Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finally Ubuntu user...  (Read 3377 times)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Re: Finally Ubuntu user...
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:07 pm »

Annnnnd, dual boot it is. Damn my jiggle'ing balls, it's so much funnier, nicer, better, faster, sexier, hotter, well.. Not MS about it all. No feck up's at all... so far, hehe.. If this continues I'm tossing MS in the bin forever, I can tell ya that, dear friends...

Only trouble is Photoshop... mhm. Do I really have to learn GIMP ? It seems so, not recommended on WINE it seems.

Well, see ya later dudes, I'm off to play ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:24:38 pm »

Annnnnd, dual boot it is. Well, see ya later dudes, I'm off to play ;)

So it was the VMWare thingy after all... I suppose it's only meant for a quick test and not as 'compliant' with all else as one would like. I'll remember not to use it if I ever decide to go the Ubuntu route.

So... now that you have the Dual Boot thingie working... let us know how you got it all up and running, etc. so we might learn from your experience.
If you are dual-booting (never did this myself yet), you could re-boot to Windoze and use your Windoze apps when you need them... n'est pas?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

nukpana

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 11:26:55 pm »

@ Doug, when dual booting, you can go into either OS at the boot prompt.  If you really want to know I could go over the process, but a simple google is sufficient.  I also don't believe the VMware issue was solved.

@ Patric, I hope you finished the dual boot without issue and you have sound.  If not, advise back.  

I would have like to have seen an output of lsmod, lspci, alsamixer, etc while in VMware.  The issue may have been solved by adding a line to alsa-base.conf.  This may be the case if you don't have sound after the dual boot install, but I hope not....

Regarding Photohop - you can still boot back into Windows for Photoshop if you need it.  Gimp is fine for simple tasks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:29:04 pm by nukpana »

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 02:08:58 pm »

Doug, Nuk - It wasn't any problems at all, whatsoever. I already had version 9.10 down and burned, so I popped that sucker in the cdtray and re booted. Installation was initiated and I answered some questions about language and such, then at the end I was offered a choice to partition the disc for ubuntu alone, or having the Ubuntu installation coexist with whatever I already had installed, I chose that, and upon reboot there was about 15 seconds in "DOS-mode" where I could choose whatever OS to boot...

All well, sound, graphic, and everything else so far is up to date and functioning. All updates from 9.10's makings til today (yesterday) took about 4 minutes to DL and install, a re boot and I was up and running again...

So cool, booting takes about 10 seconds, shut down not even that, and there is so much fun to discover, hehe... I'll drown for sure...
Updated

nukpana

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 12:59:32 pm »

Good for you Pat, enjoy and ask away if you have questions

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

Will do, for sure... Am not tought in anyway as far as linux goes, hehe... But they have quite a good "master/pupil" system going so any questions is answered pretty rapidly by my "teacher" ... And believe you me... He gets questions ;)
Updated
Pages: 1 [2]