Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [Package] sNews 1.6 MEMU = Modular, Enhanced & Multiple Users  (Read 36876 times)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
[Package] sNews 1.6 MEMU = Modular, Enhanced & Multiple Users
« on: September 10, 2007, 02:42:00 am »

NOW AVAILABLE - sNews 1.6 MEMU v.1.1
Validation Patches Applied: - January 21.08
Security Patch Applied: - January 01.08
First Release: - November 12.07
Before Downloading: please read through the Readme File.
Download Location: snews16_memu.zip.

==========================================================================================
VALIDATION REVISIONS APPLIED
January 21.08
The Admin panel modifications in this package required several revisions to clear up persistent source validation errors.
All affected Admin panel sections wererevised this date and all changes are now included in the current download package.
==========================================================================================
SECURITY PATCH APPLIED
January 01.08
A security issue was discovered by Codetwist on Dec.31.07. His patch/solution has been applied to the current download package, available from the
link in the section below. Thanks Codetwist.  :)

The revised MEMU 1.1 package is now available and replaces the first version - 1.0 - that was here until now. As noted previously, this package differs from the first version. I've dropped a couple of mods - the Hidden Articles and Site Statistics in particular.

I've added a number of Admin Panel (streamlining here and there) improvements, 2 additional content positions (extras), Bramsyuur's database back-up Admin Panel, Ruimendes' Multiple Category positions mod. I had hoped to introduce a new Admin Tips Panels system on the Admin Panels (addon) for non-techie site admins, but it slows Admin page-loading time noticably (still needs more testing time). The package still includes several other previous mods, as well as bakercad's Template Switch Admin Panel... to switch site-wide templates.

The Mods Folder: A new convenience (at least for me) is using the mods folder as a place to add new functions or functions that completely replace functions within the snewsMU.php (engine) file. When possible, I want to modify my engine files as little as possible... although with some of the more significant mods - like Bakercad's MU mod or additional "Extra" content positions... that isn't the case. However... if a new function can run from its own file... I put it in a new file of its own in the mods folder and simply add an "include" string to the bottom section of the new config.php file... and it is included along with all of the functions in core.php. Actually, any function can be removed from the snewsMU.php file and converted into an individual file in the mods folder, and included with all system function in the same way.

If a function needs to be active within an existing function in snewsMU.php... I include it into the respective function by using the simple PHP function statement within the function. As an example... Bakercad's Template Switch Mod displays a new "Templates" Admin Panel within the "Settings Panel" group. The function that displays this Panel is located in mods/templates.php and... to have it display within the // SETTINGS FORM function... we simply insert temp_switch(); (the name of the function in templates.php) and it automatically displays within the Settings Panel Group.

NOTE: As usual, projects like these are always a "Work in Progress". It is running well offline. For more information on usage of mods by others, use the links from within the readme_memu.html file (included with the package) to visit the mod topics on these Forums.  ;D

Important Installation Notes:
Mac OS Users: Before getting started... read Installing sNews on a Mac" by Agentsmith, our experienced Mac OS sNews installer. There are notes in the readme_memu.html file on a work-around for Mac users on how to use the htaccess.txt file as a substitute when the default .htaccess file is invisible on a Mac OS-powered machine.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:22:32 pm by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Rui Mendes

• Development,Testing, Support
  • sNews1.7
    • Comunidade Portuguesa
Re: [Package] sNews 1.6 MEMU = Modular, Enhanced & Multiple Users
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 03:18:24 am »

Works perfect.

CONGRATULATIONS @Key. You have a excellet work (best work)

Thank you.
Need a Job on Europe. Linkdin - Facebook / Group

centered

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 03:26:06 am »

Awesome Keys.  I am testing it out now.  One bug I did find - the Trail Policy.doc/sing-pedestal.pdf did not show up under file links under the new article function

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 02:48:06 pm »

Works perfect.
CONGRATULATIONS @Key. You have a excellet work (best work)
Thank you.
And... thank you for your kind comment. (it remains a work in progress) I must again thank the authors of all the mods in this package who have willingly shared their ongoing work for all of us to make use of.

