Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: (SOLVED) Offline server on Mac (Tiger OS)  (Read 1993 times)

kmohl

• noprint
(SOLVED) Offline server on Mac (Tiger OS)
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:01:34 am »

Hi @ all,

I'm new to sNews CMS, have some coding knowledge but primarily I'm designer and I'm using Mac. I downloaded and installed XAMPP on the Mac, and sNews 1.6 to one of my site's folder online. Now, I'd like to customize the sNews default theme with design of my own, but I'd like to do it offline first. Can I use Dreamweaver for that, or there's better way, and how exactly can I start the site offline, on the Mac?

Thank you in advance for your help! :)
Kristian
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:38:55 pm by kmohl »

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Re: Offline server on Mac (Tiger OS)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 11:49:42 am »

Hi, Kristian... and welcome.

You can use DW, it's really a personal choice, boiled down... There have been some issues with both DW and FP, though, but I think that has to do with settings. There are some on here that do all their coding in DW, so it is likely to be ok...

I don't, and the most people don't use it however... We have a pure texteditor instead like Notepad++ or Crimson Editor.

On the number two, I'll leave it for our friend Fredrik "the MAC" Kylander to answer ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

kmohl

• noprint
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:01:45 pm »

Thanks 4 D welcome. I'd really appreciate all the info I can get about starting the local server.
BTW: I installed the XAMPP ok, started the localhost, but on the splash screen, upon clicking the desired language link (I clicked English, but also tried other languages, with same result) I received this message:

Warning: fopen(lang.tmp) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/lang.php on line 2
Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/lang.php on line 3
Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/lang.php on line 4
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/lang.php:2) in /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/lang.php on line 5

Maybe this is not Mac-related only, so if someone knows what to do, please let me know.

Thanks,
KM

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:13:17 pm »

Kristian,
I'll say what I say to all Mac sNUsers: throw away XAMPP and replace it with MAMP (http://mamp.info/) . Normal version is fine for most needs, and if you have bigger needs there's MAMP Pro.

XAMPP was developed for Windows and ported for Intel Mac. MAMP was built for Mac and has been tried and tested on PPC as well as Intel Macs, and on versions of OS X from 10.2 up to 10.5. I've been using it since 10.3 and can't praise it enough. I'm sure that XAMPP is a great tool, but not for the Mac. So go get yourself a copy of MAMP, your Mac will thank you for it. ;)

As for using DW, what we know is that in "normal" user mode you may experience some problems with DW adding code unnecessarily that can cause problems -- however according to reports there is some setting you can do to eliminate this. I don't use DW myself so I should really not say too much about it. For editing script files I would personally suggest a text editor, preferably with the ability to show invisible files in the system (you'll need it to handle .htaccess with ease) -- TextWrangler from barebones, the people behind BBEdit, is a good free choice but there are others.

You can find some basic info about setting up sNews locally on Mac OS X on my site

Have fun! ;)

kmohl

• noprint
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 01:16:49 pm »

Thanks for helping me out Fred!

I took your advice - installed MAMP, and everything works fine now, even my Mac said thanks :)
Also installed Wrangler (not the Jeep heh) and I'm ready, set, go... yupiii!

Just to mention: this extensive confing guide found on your web: http://frdk.com/blog/snews/installing-snews/ was most helpful, I'm sure newbies (like me) would have much less headache if your guide could be found up-front on this forum as well... that's just a thought coming from my own experience... but it's probably a good thing for a newbie to dig in personaly, and make an effort to find a solution that wasn't presented up-front on the plate in the first place :)

Kristian

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 02:21:35 pm »

You're most welcome, Kristian -- I'm glad if the info helped. As for Mac info being present on the snewscms.com front page or not -- that's really for our lead honcho Luka to decide. To some extent I can agree, but then the Windows stranglehold on the personal computer market is still pretty strong, so...
Plus, you got to dig into the forum which isn't a bad thing. (It's how I got started on the sNews part of my site.) ;D