Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Convert DOC to PDF, for free...  (Read 6038 times)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Convert DOC to PDF, for free...
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:42:14 am »

I have sometimes felt in need of the ability to create PDF files, among other things to present an invoice/bill for clients. but I'm too cheap to buy Acrobate PDF suite...

Now, this is truly awsome: http://www.doc2pdf.net/converter/

Make your own PDF online for free... Great service ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Nicu Alecu

• BLUEBYTE.ro // IT consultant
Re: Convert DOC to PDF, for free...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:15:08 am »

Hi, Patric.
Like the saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat  ;)

So here are 2 other options:
  • 1st - the most obvious, but one that not everybody will agree on: use OpenOffice! all of the applications in the package  have a "Save as PDF" option. It is 99% M$ compatible, so you're not going to miss anything from Bill (I know I don't, neither on Linux nor on Windoze)
  • 2nd - a really easy one for windoze users: use CutePDF (don't google for it any longer or, if you don't find it, I can upload it somewhere and post some instructions here); it's basically a new printer that's installed on the system and let's you "print to PDF" with no loss whatsoever.

Of course, the above solutions are local, not online, but are useful when converting really big docs, spreadsheets, images or whatever can be printed into a PDF format.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:02:27 pm by Nicu Alecu »

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:46:41 am »

...and of course Mac OS X has print to PDF ability built in. So, all you need is a Mac. ;D

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 12:16:43 pm »

LOL @ Fred... Well, not a surprize you should add that opinion, hehe...

@ Nicu. Yupp, aware of both your solutions. At work I can't use neither though, as I'm not a trusted member of the IT geeks, which means I have no permissions to install diddleysquat, hehe... So for me the online thingy was quite awsome.

On the other hand, when (oh, when) I do get my "new" comp and shove Ubuntu up it's rear entrance, I will most definitivly not miss anything from Billy Butt'boy ;)

On topic though, I feel that more, if anyone didn't know, was added on converting docs to pdf's for free... and that's good, eh ?
Updated

centered

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:30:35 pm »

Patric,  when you go to print setup in Word, you do not see a PDF option? 

Nicu Alecu

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 12:32:57 pm »

On topic though, I feel that more, if anyone didn't know, was added on converting docs to pdf's for free... and that's good, eh ?
Defintely!

And Fred, you're right of course, but Macs have been just a "maybe sometimes in the distant future" kindda thought for me  ;) ... i didn't leave it out on purpose.

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:42:47 pm »

Nope... do you ?
Updated

centered

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 12:45:50 pm »

At work, yes

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 01:01:20 pm »

Mhm, must be your comp's "lajsenns" that have this added then, I have not this ability/power of the office clerk-man (new super hero ;) )
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 03:12:17 pm »

@ Jason... I don't think PDF is available from the MS Word Print panel unless there's a third-party PDF app added to the system.
In my case, I installed PDF Creator last fall (it's free too). When I open the Print panel in MS Word, I simply choose it from the Printer dropdown and it walks me through the prompts to create the PDF. I can also just choose PDF Creator as my default printer from MS Settings panel... convert any and all other file-types into PDFs... and switch back to my normal default printer.

@ Patric... you'll have to tell your IT techies at work to install something like PDFCreator so you have it available on your own system. I never like the idea of using someone else's online doo-hickies to mess with my files... kinda like having unprotected sex.  ;D
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

centered

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 03:40:54 pm »

@ Jason... I don't think PDF is available from the MS Word Print panel unless there's a third-party PDF app added to the system.
In my case, I installed PDF Creator last fall (it's free too). When I open the Print panel in MS Word, I simply choose it from the Printer dropdown and it walks me through the prompts to create the PDF. I can also just choose PDF Creator as my default printer from MS Settings panel... convert any and all other file-types into PDFs... and switch back to my normal default printer.

I understand, but at *every* job i have been at, a third party pdf tool is installed and shown under the printer screen, and i didn't install it.  so i guess it depends on the job or company.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:54 pm »

Defintely!

And Fred, you're right of course, but Macs have been just a "maybe sometimes in the distant future" kindda thought for me  ;) ... i didn't leave it out on purpose.

No worries, I didn't think you did. Just "added my opinion", to quote Merry Man P, so people should know that there are plenty of options to Micro$quat stuff... ;) (OpenOffice is just as good an option, imho)

Joost

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 09:00:28 pm »

...and of course Mac OS X has print to PDF ability built in. So, all you need is a Mac. ;D

For all the Mac deprived persons:

pdf creator. Works for every application that has got a print button (ctrl + p).

:-[Ah redundant info. Doug already mentioned it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:02:46 pm by Joost »

Nicu Alecu

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 05:05:20 pm »

It seems everybody is giving away links here  ;D ... so I updated my first post with a link (just to be on the cool side  ;) )