Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [UPDATED] Need thoughts and Input (Personal Template)  (Read 3686 times)

Status

[UPDATED] Need thoughts and Input (Personal Template)
« on: November 22, 2007, 05:27:03 am »

hey People,

I've been making this Template for a Project of mine for...about a hour or so... and would like some Input and Creative Criticism.

It is a work in progress still, and alot of things are just place holder Like the header fonts on the left and Right.

Click for the Image

~Status
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:33:10 am by Status »

ens

• http://www.meatysite.info
Re: Need thoughts and Input (Personal Template)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 11:58:27 pm »

I think it's good so far, but there are a few things I will comment on.

• 1. I'd rather see it a lot wider, because it looks to narrow right now.
  • 2. Is it going to be all images? I tend to not like only-images designs because they are heavy (long to download) and don't always look so great.
  • 3. The colour scheme is nice, but when you get some body text in there, I'd like to see at least one more colour.
  • 4. Subheaders in the menu could stand out a bit more... like bolded or bigger font size.
  • 5. Menu is WAY too squished together. Leave some whitespace, man.

Other than that.. good!

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 08:11:16 am »

I kind of like this "bubble" idea... However, I also do agree with ens on most of his opinions. It might be a small image showing what will be larger when actually done, but it seems a little narrow/small.

Imagebased - Totally agree. This design would be completely possible without any image at all, use CSS and XHTML.

Colors - Wont comment on that, as this is the most personal preference guided item on a site... What one like (pink ;) ) might be vomit enhancing to another...

Subheaders, aha... same thought here.

Logo vs. H2 (atleast I think it's H2, hehe) in the "boxes". Somehow I think the titles in the boxes take overhand. Logo "disappears" and focus is aimed for the boxtitles... Personally I want my eyes going from "top to bottom", so you need to trick them into doing that ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

eriknorum

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 08:23:00 am »

hey People,

I've been making this Template for a Project of mine for...about a hour or so... and would like some Input and Creative Criticism.

It is a work in progress still, and alot of things are just place holder Like the header fonts on the left and Right.

Click for the Image

~Status
Is the blue areas supposed to overlap the contentarea? Personally, I dont like that idea very much, I think it would look much nicer if they were outside the content area, and their "tops" would be in level with each other.I also think the menu tabs should have some space between them, besides from that it looks like you got something nice going there, keep us posted :D

Status

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 04:16:10 am »

Thanks for the Great Input guys, I will take some into account when I tackle the Design later (Assassin's Creed Currently controls my Life)

I will address a few things though:

1. The Width: Yes, After I posted the Image I thought to my self that it was very Thin... (It's a Paris Hilton Design :p) The width will be wider,.
2. Image Based: Nope, I'm going to *try* and make it as Image-less as I can, I may need a Few Background Images, but the rounded corners and Headers, are not going to be Images... well for people using anything but IE the Rounded corners will not be Images. (I will be using border-radius)
3. The Subheaders. Yeah, I put in all text in there, just as a Place holder of sorts, with No text editing what so ever (Besides the Headers).
4.The Main Menu. I wasn't that happy with how it turned out... I don't know what I was going for with it, I might re think the Main Menu.

The Side Boxes will remain overlaping a little bit of the content area, I think it looks good, but I do see what you mean eriknorum about the "tops", and I will be making them in line with each other... well, only the top of the first one... :p

A Quick Question, is there a way to make auto-detect what Browser someone is using and load that CSS? (eg: a CSS for IE, a CSS for everything else)
The border-radius css, doesn't seem to work on IE.

Again, Thank you for the Great input, I will post an Updated pic when I've added a few things.

~Status

Joost

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:10:43 am »

Client side:

Conditional comments can be used for an additional stylesheet. It is recognized by IE browsers. Other browser will just see a comment. It looks like this

Code: [Select]
<!--[if lt IE 7)]>
<p>You're using an IE browser, but not IE7 </p>
<![endif]-->

Server side:
Or you can use Server Side Includes (SSI):
Normally SSI is only parsed when using shtml extension. However you can configure the server to parse php files as well in htaccess

Some sources for example code:
http://www.ssi-developer.net/ssi/ssi-echo.shtml
http://www.bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

Conditional comments might be the easiest of both since Conditional comments are only recognized in IE

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 07:20:29 am »

for people using anything but IE the Rounded corners will not be Images

Just be aware that most browsers that support border-radius (e.g Firefox and Webkit/Safari, afaik) require vendor prefixes for it to work, e.g -moz-border-radius and -webkit-border-radius. Also note that Firefox 2 does not support individual border-radius while Webkit/Safari 3 does. So, as usual, browsers pick and choose their CSS support.

Status

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:32:48 am »

Thanks Fred, Yeah, I'm aware of the Prefixes, but thanks for reminding me ^_^

Ok, I've attacked the layout again, I think I've addressed some of the issues people had (I know the top Menu's White Space issue has)...

Click for Version 2 (I would post an Image on the forums, insted of link off Site, But I don't want to lag people who have slow connection.)

Ok, Things that have changed.
 1. I've made the Main Area Wider, The width as it is show may only be a temp width.
 2. I've Moved both the Right and Left side things Up a Bit, and Lined the Left with the Right.
 3. I've Intended the Right menu things, and Clearly showed the sub headings.
 4. I've changed the Main (Top) menu, It is now in the center with a Little Triangle to show Hovered and Current page. I am happy with how the menu turned out.
 5. The Main text will be in it's own box. The Font will be Gray with Blue Bold Text showing Links with in the Main text area. The Headers Box will change Widths depending on the Header, Just thought I would point that out.

While Typing up the things I've changed, I did notice that the Right Menu's text is a Tad small, and looks odd, this will change. It will be the same size as the main text. and the Headers on the Left, are what the side menu's will look like, I forgot to change "The Sets" Header.

Thoughts?