Awesome Keys.  I am testing it out now.  One bug I did find - the Trail Policy.doc/sing-pedestal.pdf did not show up under file links under the new article function
Sorry about that... I should have removed that file from the package as it was one I had 'uploaded' in my offline project package (removed now). You are only experiencing that problem because... the link to a file gets created and put into the database "upfiles" table when the file is uploaded. If the file is in the folder but was not uploaded through the Files Management Panel, then no link is created for display. This function needs a bit more work (no time yet). While you can delete a file from the Files Management Panel... I have not managed yet to figure out how to have the link (in the upfiles table) get deleted at the same time... so links will still display after a file is deleted... and can only be removed by going into the database and deleting them from the upfiles table. If anyone else can add that link deletion to this function, please pass it on and I'll make the update.  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:02:35 pm by Keyrocks »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mattonik

• http://www.mattonik.sk
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:25:53 pm »

wow, this is really great. i was hoping that somebody will get these two packages together. i gonna check that file list issue as soon as i download and install it. btw. working on new version of my image links panel mod...

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:45:07 pm »

Good to see that you are still with us Mattonik. I look forward to your review of the File Links function I based on your Internal Links mod. It and your functions are located in manage_files.php in the mods folder.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 02:02:30 am »

Hmmm... I know next to nothing about rss feeds and related stuff. I know there was a problem with an older version of Codetwist's sNews Performance Booster mod for 1.6 but Codie provided an update that fixed it. The MEMU has his mod in booster.php in the mods folder. I just checked my offline project (running with XAMPP on XP) and... when I click an rss link (in the footer) the current sNews page (on the screen) stays the same and shows no error. So I disabled booster.php by commenting out its "include" string (near the bottom of config.php) and re-activated the default function in core.php and... same thing. This will need some more exploration time.

codetwist

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 06:55:31 am »

Hmmm... I know next to nothing about rss feeds and related stuff. I know there was a problem with an older version of Codetwist's sNews Performance Booster mod for 1.6 but Codie provided an update that fixed it. The MEMU has his mod in booster.php in the mods folder. I just checked my offline project (running with XAMPP on XP) and... when I click an rss link (in the footer) the current sNews page (on the screen) stays the same and shows no error. So I disabled booster.php by commenting out its "include" string (near the bottom of config.php) and re-activated the default function in core.php and... same thing. This will need some more exploration time.
Keyrocks, as You can see from decanis post - rss is working as such; only it's output isn't correct. So, logically, no reason to check once more if rss is launched or not as it's only thing which booster could have impact on. And BIG NO, NO - booster never had any problems with rss and so never Codie has provide any update to fix this NONEXISTENT PROBLEM  >:(

@decani : There were some posts regarding rss problems/fixes; You might be better off trying to search for them or putting up separate topic in problem solving.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 02:36:13 pm »

@ Codie... my apologies... I confused the issue with your fix for sitemap.xml. So sorry.  :P

sibas

• www.simply4all.net
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 02:57:42 pm »

Hi Keyrocks
Great work one more time  ;D

I try sNews 1.6 MEMU and i add  a new user, snews send email to user but have bad headers

This is from user in gmail
WARNING: bad headers - Improper use of control character (char 0D hex): From:
sNews 1.6 MU  <info@example.com>\r\n

Tarasishe

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 06:21:16 pm »

Interesting assembly. Thanks. Only for me does not work " ADMIN FILE LINKS PANEL " files are loaded, but are not displayed in the panel, on visible the information on them does not enter the name in the table upfiles

The editor and an opportunity to do thumbnail pictures:-) has very much liked

Also it would be desirable to have an opportunity to forbid \resolve registration of users, as in original sNews 1.6 MU

Also has made full translation on Russian, it is possible to include in assembly

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 05:08:30 pm »

1)  " ADMIN FILE LINKS PANEL " files are loaded, but are not displayed in the panel, on visible the information on them does not enter the name in the table upfiles
2)  The editor and an opportunity to do thumbnail pictures:-) has very much liked
3)  Also it would be desirable to have an opportunity to forbid \resolve registration of users, as in original sNews 1.6 MU
4)  Also has made full translation on Russian, it is possible to include in assembly
@ Tarasishe...
1)  I have the same problem on my project install as well. For the time being - disable the function by commenting out this string - Filelinks_Panel(); within the //IMAGELINKS function in manage_files.php located in the mods folder. The function's panel will no longer display. I am working on an alternative file uploader script to replace it.

