Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snewsMU - htaccess  (Read 2267 times)

rob101

snewsMU - htaccess
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:38:16 pm »

The current MU distribution contains the htaccess as a .txt file.

It could cause issues for new users.
Perhaps this should either be renamed as .htaccess, or there should be a mention in the installation instructions that it needs to be renamed once on the webserver.

Rob

jlhaslip

• My snews with AEF Forum site
Re: snewsMU - htaccess
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:32:59 pm »

I think the .htaccess.txt file is there for the benefit of mac users since they can not see the normal .htaccess file due to the period in the front.
But I could be wrong.
Yes! I have no siggy.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:33 pm »

Right you are Jay. Agentsmith, our resident Mac Snoozer, recommended that we include the text-based htaccess for Mac users. If you are not a Mac user, then you can simply delete the .txt file and use the default .htacess file that comes in your package.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:09 pm »

...or there should be a mention in the installation instructions that it needs to be renamed once on the webserver.
As keys said.. but I think this suggestion is a good one.
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:33:59 pm »

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't checked the latest version of sMU, but when I sent the developers of MU the revised files (for Mac) I included a note about the .htaccess use. I have since then included the same note in the standard distro (SU) that you can find on my Mac-centric site. The note goes like this, in readme.html:

4. The .htaccess file
The default installation package comes with a file called .htaccess. Mac OS X users will not see this file, unless you use a text editor or FTP client that allows you to view invisible files. For that reason, we also include a text file named htaccess.txt, that is visible and editable on any OS, including the Mac. To use this file, open it in your text editor, make changes if necessary and save as .htaccess (without any other file ending .htaccess is a file ending in itself).

Why would you need to edit the .htaccess? If you install the snews files on the server root, you do not. But if you install them in a subfolder, for example if you drop the entire snews folder on your server, then you must edit the RewriteBase line to incorporate that folder name and location. Example:
RewriteBase /snews
Note that there is no # at the start of the RewriteBase, meaning that it is active, and that there is no trailing slash at the end, which is necessary in snews.php, but not here.

Now, rob, if you only see the htaccess.txt file in your package, then yes, you need to resave it as .htaccess and yes, that should be in the readme file for MU. I was under the impression it was, but I could be wrong. It's not there now, that's for sure.

Oh, the Mac distro on my site is the default sNews 1.6, no mods, no additions except the htaccess.txt file and the amendment in the readme. Available for all to get. ;)