Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Help with site.  (Read 3283 times)

jared351

Help with site.
« on: September 28, 2007, 12:45:47 am »

Today I took it upon my self to code a site that would be optimized for the iphone. I am trying to lay out the general structure of it so I can get it properly scaled. The images are low quality, but  they are just for testing purposes. I'm trying to get the header image to display up top, and then the footer on the bottom but for some reason they won't show up. It's probably something that I left out. heres the link to the test site....http://jhdezyn.freehostia.com/iphone/....Thanks!

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: Help with site.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:25:06 am »

wait,, wait, wait ... jared -- just build the site according to web standards and use Safari, preferably on a Mac for ground testing. iPhone uses the public release Safari as web browser. The full release*. No hanky panky.
In other words, what works in Firefox, Opera 9, Safari 2 and 3  on a desktop or laptop computer will work on the iPhone. It's that easy.

This is assuming we're talking website websites here and not some iPhone app/widget thing. ;)

*) Full release minus Flash plugin (and possibly some other plugins)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:28:07 am by Fred K (agentsmith) »

jared351

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:40:13 am »

Thanks for replying Fred. I totally understand where you are coming from. Take a look at this link...http://i.typepad.com/...and if you put this on an iphone or the ipod touch, it will be fitted to the screen quite nicely. I am trying to take the same approach as this, so it will display nicely like an app, but it will have a list of content being displayed from the web. I hope I'm explaining this right..Im just having a problem getting the header image to display and the footer image...Thanks for the help..

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:57:16 am »

yeah, ok, I misread your post slightly ... what can I say, I need sleep... ;)
according to the Activity view of your test site, the images are being accessed properly, so something else is blocking them Have you tried without the main background, just the header and footer backgrounds?

jared351

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 02:02:28 am »

I need some too..lol... Well I tried your idea and they still werent showing up...It's confusing me..Never had this happen before.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 03:14:54 am »

just a thought before I doze off ... try putting some content in your header and/or footer. They should get height anyway, but the footer at least does not appear to be getting its defined 45px. lorem ipsum. See if that does anything.

jared351

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 03:22:06 am »

I was actually looking at another site that is optimized for th iPhone and I looked at how they approached it, and i figured out how to get the images to display...For some reason it works when you call the image within the index.html file...Now its gonna take some styling...ugg..

centered

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 01:52:34 pm »

styling aint too hard... 

gl with this, I dont have an iphone/ipod touch, but the biggest thing (what others say..) is mobile web, so good to get a head start on it...

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:31:04 pm »

I wonder... might the Adaptive Layout Technique help you achieve your objective?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

jared351

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:09:34 pm »

Hey Keyrocks. Thanks for the handy link...I have just now started to mess around with mobile web design..and to be honest its a little rough to work with such small amount of space yet it is possible...but I'm going to keep plugging away at it  :)

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 09:35:27 pm »

The thing with iPhone/iPod Touch's mobWeb handling, as I pointed out at the top, is that it uses the same WebKit rendering engine as the current release version of Safari -including the v3 beta- (and other apps). In other words, sites don't really need anything special done to them in order to work "normally" in iPhone/iPod Touch.

However, these two gadgets do not have support for the Flash browser plugin, so all Flash content is ignored, and you will want to "lighten" your site if you anticipate lots of mobile visitors (personally I have <1% on my sites, but that's me), e.g no heavy graphics, don't overload your pages with content etc. The normal pruning measures for mobiles.
Cameron Moll has a brand new book about Mobile Web Design coming out, and a website for it, designed by none other than Jesse Bennet-Chamberlain, by the way.

However, again, if you want to target iPhone/iPod Touch users exclusively you don't _have to_ do a special mobile version of your site. As pointed out in previous posts, you can and it might be a good idea, but it's not _necessary_. Hm, this whole post is a big sidebar and not really related to jareds problem as such. Just so you know. ;)

jared351

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:36:36 pm »

Hey Fred. I totally understand that the iphone or the ipod touch will render the website..(excluding flash that you pointed out)..just as it is...I guess what I'm trying to do is make a subsite if you will targeting the iphone. When you are on an iPhone, on virtually every website, you have to scale it to a certain extent for it to become clear. I was looking at this apple developer page that helps you optimize your content for the iPhone, meaning less images, and strait to the point content...and when you get on the site, it will be already fit to the screen nicely and the content will be readable without scaling...I guess it would mimic the iphone apps....Heres the link to the developer page...http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2007/tn2100.html..for a visual of what im talking about..Sorry for the rambling.. ;)