3)  Do you mean you would rather have the "public" registration link active as it is now in bakercad's default MU package? I have that currently disabled so that all new accounts are only created by the Admin from the Admin panels. Search for this section in the // DISPLAY PAGES function and remove the comment slashes (shown in red)... this will display the "Register" link in the pages menu:

## MULTI_USER - Displays the public "Register" link in pages menu
   //if (s('registration_off') != 'on') {
   //if ($_SESSION[db('website').'Logged_In'] != token()) {
   //$class = ($categorySEF == 'register') ? ' class="current"': '';
   //echo '<li><a'.$class.' href="'.db('website').'register/" title="'.l('register').'">'.l('register').'</a></li>';
   //   }  }
   ## END MULTI_USER

4)  Yes. You can create and use any other language file. Copy and paste the english.php file to a temporary location... re-name it as "russian.php"... then cut and paste it into the languages folder. Open the file and replace all of the variables (as requried) within the array, being careful to ensure you also have all of the additional variables that are required for all the mods in the package. Then...  near the bottom of config.php file... add and enable a new "include" string for your new file and comment out the one for english.php.

# language file currently in use - one choice only
include ('languages/russian.php'); // russian language file
// include ('languages/english.php'); // english language file
//include ('languages/french.php'); // french language file, if exists.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:14:15 pm by Keyrocks »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:01:40 pm »

Hi Keyrocks
1)  Great work one more time  ;D
2)  I try sNews 1.6 MEMU and i add  a new user, snews send email to user but have bad headers
This is from user in gmail:

WARNING: bad headers - Improper use of control character (char 0D hex): From:
sNews 1.6 MU  <info@example.com>\r\n
@ sibas...
1)  Thank you for your kind comment.
2)  I have no idea where that comes from... I haven't run this package or the default MU package online... only as offline projects so far... and you guys are the "testers"  ;D
Have you tried installing and running the default MU package yet... to see if that happens with it or not? Might be worth a try if you have room on your server.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 03:41:39 am by Keyrocks »

sibas

• www.simply4all.net
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 02:12:58 am »

Hey sorry for this delay we have election in Greece so itís panic about everything.
I try default MU as soon i have free time   ;)
Now about bad header i change from
# 3. 1.6.0 - revised section with math captcha removed.
few lines bellow

Code: [Select]
$header .= "From: $name <$mail>\r\nReply-To: $name <$mail>\r\nReturn-Path: <$mail>\r\n";
to
Code: [Select]
$header .= "From: $name <$mail>\n"; //Reply-To: $name <$mail>\r\nReturn-Path: <$mail>\r\n";
and seems that donít have problem.

PS: About this snews MU i have see some problems but donít have time to find them, perhaps next week.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 02:20:25 am by sibas »

Ken Dahlin

• http://www.kendahlin.com/
response headers are always of type text/html
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 09:47:28 am »

It seems there is a problem with any function that starts calls the PHP header() function. For example if you look at the HTTP headers for /rss-articles you'll see that "Content-Type: text/html" is sent before "Content-type: text/xml; charset=UTF-8"... which breaks the rss feeds. Similarly, try to request a page that does not exist, and the correct 404 headers are not returned. Unfortunately, I don't know why yet???

Update:

In PHP function header(), if anything at all (even a blank line) is sent to the browser, PHP will automatically default to a header response of type text/html. So to fix this in your distribution, all you have to do is remove the blank lines at the end of every PHP file in the include path: (english.php, french.php, snusers.php, templates.php, booster.php, manage_files.php, lead_articles.php, core.php, etc.). Pretty simple. It will probably fix a couple other things too.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:27:41 am by Ken Dahlin »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6