Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Approval of comments is not working on snewsMU 1.6.2  (Read 4441 times)

crm

• planetmayfield.com
[RESOLVED] Approval of comments is not working on snewsMU 1.6.2
« on: December 04, 2007, 07:21:48 am »

I currently have two issues only, the first has been posted.  Other than these two minor issues, snews is running beautifully. 

I am developing my site locally on a Mac (OS X 10.5) and plan to push it to one of my two identical CentOS servers once all the the tweaks and mods are finished.  I only have three users in sNews that I am allowing, Admin, myself, and my wife.  I have create those users and logged into each one successfully.  I have disabled new user registration and set comments to be approved.

With that done I have added some Articles and commented a couple of times, logged in some and as a guest.  When I comment as guest everything appears to be happening great, snews notifies me that the comment will be posted once approved.

So I log in first as my user (set as Site Owner as are the Admin and my wife) and see that there is a comment waitin for approval.  I click the "1 comments waiting for approval" link and the title appears.  Next to it is a link to 'Edit' the comment and that is all.  I click on the edit link and it takes me to a page with no content (the minimal theme is there) but there is no message that says "Operation Completed Successfully."  Just whitespace.  Glancing at the URL it is still http://localhost/index.php?action=editcomment&commentid=2.  I am assuming this is the correct post URL to approve the comment?  But there is no checkbox, no approve, no delete.  Am I missing something here? Searching the forums it sounds like there should be at least a delete and/or a check box to select the comment for moderation.  is that the case?

I have not applied any mods to the installation which was fresh, only disabled user registration AFTER creating the two extra users as Admin.  And made all three users Site Owners.  I am using the default themes and have not altered the snewsMU.php.  Is this my problem or snews?  Has anyone seen this issue?

System Setup;
Mac OX 10.5 (using MAMP)
Apache 2.0.59
PHP 4.4.7
MySQL 4
sNews 1.6.2

Bowser is safari.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:54:59 am by crm »
Endlessly banging my head against the keyboard.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: Approval of comments is not working on snewsMU 1.6.2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:49:27 pm »

I haven't used MU much lately, so my installation is an untampered one (on a G5 iMac running MAMP on Leopard) and I don't see this problem at all. Sorry.

Normally I'd suspect an .htaccess problem but since logging in, writing articles and commenting obviously works, it doesn't seem to be .htaccess related.

Here's a thought. You've set all users as Site Owners, but have you granted all users the privilege to Admin comments? If not, do that first...

crm

• planetmayfield.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 09:47:55 pm »

Here's a thought. You've set all users as Site Owners, but have you granted all users the privilege to Admin comments? If not, do that first...

I had the same thought, but when I set up the accounts I set each of the users to be allowed to edit comments.  I wanted to see if I could go to Users administration and test different combinations with the users.  But each time I try navigating there I get a 403 Forbidden error, I can't determine if it is an .htaccess error.  It is described here; http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=6424.0. So I cannot do that until I get the 403 error fixed.

Thanks for the thoughts, I am still messing with it.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:51:15 pm »

hmm... 403 error makes me think there's something up with your MAMP installation, or possibly the location of the sNews files visavi the MAMP root. I notice the url you posted is "http://localhost/blablabla/" -- normally you'll assign a port for the MAMP site root (e.g /htdocs), for instance, I have my ~/user/SItes folder set as the MAMP site root, and it is assigned the port 8888, so all my local url's are "http://localhost:8888/blablabla/"

Not saying that this is the absolute way of doing things, it's just that I haven't seen a MAMP installation that doesn't have a specified port number assigned for the root folder. Could be worth looking into, perhaps.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

crm

• planetmayfield.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:44:52 am »

hmm... 403 error makes me think there's something up with your MAMP installation, or possibly the location of the sNews files visavi the MAMP root. I notice the url you posted is "http://localhost/blablabla/" -- normally you'll assign a port for the MAMP site root (e.g /htdocs), for instance, I have my ~/user/SItes folder set as the MAMP site root, and it is assigned the port 8888, so all my local url's are "http://localhost:8888/blablabla/"

I have changed the default port to listen on 80/3306 for Apache/MySQL respectively.  I changed it back to the default of 8888/8889 and I am still receiving the same problem.  As far as the directories, I have normally kept the MAMP file structure intact, no messing with putting my site in the ~/user/Sites directory.  So all files are in the root of the htdocs directory located at /Applications/MAMP/htdocs. 

Other than that, I'm stumped.

You and me both.  I think I am going to start over and actually create a sub-domain on one of my production server and see if that is the problem.  The 403 is stumping me since all the files have the correct permissions and the sNews users are Admins/SiteOwners.  I will report back what I find.  Thanks Fred!

If someone else has some ideas please let me know.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:33:57 am »

crm,

Have you read this thread?
Solution offered is to check your httpd.conf file to make sure Options+FollowSymLinks is active.
(Last time I installed MAMP it was active by default, but you never know.)

Cheers

crm

• planetmayfield.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:38:39 pm »

crm,

Have you read this thread?
Solution offered is to check your httpd.conf file to make sure Options+FollowSymLinks is active.
(Last time I installed MAMP it was active by default, but you never know.)

Cheers

Well I have Options set to All.  I have tried setting +FollowSymLinks but to no avail.  I am still working on getting this on one of my bare metal servers and actually testing it in a production environment.  I think you are right, it is looking more like a MAMP issue with Apache to me more and more.

I will let you know if I make any progress.  Thanks!!!

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 02:45:37 pm »

What if you install it on your CentOS server? Does the same error pop up there? Don't know if it's more work than it's worth, but it could serve as a litmus test.

crm

• planetmayfield.com
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 07:35:14 pm »

Well I installed it on one of my CentOS server and the same error is happening.  I am unable to approve comments.  For now I have enabled all comments rather than approval.

From what I can see everything is configured correctly.  .htaccess, AllowOverride, FollowSymLinks, etc...

I think I am out of ideas.  I am still continuing to test out different configurations.

Thanks for your help I will continue to report.

lilspen

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 08:36:42 am »

When you first install it you install it all correctly.
When you edit an admin profile/account it doesn't show certain things (admin comment. site owner. etc) and when you edit your account it simply changes them to the default (which is NO)
I found a fix for it...

The fix can be found here:

[PATCH]Admin account settings switch to NO (EDITED)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:58:50 am by nodnarb »

crm

• planetmayfield.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 07:54:38 am »

When you first install it you install it all correctly.
When you edit an admin profile/account it doesn't show certain things (admin comment. site owner. etc) and when you edit your account it simply changes them to the default (which is NO)
I found a fix for it...

The fix can be found here:

[PATCH]Admin account settings switch to NO (EDITED)

THANKS!!!!

Thank you so much this fixed the problem perfectly!

Can I send Karma your way?

lilspen

Re: [RESOLVED] Approval of comments is not working on snewsMU 1.6.2
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 07:50:46 am »

of course! :)
i welcome karma from wherever it comes from.

a little note.
with the other problem i encountered with my 'fix. i believe i have come up with a solution but i can't test it out until Jan. 3rd.
but in regards to your specific problem - glad i could help! :D