Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: Possible buggy, please confirm.  (Read 1967 times)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Possible buggy, please confirm.
« on: December 07, 2007, 11:51:56 am »

I found out something odd, could be that I'm odd, but nev'the'less, here goes:

Create a new page, set that as frontpage. Now assign an article to that, and viola, you have yourself a fresh frontpage, yes ? Nothing to argue about there... But, now, imagen you do things in the wrong order, when taking this page away... Just delete the sucker, and you have a article assigned to something that doesn't exist as it is no more... I thought it, the article, would be automatically assigned to the "new" frontpage, home, as the page that was a frontpage was deleted. That is not the case... Article still exists, in archive, and sitemap, but the default frontpage (home) shows "no content" as the article somewhere is assigned to something that isn't anymore... The previous pages which was deleted.

Now I found my way around this, but the enduser, the newbie might not... Is this a bug, or a mear feckup on my part, hehe... If a bug it should possible be delt with.

I'm signing off.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

centered

Re: Possible buggy, please confirm.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:42:02 pm »

Patric, how are you assigning an article to a page? I thought a page = article?

I can confirm though, creating an Page, assigning it as the home page, then deleting it, results in a Content Not Found.  I have an article in the home category that does no show up in it's place. Of course solving that would be go back to admin/settings and hit save, but it should be automatic...

Fix:
If a Page is set as the home page, then deleted, then update the display_page settings back to 0.  If not, do nothing
Find
Code: [Select]
case(isset($_POST['delete_article'])):then after the last query before the break add this:
Code: [Select]
if ($id = s('display_page')) { mysql_query("UPDATE ".db('prefix')."settings SET VALUE = 0 WHERE name = 'display_page' LIMIT 1"); } else { echo ''; }
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 12:59:56 pm by equilni »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: Possible buggy, please confirm.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:38:53 pm »

I experienced this same problem after creating my Pages in Categories mod. When we create new PAGES... we are creating completely separate, individual entities that have nothing to do with articles. When we create ARTICLES, sNews organizes them on ARTICLE pages... which are not the same as INDIVIDUAL PAGES.

How does sNews know the difference between a page, an article and an extra content? When we create each of these, they are assigned a position number that gets saved into the articles table with the rest of the content data. sNews then displays PAGES by selecting only content from the articles table that has position 3 assigned to it. sNews displays ARTICLES by selecting only content from the articles table that has position 1 assigned to it. Pages (position 3) are displayed as individual pages... and Articles (position 1) are organized in article pages using the default pagination system.

So... when you create an article... you do not want to assign it to a give PAGE... but only to a given Category... and sNews will take care of displaying it within that given category. When you create a PAGE and assign it as the HOME page... it is an entity unto itself... an individual page... and articles cannot (should not) be assigned to an individual page.

I hope this is not confusing... at least this is the way I am getting to understand it.  ;D
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU