Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: [You] use this....  (Read 2365 times)

centered

[You] use this....
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:33:16 am »

Can't sleep so in my browsing I found a cool little site called usesthis.com.  It is a site that asks geeks about their what setups they use.  I also like the url format: person.usesthis.com

The site has 4 easy questions:
Who are you, and what do you do?
What hardware are you using?
And what software?
What would be your dream setup?

So here is mine currently and VERY quickly:

Who are you, and what do you do? I'm Jason
Laptop: HP dv4-1222nr (2.1ghz dc/4GB mem/320gb hdd/14" screen)
Desktop: 2009 Mac Mini nVidia, 2 WD External Drives, Dell 21" Widescreen LCD, Mac keyboard
Logitech Mice
Ipod Touch for testing and occassional game
Wacom Tablet
And what software?
Laptop: [Installed a new HDD earlier, so this is a fresh install... yea so much for a Sat evening] Ubuntu 9.10.  gedit as my IDE. Firefox w/ some key addons - Firebug, Web Dev, SQLITE Mgr, Pencil (for quick layouts).. more to come depending on how fast apt and the local repos are..
Desktop: 10.5 OS X, Coda, CS2, and some more stuff. Pretty minimal, but ATM cluttered (cleaning stage..) The system is sleep (off) right now, where I should be...zzzz
I would love to sync both machines together without additional hardware... but I would settle for a NAS or a server that is hooked up to the internet using SVN or similar so I can sync everything. I haven't really researched it fully. Best Buy has a single Drive NAS for $175.... hmmm
Sorry no octo-core/16GB Mac Pro but I would replace the laptop for a 13" Mac Book Pro

What is everyone's setup?

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
Re: [You] use this....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:25:51 am »

MAC SUKS throw that into garbage bin  
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Joost

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 05:13:06 am »

Who are you, and what do you do?
I am Joost, I write stuff

Actually, I have little knowledge of that. I have 3 computers, all older than 8 years. The oldest is an IBM, I have one customized computer (the hottest hardware available in back in 1998) and a pc from the grocery department of a supermarket (the top shelf between coffee and pasta).
Most money I've spent  on hardware such as: keyboards, mice and screens ( It is very convenient when the mouse pointer goes where you expect it to go, when the character 'g' is printed only once when pressing that key and if you can actually see the result).
I have an external hard drive for large backups (pictures) and a memorystick for important/quick backups.

And what software?
XP professional / Windows 98 / an IBM OS(which name I forgot) / an ancient linux distro,
Apache,
Mysql,
php mod,
perl,
dev-cpp
Notepad++,
Irfanview,
PhotoFiltre,
Gimp,

I don't game, I don't do video editing. So any contemporary computer has more power than I need.
Something I can carry around (a small laptop), would be nice though.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 05:14:58 am by Joost »

centered

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »

I'm can't compare since you decided not to fill out the (pretty easy imo) questions.  I can only assume you are using a word processor with a 5" LCD screen running some Linux distro and Lynx and probably preturbed that you can't run Win 3.1 on it to have some geek cred. Then you probably have a smartphone running windows mobile and own a zune.

But I can only guess...

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:46:29 pm »

I'm can't compare since you decided not to fill out the (pretty easy imo) questions.  I can only assume you are using a word processor with a 5" LCD screen running some Linux distro and Lynx and probably preturbed that you can't run Win 3.1 on it to have some geek cred. Then you probably have a smartphone running windows mobile and own a zune. But I can only guess...

There are many options, of course, and MAC products are but one small segment of the consumer-side of the computer market.
Of course, we can only imagine what Sasha means by "MAC SUKS"... sounds like something you might find scrawled on the door of a public washroom stall.  ;D
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »

And... hope we're not back to this again... I say who the "fjeck" gives a damn what other people think of their gear ? I don't. You might think what ever I have sucks bigtime, and I do not care the least.

So once and for all, stop hazzling one and other about what hardware they use.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

centered

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:07:19 pm »

Wow, thanks Sasha, you little shit, for ruining what would have been a good thread.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:24:03 pm »

And... hope we're not back to this again... I say who the "fjeck" gives a damn what other people think of their gear ? I don't. You might think what ever I have sucks bigtime, and I do not care the least. ...... So once and for all, stop hazzling one and other about what hardware they use.

Exactamundo Pat.  :-* We works with what we has and I like what I have.  :P
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU