Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New version.. maybe?  (Read 5765 times)

centered

Re: New version.. maybe?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 06:06:07 pm »

@Fred:
I know where you are coming from.  Change the wording "section" to "category" and still see if you can't apply the pages in categories idea.

Home
About
Contact
Section 1
 - Page
   Category
   - Article
Section 2
 - Page
   Category
   - Article
Section 3
 - Page
   Category
   - Article

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 07:29:59 pm »

Jason (short note) -- regarding the discussion in the "least liked feature" thread: sections are like super categories in a sense, yes. I have to think some more about it, because when Doug and you start talking about specific details, and Joost is standing on the sideline saying, "but, then, why?" (that's not an exact rendering of Joost's opinions, it's an approximation. Sorry if I've misinterpreted you, Joost. ;)), I sort of lose track of the overall idea. In my mind.

The reason I brought up "content hierarchy" in the least liked feature thread is because I don't see that kind of hierarchy in sNews, and it is a hierarchy, or structure if you will, that I wish existed.

My approach in 1.6... to get pages showing in cats & sub-cats... was to work with pages using its existing content type = "3"... it was simpler than coming up with a whole new way of assigning content types.

Obviously we each have a different 'vision' of how one thing or another might work or be applied; that's normal when we're all over the world and can't meet together and discuss our ideas together in person.

I am thinking that... rather than try to have general discussions on several topics in this one "New version... maybe?" thread, we should start a new Board titled "Considerations for sNews 2.0" or something to that effect. My reason for suggesting this is that it's much easier to keep topics organized in separate threads in one location and, right now, some of our current discussions are happening in several threads. Some topics will attract a lot of discussion while others might attract very little... and the latter can easily get lost when mixed in one mulit-topic thread.

Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 07:05:03 pm »

@Fred:
I know where you are coming from.  Change the wording "section" to "category" and still see if you can't apply the pages in categories idea.

Home
About
Contact
Section 1
 - Page
   Category
   - Article
Section 2
 - Page
   Category
   - Article
Section 3
 - Page
   Category
   - Article

It *seems* to me like this is more or less the same structure as we have now, except that Pages can go in the Section supercat.
What I'm trying to get at is a *different* structure, because to me it feels like the current one isn't adequate (or versatile enough) if you try and go beyond the scope of the standard blog/daily news-like site. Not sure if I'm successful in getting that across...

Quote from: Keyrocks
... rather than try to have general discussions on several topics in this one "New version... maybe?" thread, we should start a new Board titled "Considerations for sNews 2.0" or something to that effect.
Certainly, although --if we're talking about this Sections development for example-- discussions on this topic is already in several places, since it's been brought up on a number of occasions spread out over versions. I can't give other examples off the top of my head but I have a feeling there are other features/improvements/suggestions that also appear in many different places. Opening yet another board for that sole purpose will probably not help for already published ideas (published in many places that is). That said, a "Considerations for future versions" board is obviously a good idea, to keep such suggestions centralised.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:40:42 pm »

Quote from: Fred K
It *seems* to me like this is more or less the same structure as we have now, except that Pages can go in the Section supercat.
What I'm trying to get at is a *different* structure, because to me it feels like the current one isn't adequate (or versatile enough) if you try and go beyond the scope of the standard blog/daily news-like site. Not sure if I'm successful in getting that across...

It does look like what we already have.
@ Fred... why not mock up a static menu on a static page... to show us what you are trying to convey.

Quote from: Fred K
Quote from: Keyrocks
... rather than try to have general discussions on several topics in this one "New version... maybe?" thread, we should start a new Board titled "Considerations for sNews 2.0" or something to that effect.
Certainly, although --if we're talking about this Sections development for example-- discussions on this topic is already in several places, since it's been brought up on a number of occasions spread out over versions. I can't give other examples off the top of my head but I have a feeling there are other features/improvements/suggestions that also appear in many different places. Opening yet another board for that sole purpose will probably not help for already published ideas (published in many places that is). That said, a "Considerations for future versions" board is obviously a good idea, to keep such suggestions centralised.

"Considerations for future versions" is more generic... that's better actually... since it doesn't 'commit' to any particular version.

You are quite right Fred... discussions on similar/same topics are all over the place; poor organization has led this website to become more difficult to find stuff in. This happens to a lot of boards. Getting stuff better organized would create a full-time job for at least a month or two. It really doesn't matter anyhow... there are very few active users on the site nowadays.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:25:22 pm by Keyrocks »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

centered

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 05:00:56 am »

I am thinking that... rather than try to have general discussions on several topics in this one "New version... maybe?" thread, we should start a new Board titled "Considerations for sNews 2.0" or something to that effect. My reason for suggesting this is that it's much easier to keep topics organized in separate threads in one location and, right now, some of our current discussions are happening in several threads. Some topics will attract a lot of discussion while others might attract very little... and the latter can easily get lost when mixed in one mulit-topic thread.

@ Doug, Good idea. Can you start a new thread/board and copy these posts there

@ Fred,  unelss you draw it up I can't help.  The other idea you showed has categories and articles hooked to the page which hooked to the section.  Now I don't know if current 1/x sNews can do sort a thing.  I proposed for 2.0 a database structure that doesn't care what the content type is - some content will be subcontent to something - end of story.  The other thing too, is sNews also supports a 2 level hierarchy, what you proposed is more:

Curr: domain.com/category/subcategory/article
Prop: domain.com/section/page/category/subcategory/article

Again, not a problem, but not for current sNews

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 10:57:19 am »

i m for start of new snews 2.0 from scratch.What we need first is to open new thret for discussion what we want to see in new version.Also for new version we not need time rush.This my take hole year or more.I think reverting some code in 1.7  to make 1.8 is not solution.I also know many of us dont have much free time to devlop snews in 3-4 months.We can have one thret (delit all previus about new version in this forum to clean forum from same) about this and start make some code.Also Code can be posted public not need to be work behind closed doors so some of our visitor may participate or give us some fresh ideas about snews new version.This is my idea to build snews 2.0 publicly.
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 03:06:51 pm »

@ Fred... The other idea you showed has categories and articles hooked to the page which hooked to the section.
...sNews also supports a 2 level hierarchy, what you proposed is more:
Curr: domain.com/category/subcategory/article
Prop: domain.com/section/page/category/subcategory/article
Again, not a problem, but not for current sNews

My ideas are often driven by need, and when the need changes - so does the idea. However, I'll try and draw a schematic for the idea of level 1=Section + level 2=Content, which is the fundamental structure I'm looking for. However, the prop is not site/section/page/cat/subcat/article, but it is:

1. site/section/page <!-- Ends there.
2. site/section/category/subcategory/article <!-- Ends there
3. (possibly) site/section/category/page <!-- Ends there (this seems less useful though but is an alternative) nah, a page in a cat = an article!

Now where have I put my crayons...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:56:05 pm by Fred K (agentsmith) »

centered

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 03:59:02 pm »

i m for start of new snews 2.0 from scratch.What we need first is to open new thret for discussion what we want to see in new version.Also for new version we not need time rush.This my take hole year or more.I think reverting some code in 1.7  to make 1.8 is not solution.I also know many of us dont have much free time to devlop snews in 3-4 months.We can have one thret (delit all previus about new version in this forum to clean forum from same) about this and start make some code.Also Code can be posted public not need to be work behind closed doors so some of our visitor may participate or give us some fresh ideas about snews new version.This is my idea to build snews 2.0 publicly.

Start the thread sasha.  And as for code being public, I think you can see that I am keeping code public and dicussion public, encouraging the non-dudes for full participation, including yourself..  For 2.0 I would like the same thing when a base becomes built.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 05:51:02 pm »

Yeah, more "non-dudes" need to speak up about what features we can/should remove (and also, in a longer perspective perhaps, how they want sNews to behave). sNews is for all, not just a select few. Man up (or as the case may be, woman up): speak your piece. 8)

I found my crayon box, btw. Not sure how clear the pictures are, but here are two pix that try and describe how I see Sections:

1)

This panel shows the intended behavior of Sections. Basically a section is the root for the content, which can be anything - Pages, Categories/Subcat's with articles, whatever. (Pages don't belong in Categories btw, since a Page essentially is an Article meaning if Pages go in Categories, they become Articles...)

2)

This shows the imagined overall site structure. Home is a special case, as seen by wire1 above - at least as I envision it. If anything it's a Section, though as I think most people use Home these days, it's a Page. Go figure.

Sorry about the image size. Hope they're clear enough. Basically, you start with a Home section, and I guess some static Pages like Archive, Sitemap and Contact (you should be able to reassign those to other sections though). Then add Sections, and content, as you like.

I'm thinking of doing an HTML mockup site as well, just to demonstrate functionality, if I can find the time...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:54:14 pm by Fred K (agentsmith) »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 07:33:59 pm »

@ Doug, Good idea. Can you start a new thread/board and copy these posts there.

Actually... we already have the Board - Looking towards 2.0 so if we put everything related to 2.0 and/or 'future versions' in that Board at least it will be in one location.  :)

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 01:25:23 am »

Started a discussion for future features, there. I thought Sasha would, but... oh well, I jumped the gun. ;)
Add yours, please.

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 02:48:11 am »

Good :) i m too busy at this moment working 150 hours in two weeks and i not have day of more then month.In january i m going to be more active in this forum but until that i have to stick with periodic visit...
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 02:21:14 pm »

Good :) i m too busy at this moment working 150 hours in two weeks and i not have day of more then month.In january i m going to be more active in this forum but until that i have to stick with periodic visit...

You will get ahead by keeping your 'nose to the grindstone'.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]