Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: Yo, in search for a documentation manager  (Read 2228 times)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Yo, in search for a documentation manager
« on: August 17, 2009, 04:53:47 pm »

Hey, dude's and the few dudette's around.

Have meself a client whom is in the making of a new company. He and his associates are spread out over Sweden and asked me if I could find something that would enhance their documentation handling...

I thought that one of those project management softwares out there would be nice. But, alas, I feel they're to complex. I fear that they wouldn't be able to use one of those. I DL'ed and installed: http://dotproject.net/index.php which seems to be an ok system, but far to... big, really.

Is anyone aware of a system, preferably multilingual (not a must), that mearly is for handling documents, like invoice templates and so forth. A system to which I can upload a file, edit it, add to it and so on... A login system is a must though...
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Nicu Alecu

• BLUEBYTE.ro // IT consultant
Re: Yo, in search for a documentation manager
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 05:54:17 pm »

Pat, maybe you should try GroupOffice 3 (install the community edition @ first, then you can go Pro by paying).
It's a nice groupware webapp, that offers calendars, tasks manager, emailing, file management with online editing capabilities, addresbook, notes, usergroups and access to everything based on group or individual permissions. The pro version provides even more modules, like projects management (timed + charted), invoicing and other stuff.

It's somehow heavy on AJAX, but well worth a try.

If you're interested I do have a test installation ready for you to try (i'll set up an admin account for you), but I think that making a fresh install for youself would be best in your case, you'll get better aquinted with the app.

There's one older version (2.18) that's not so AJAXed and not so web2.0ed but includes a little more modules in the community edition ... that's what i'm currently using for myself and a few of my clients.

If you need any additional info, just let me know!

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:54:27 am »

As easy aspossible is the best choice for these guy's, I'm sure... Is it possible to ba set up on that older one for a quick tryout at your version ?

AJAX'y sounds cool, but I think it might be a tad bloated for my client. Will DL and try it out, but still interested in trying the older version you had...
Updated

Nicu Alecu

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:37:19 pm »

Well, it's actually like this:
1. I have a 3.0 (almost empty) which is available for trial
2. The 2.18 (older) installation is the "production" one, not really suited for external trials and heavily modified

But you shoul keep in mind that the older version does not allow for online editing (lack of AJAX) of docs and spreadsheets, only 3.0 is suitable for such a task.
If you feel like installing, both version are available for download at sourceforge, just pick the one you want to test.

As for the one that I have available, I'll send you a PM with login credentials later this afternoon.

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:41:22 pm »

Thanks, Nicu.. I appriciate it. Then it's 3.0 I need as the online editing is essential. How about the user friendlyness... Can a numbnuts use it ;) ?
Updated

Nicu Alecu

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 05:19:35 pm »

;D  it really depends on the "numbnutiness" degree ...
For instance, I had no trouble presenting the main functions and a few tips & tricks to a computer-blind medical nurse, but it took about 2 month untill she no longer needed my "nursing"  ;)
Anyway, what's really important is that you understand the structure and the functions (and they are pretty straight forward, believe me) so that you can explain it in day to day english (or whatever language) to numbnuts!

oh, and I forgot to mention it's translated in more languages that I care to count, and you can always make your own translation, if you so please ... it's really easy, though time consuming!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:21:55 pm by Nicu Alecu »

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 09:49:23 am »

Mhm, alrighty then... Had better try it out... Bob, suggested CKfinder (http://www.ckfinder.com/) as an easy tool aswell. Will try that aswell, to see what might be better.
Updated