Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: I've dissabled rss  (Read 2604 times)

Joost

I've dissabled rss
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:01:38 pm »

I am not a fan of Web 2.0 anyway. Web 2.0 was dead before it even started. :P
Reason for disabling rss, are the 5000 requests, received within 2 hours. It seems that a feedreader hung itself on this uri:
/rss-pages/rss-comments/rss-articles/rss-pages/
As we know, rss in sNews doesn't handle http protocols very well (it actually doesn't) so in conjunction with an abnormal configured feedreader, this can happen. Now, I don't mind bots having vibrant, intense affairs (I am broad minded), but  I am sure it annoys my hoster and it won't do anything for me.

So if anyone runs into a situation like this, simply disable function rss_contents.

funlw65

• Country Lab
Re: I've dissabled rss
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:12:25 pm »

As we know, rss in sNews doesn't handle http protocols very well (it actually doesn't) so in conjunction with an abnormal configured feedreader, this can happen. Now, I don't mind bots having vibrant, intense affairs (I am broad minded), but  I am sure it annoys my hoster and it won't do anything for me.

Joost, what you mean? Here is a mod. Applying it, your RSS feed can be valid. I agreed with so many requests.

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:16:36 pm »

I have an idea for the case you already have subscribers to your feed...

Your feed function must return a fake article (generated inside function, not read from database) with title: "I disabled my Rss Feed" "Sorry! <- as article content". And the link of title pointing to your site, at home page.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:28:33 pm »

I am not a fan of Web 2.0 anyway. Web 2.0 was dead before it even started. :P
Reason for disabling rss, are the 5000 requests, received within 2 hours. It seems that a feedreader hung itself on this uri:
/rss-pages/rss-comments/rss-articles/rss-pages/

So if anyone runs into a situation like this, simply disable function rss_contents.

I have not been a Web 2.0 fan either, and have not been using rss_contents in live projects... so I haven't yet experienced a feedreader problem yet.
Thanks for the heads-up Joost.  :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Joost

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 05:40:38 pm »

Yep, I guess I am a old fashion Web 0.0 guy: Two bean cans connected with a thread.

Just some details: Removing rss-links is not enough, I didn't use them . Remove the meta links from the header and the execution line:

Code: [Select]
<?php
if (
false !== strpos($categorySEF'rss-')) {rss_contents($categorySEF$articleSEF);}
?>

Joost

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:15:35 pm »

Sorry fun, I missed your post.
As I've already stated, I am not a big fan of rss.
One problem with rss aggregators and readers, is the automation that's involved. Both server and visitor, leave it up to some tools, to negotiate content. Most feed-readers request content every hour by default. sNews simply sends latest full articles, full pages and comments, without 'consideration' . Regardless the age of these items and ignoring the question: "Anything new?", to which it should respond with a 304 header 99,9 percent of the time.. The feed reader then filters the old content out, without the 'visitor' knowing about that. So you can have a site with a lot of traffic, but with virtually no real visitors.
There is no point in having that. Does a visitor unsubscribe after a year, when he or she looses interest? I don't think so.
Although widely spread (easy to implement), I don't think rss is not a great asset to the internet.

I have an idea for the case you already have subscribers to your feed...

Your feed function must return a fake article (generated inside function, not read from database) with title: "I disabled my Rss Feed" "Sorry! <- as article content". And the link of title pointing to your site, at home page.

I wouldn't want to send that 5000 times n 2 hours. ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:17:19 pm by Joost »

funlw65

• Country Lab
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 07:10:15 pm »

Good to know ... thank you Joost.

Yep, I don't like that frequency too ...

Ken Dahlin

• http://www.kendahlin.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:57 am »

I disable feeds for everyone but the feedburner.com service. Anyone attempting to subscribe to the old feeds get redirected to feedburner.com. They do a good job serving all the requests for me. :)