Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Page and category mixups  (Read 2991 times)

jackp

• But you said "Stick it there!!"
    • Tim Chard - myEmote
Page and category mixups
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:05:05 am »

Hello

Just started using Snews and have been browsing for mods, addons and bug fixes. Something that is really 'bugging' me at the moment is content being mixed up.

I have found that while 'HOME' is selected to display latest articles, this is when the problem persists. For me, selecting 'HOME' to display new articles opens up a can of worms. Some of the problems may be because I have no idea what I am doing.

An example of content mixup can be view over at http://www.ni5ni6.com/ (as stated below, this could just be my browser)

I have tested in IE and FF with no difference. Over at Ni5Ni6.com regardless of what page or category I select the main content or articles remain the same, except for the Archive. Clicking on 'Continue reading' on an article just results in the webpage reloading as does viewing comments. This was the same problem on my website until I unchecked 'Display new Articles in HOME. I found that if 'HOME' was checked the only way to get to an article was through the ARCHIVES. (I had limited articles to display to 3) Could this be a problem with my IE or FF, I don't know!?! But obviously others can see Ni5Ni6.com properly because there are comments being left there.

Next, when viewing an article from within Admin, changing the order of articles results in the categories not working at all or only partly. This seems to work only if left as 0,0,0,0 etc. I had been putting in 1,2,3,4 ??

Next, I have read Mods on removing 'HOME' from the categories and sitemap etc but they are not compehensive/easy (is that possible?) enough for idjits like me. As a suggestion from me, can you get rid of the 'Home' category, page, page links, sitemap etc in one complete mod. I tried following various links throughout the forum but only got lost. Sorry.

sNews overall gets at least a 9-9.8/10 in my book. I don't want something complicated and huge. It can be implemented so easily across other websites and since I build a few websites for friends it will easier since I won't have to update the content for them. Kudos to all in sNews development. I wish I had a brain like you guys sometimes. I will go over to the suggestions area and leave some ideas. Thank everyone at sNews for something so simple and useable.

Jackp

Joost

Re: Page and category mixups
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:32:26 am »

http://www.ni5ni6.com/  is not relevant, it is an old version and contains, for reasons I don't know, bugs. These are server related, not browser related.
Show on home should function the way it is named: When selected, regardless of which category it is coming from, it is displayed on home ordered by date.
To access other articles (more than 3), you can switch on pagination in the admin panel, same page as "display on home".
It works for categories as well.

No, there is no easy way of getting rid of home.

jackp

• Tim Chard - myEmote
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:34:41 am »

Hey Joost

I have just been back into the Admin Panel and switched 'Display new articles on HOME' and it is working. Must have been my roid cream giving me halucinations. LOL

Thanks, anyway.

This also solves the 'HOME' page problem, no need to get rid of.

jackp

• Tim Chard - myEmote
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:15:46 am »

In my sNews DB, I have set 'home' not to be published. Its _catorder is 0 (zero). Using sNewsMU

What this does is hide it in my categories list so that Home can be a true Home page with a blurb etc that won't change.

Even though Home has been set with a _catorder of 0 (zero), every new category I create gets a _catorder of 0 (zero) EDIT [I can see why in DB now]

So rather than going last, it is always being put at the top of my category list. Is there a way that I can create a new category and have it go last without opening my sNews Db each time? If, say, I have 6 categories and I create a new one I'd like it to be _catorder 7

The other thing I find interesting and perhaps someone can enlighten me as to why, but before modifying anything in my DB or snews, all categories are created with a _catorder of 0 (zero) no matter how many I add. Am I missing a technicial reason for this to be this way?  EDIT [Yes ning nong! Its called a DB]

This kind of relates to my troubles above and it is not a problem for me if I just have to toggle the _catorder but if it happened all by itself it would be even better.

EDIT [So have just had a look at the DB and found you cannot have two auto-increment entries. Bugger!!]

Is there a way to do this in the snewsMU.php?

If I keep going I could figure this out I guess, but i am tired. Was new Dad on Thursday. She was a whopper at 10lb 5oz or for Metric Heads 4.680kg

Thanks

Jackp

jlhaslip

• My snews with AEF Forum site
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:37:26 pm »

Congrats to Dad, Mom and the new One...
Yes! I have no siggy.