Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WP Theme "Blue Zinfandel" ported for sNews 1.6  (Read 12442 times)

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
WP Theme "Blue Zinfandel" ported for sNews 1.6
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:00:03 am »

Following the request in this thread, I have now released the sNews 1.6 version of Brian Gardner's WP theme "Blue Zinfandel". It has not been tested yet in IE, but it works across the board of standards compliant browsers (your 'foxes, your Safaris, your Operas).

Demo (removed)
Download: http://frdk.com/downloads/zinfandel.zip or go here
Release notes: http://frdk.com/blog/templates/

There may be a few more of Brian's themes coming your way in time. ;)
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:31:25 pm by Fred K (agentsmith) »

Kahm1

Re: WP Theme "Blue Zinfandel" ported for sNews 1.6
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:44:51 am »

I got it up and running, and I got to say, it looks fantastic!!! Thanks so much. I actually have one issue though, I get a function error right at the top. I went through all of the read-me, so I'm not sure what I could have missed. Here's the live site.

http://nynw.net/index.php
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 05:01:58 am by Kahm1 »

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 05:07:03 am »

Hi Kahm1,
There's nothing wrong in the theme files, I've doublechecked, so I can only assume that you have some stray character(s) in the wrong place after your modifications. You've added the Google ads for example, it's possible that this is the culprit, but it's difficult to say without seeing your actual files. However, since the error message identifies line 1 as the problem, I'd guess that there's something appearing before the <?php session_start ... line. That is not allowed, so check the top of your index.php file first. It could be something as simple as a blankspace or a dot or a comma. There's not supposed to be anything at all before php session_start.
See if that helps, else get back to me.

Kahm1

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:21:01 am »

The error message was there before I added the google ad box. I've looked at the index file, and there wasn't any interruptions before line 1. Maybe it's because I'm using note pad as my editor?

tarmithius13

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:06:37 am »

Did you modify the snews.php file by any chance?
The trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Free sNews templates HERE

Kahm1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:35:09 am »

Just to modify the DB settings.

Joost

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:41:21 am »

The error message was there before I added the google ad box. I've looked at the index file, and there wasn't any interruptions before line 1. Maybe it's because I'm using note pad as my editor?
Welcome to sNews Kahm1,

Most likely there is hidden code before line 1, if you have saved the file as unicde/utf-8. So either you save it as ansi, or use an editor like notepad++ if you need the unicode.

More info

Update: The hidden code is visible in the browser: 
That's caused by the Byte Order Mark (BOM). So save index.php without BOM, using a good editor.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 08:58:52 am by Joost »

Kahm1

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 09:00:24 am »

Joost, thank you so much. As you can see, I was able to clear the error, thank you and for everyone's help!

Kahm1

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 07:35:54 pm »

Hopefully, this the last thing I'll find an issue with. In the admin area, whenever I got to edit/create an article, the text box is huge. It goes outside the table. Any help?

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 03:38:09 am »

Sorry, Kahm -- a small brain malfunction on my part caused that problem... I simply forgot to style the textarea. It has been fixed and the download file has been updated (see first post for link). If you just want the stylesheet(s), you can get the standard one here and the IE styles here. Both stylesheets have been updated with the fix.

Small note, since you incorporate movie clips on your site it's a good idea to add a style rule for object that contains at least a specific width value, I'd also add some margin at top and bottom of object but that's me.
Example of the style rule to go in style.css or windoh.css or both as you prefer:
object {width: 320px; height: auto; margin: 1em 0;}
(Aim for a width that fits most of your different video clips if from different sources. "Height: auto" will see to it that the proprtions of the object is maintained when the original size of the content is larger or smaller than the set width.)

Hope that helps, if not shoot me a PM or an email.
Cheers.

Zucye

• Simplemente una Mujer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 04:39:03 pm »

Very nice Mr. Smith!
We can always learn from our failures, not so much from obvious success - C. Robinson (W. Disney). :)

Rui Mendes

• Development,Testing, Support
  • sNews1.7
    • Comunidade Portuguesa
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 08:47:54 pm »

Just to say, You do a greate Templates, I love this template (It's my favorite).
A karma for you.  ;)

Very good Job Mr. Smith.
Need a Job on Europe. Linkdin - Facebook / Group

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 02:32:40 am »

Muchas gracias, Z. Obrigado, Rui. But you know, I didn't create this template, I only ported it for sNews (and in this particular case, that was a small job). Brian Gardner (www.briangardner.com) is responsible for the design. But I agree, it is a good template.
;)

Rui Mendes

• Development,Testing, Support
  • sNews1.7
    • Comunidade Portuguesa
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 03:35:48 am »

I love simplicity. Maybe I'll use this template, and made some changes.  ;D
I start using GIMP (same photoshop) I'm a beginner (I don't know yet pass from a template from GIMP to css, maybe you give me some ideias  ;D)

It's IE problem as always  >:(
FF is everything OK

One problem to Zinfandel template (date place):
- FF is OK View
- IE not OK View

I add your contact to my messenger.
Thank you, just try help to make your templates compatible with all browsers.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:04:33 am by Rui Mendes »
Need a Job on Europe. Linkdin - Facebook / Group

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 03:50:33 am »

Thanks Rui,
I know that IE --primarily IE6-- have some issues with my templates. That is why I have a note on the showcase page that says:
Quote from: IE warning
Important note about IE6: The templates provided here are built according to W3C standards for XHTML (content) and CSS (style). This means that some of them—“NYC” in particular—will probably cause IE6 (and older) some headache. That is due to IE6’s lack of standards support and is not a fault in the templates. If you need to support IE6 then you may better off with a template designed for that browser. Personally, I prefer my templates to work in a number of modern browsers rather than one aging browser.

The short answer is that IE6 has been replaced by a somewhat better version in terms of standards support (IE7). I choose to not support IE6, so I will not go to any lengths to make the templates work in that browser. NYC is particularly complicated (for IE6) because it uses accumulative classes (<div class="dark bigtext narrow">...</div>, as an example), which IE6 doesn't understand. Sorry, but that's how it's built.

As for the date problem in the Zinfandel theme, I'll look into it, but I can't promise it will be fixed soon.
*oh, if only M$ would understand the benefits of supporting accepted standards...*
Pages: [1] 2 3