNews's alley), that could be used - so if I can help with rolling out 2.0, propagating it, or anything else - let me know!!

( Usually the stuff I put together is well formed, unlike the sentence above. :D )

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 11:02:56 pm »

I don't have mega-strong development skills - I'm a linux server admin by trade - but I do have some light development / design skills (usually aimed towards minimalist efficiency which is right up sNews's alley), that could be used - so if I can help with rolling out 2.0, propagating it, or anything else - let me know!!

On behalf of all our sNews Dudes... and Luka (Lead Dude) your offer of helping with sNews 2.0 is appreciated and most welcome. If you're still with us when we do get to it, you'll likely be drawn into it as much as you have time for.  ;D

As far as development experience goes, I was just a beginner when I came across sNews in early 2006... my only PHP and MySQL experience before that was about 7 months of working with PHP-Nuke. I found I had to re-think a lot of what I had learned as I became more familiar with sNews... and I learn new things every time I modify a default sNews function. Of course, the longer you stick with one system and get to know it, the better it works for you.

pearjam

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »

lol - Well, I'm ready to help with what I can - whenever the time comes.  :D
Pages: [1] 2