Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What I like to see in next version  (Read 2813 times)

sibas

• www.simply4all.net
What I like to see in next version
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:45:56 pm »

I wish the next snews to have standard the following.

In comments
1) When users posting some comment I like to have optional to add also the email.
(Not show in public)

2) Also I like to display in admin panel (when approve some comment) date & time of the comments posting.
(Some times just we go for holidays or other trips and when come back u see 20 comments but you donít know when they post this comment, you see the time only when you approve comment)

For users
(Optional)
3) I like to have one folder for users, so users can upload pictures.
(This maybe helps snews to develop new functions and new ideaís for many others uses, like video, music, etc. Or they can upload bookmarks)

4) They are some mod in this forum and I thing is very useful but they donít have the right attention, like, tell to a fiend, and vote.
I wish both of them to include in next version of snews, after some modifications.

5) This I am going to try my self but I am not programmer so I donít know the results.
I like to include wap for mobile.
This can do similar like we display RSS, wap is very easy and I thing is very useful.

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
Re: What I like to see in next version
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:24:49 am »

Thanks for your interest in the sNews project and development sibas :)
Allow me to address a couple of these suggestions:

In comments
1) When users posting some comment I like to have optional to add also the email.
(Not show in public)
Good suggestion :)

2) Also I like to display in admin panel (when approve some comment) date & time of the comments posting.
Another good suggestion.

4) They are some mod in this forum and I thing is very useful but they don’t have the right attention, like, tell to a fiend, and vote.
I wish both of them to include in next version of snews, after some modifications.
These kind of MODs wont be included in sNews, simply because the aim of the sNews project is to provide a lightweight framework that developers can then add MODs to at their discretion.  The MODs you have suggested would not be considered for inclusion in the core.

Cheers :)
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 01:36:11 am »

Thanks for the suggestions Sibas. You sparked my interest with suggestions 1 & 2.
Actually, they were not that difficult to achieve. I did these this afternoon and am just in the process of cleaning up the code and drafting the actual MOD for posting later this evening... in the 1.6 Mods & Addons section. They didn't require a lot of extra code, so they could be included in the next version if it gets a vote of approval from the "Revision Board".  :)

3 - Actually, if you are using bakercad's MU package (or my MEMU package), several users can be created with a few permission levels... and one of those permissions is access to the Files Management Panel where uploading is permitted. You can add folders to your root by user-name and they would have access to them. The only hitch is they would have access to all folders that are available to upload into... not just their own. That would require a serious amount of code-doodling.

4 & 5 - As Pix noted... all developers are free to create, use, modify and improve on any mod here on the forums. Perhaps your or someone else will upgrade or create the ones you mentioned. That's the spirit that drives the sNews project.  ;)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

sibas

• www.simply4all.net
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:13:46 pm »

piXelatedEmpire & keyrocks I understand your point about lightweight framework.
My idea is that some mod can rapid forward the use of sNews, many people they donít know how to add mod or to modified.
The ability to use sNews with some preinstall mod is something that many people looking for,
not everyone is developer, of this point of view I thing many going to like sNews more and use it more.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:11:16 pm »

piXelatedEmpire & keyrocks I understand your point about lightweight framework.
My idea is that some mod can rapid forward the use of sNews, many people they donít know how to add mod or to modified.
The ability to use sNews with some preinstall mod is something that many people looking for,
not everyone is developer, of this point of view I thing many going to like sNews more and use it more.
@ Sibas... your points are well taken and right on the mark. Most newcomers to sNews are not programmers and are not comfortable with making code modifications. An auto-install system would be useful for those who just want to get a site up and running without modifications. These, and other worthy suggestions, all have merit to varying degrees.

However, what most newcomers to sNews may not realise is... the sNews project - as it is presented on this website - is really just a developers' framework project... a framework or basic core that developers (programmers) can take as-is and use to build their own enhanced or modified CMS projects with. It is also a good framework for anyone just getting into the world of programming... a good, compact, simple system to 'cut your teeth' on.

In this light... we expect that a few developers will create enhanced packages in different forms or variants... as "forks" if you wish... and these will eventually emerge as new CMS packages on other developer-owned websites... to suit a wider range of users including those with absolutely no programming experience.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

sibas

• www.simply4all.net
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:09:03 pm »

OK that was crystal answer, always is nice when understand whatís go in on.
And I thing this is one of the main reasons that sNews is such great CMS,
I love the people around here. ;)