Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cant login using snews in frameset  (Read 1515 times)

eriksson

cant login using snews in frameset
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:17:07 pm »

Hi all! Just finished installing sNews for the first time and everything worked off the bat! Now I need some assistance with something more advanced not covered in the FAQ: http://snewscms.com/faq/faq/

I've installed sNews here (sNews works fine here):
www.telia.se/userxxxxx/sNews

The URL above is ugly so I bought a domain name, say www.mydomain.com
Typing "www.mydomain.com" forwards the user to "www.telia.se/userxxxxx/sNews".
Note: using a frameset from the provider.

This is when the trouble started.

The first problem (which is solved) was the stylesheet not working. I changed "index.php" from
Code: [Select]
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" media="screen" />to
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://www.telia.se/userxxxxx/sNews/style.css" media="screen" />
The second problem is that I can't login anymore.
My stylesheet "fix" above feels ugly and my guess is I could change a setting somewhere else to a) get the stylesheet working and b) regain the ability to login.

And yes, I am loosing my mind looking for a solution, please help ;)

Joost

Re: cant login using snews in frameset
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:04:07 pm »

If you are able to login through the ugly url, why bother? It is not meant for the rest of the world.
If you mean this type of frameset redirect, You might run into some more trouble. Check for instance if a comment can be posted.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 08:13:29 pm by Joost »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 08:09:19 pm »

@ Erik... when did you register your new domain name... and change your DNS? Usually... after changing the DNS for your domain... it can take 2 or even 3 days for the new DNS to be propagated across the WWW. Until the propagation has been completed... you would only be able to access the domain using the "ugly" URL. When propgation is completed... you should be able to access your web page directly using the normal domain name URL.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

eriksson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:50:32 pm »

If you are able to login through the ugly url, why bother? It is not meant for the rest of the world.
If you mean this type of frameset redirect, You might run into some more trouble. Check for instance if a comment can be posted.

Well the ugly URL is just my wording. I don't wish to use that URL in sNews since sNews reports that URL to google/searchbots. I wish to use the "nice" URL having a frameset.

This might not be possible. I just thought I'd ask since at first CSS didn't work using a frameset but editing one line of code fixed that. My next thought was; then maybe other code could be changed to enable login / comments etc using this method (frameset).

Your reference to comments not working is the same thing as not being able to login. It is this I wish to fix, if possible  :)

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 07:54:51 pm by eriksson »

eriksson

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:52:46 pm »

@ Erik... when did you register your new domain name... and change your DNS? Usually... after changing the DNS for your domain... it can take 2 or even 3 days for the new DNS to be propagated across the WWW. Until the propagation has been completed... you would only be able to access the domain using the "ugly" URL. When propgation is completed... you should be able to access your web page directly using the normal domain name URL.

The new domain name has been registered for some time, sorry i didn't mention that. My wording was to help explain. I use the "new" domain name all the time, it's just sNews that I would like to use as well ;)

Joost

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:37:18 am »

Although not confirmed, I'll assume you mean the frameset I referred to.
In snews.php you find the following code two times:

$ip == $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] &&
It cheques whether the user agent (visitor) accessed the website, in this case, the ugly url. Removing it might (not tested) solve the problem.

eriksson

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »

Although not confirmed, I'll assume you mean the frameset I referred to.
In snews.php you find the following code two times:

$ip == $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] &&
It cheques whether the user agent (visitor) accessed the website, in this case, the ugly url. Removing it might (not tested) solve the problem.

Hi again, cheers for answering.
Tried the suggestion but no go :(

Saw in the code that the change only effects comments and my problem is not being able to login. Anyho.

If I could only have snews report the nice URL to google/searchbots then I would be happy, regardless of the $db['website' variable. Any snews developers got some input?

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 05:01:19 pm »

eriksson,

Is using the frameset an absolute requisite? If it is, I'd suggest moving your "nice" domain to a host that allows you to use it without needing redirects to fugly framesets. There are plenty around.

Joost

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 05:16:38 pm »

The code effects both comments and  contactform.
Not sure why you would want to log in throught the fake url.
FYI: Framesets cannot render  the sNews search engine friendly uri, its the nature of framesets not to do so.  For that reason framesets are considered to be search engine unfriendly and inaccessible to non-browsers user-agents and therefore  deprecated.
Using framesets is a very awkward way of redirecting anyway. Best is to point the url directly to the location.

Success. ;)