Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: WIP template  (Read 28398 times)

centered

WIP template
« on: August 15, 2007, 05:14:18 am »

Based on Full Apart's SImple Life template, I wanted to set focus on the content but maintain simplicity in function.  I am all about simplicity and minimalism.  Opinions please, good or bad.  It is a WIP for my new site, so anything and everything helps some.

The forums is resizing the pics, just right click and select View Image to see a full view

Joost

WIP template
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:23:27 am »

I really don't like the wood. Unless it is real, i always associate it with the cheap stuff (furniture and floors) you can buy at a discount market. I am sorry to say.  :(
 Anything else goes.

Said in a more positive way: You don't need the wood.

centered

WIP template
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:09:21 pm »

Good point and well taken.. Simple change:

4Sandrix

• http://fedrick.deviantart.com
WIP template
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:43:11 pm »

well as for me the wood doens't associate me with the cheep stuff.. in my country everything natural costs much. so I like the wooden version.
I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie

centered

WIP template
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:17:22 pm »

Good point too Sandrix,  Maybe a style switcher for the background...

Anyother thoughts Sandrix, love to hear opinions from a you on what to add, take away, etc

4Sandrix

WIP template
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:40:21 pm »

Well If I would you,

1. I would Ad the Wooden Texture to the Header and Footer...(only horizontally directed.. not vertically as it was on background..) and please leave the first version.. second one is to simple...

2. I'dd customize the Search field with Button... I'dd remove the button and do something in Apples style. rounded input field.. and enter key to submit the data.. not really friendly but I think(and Apple inc. also :P )  it will suffice.

3. Also I think that Wooden Tabs in Menu would look better then this light green background. and I'd use some little green leaf to indicate the Active Menu item as well as the mouse hovered one.

Advice - Do Not Change THe Logo and "centered effect" text positioning it's really great.
Sorry for my brocken English.

centered

WIP template
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:22:47 am »

Well that changes my course of action...

I had this before I read your post

... and adding the wood grain to the tops.  I like!

Now the tabbed menu.  I tried it and I wasnt crazy about it at all.  I also tried a full tab over the entire block and mimicing it, but adding some perspective to it, but the nav seemed to futuristic and not in check with the rest of the theme so to speak..

.. I will work on it later

*seems the forum is resizing the bottom pic.. I thought it looked too bright for a second

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
WIP template
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 01:13:36 am »

@ centered... I agree with Sandrix on the wood in the header and footer. I must admit to having a personal love of the look of red-toned mahogany, mainly because I'm a classic wooden boat fan (and builder some years ago)... and any bright red-toned wood-grain turns me on. Your template design project is certainly evolving here. Keep it going. :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Joost

WIP template
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:43:04 am »

No, I have nothing against wood. The first background reminds me of coated hardboard with a wood pattern print. Although like  the one without the background best, I don't have that bad association with the other wood patterns used. Now it looks classy.  :)

I love to sail classic wooden ships. But,... all the maintenance :rolleyes:

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
WIP template
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 03:37:13 am »

Quote from: Joost
I love to sail classic wooden ships. But,... all the maintenance :rolleyes:
Yes, indeed... I haven't forgotten the maintenance factor. At my age, maintaining my fibreglass boat is even a chore I am not fond of. :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

4Sandrix

WIP template
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 05:43:05 am »

Ok Centered

3 things :P

1.  Make the Wood texture more sharp and visible on the header..
2. Search box looks very very nice only:P

and the 3rd part.. I had some time to think about your design, so I did something like this, I hope I'm not acting rude, but if you like it I can provide you with a psd file. Cheers mate.

4Sandrix

WIP template
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 07:26:24 am »

4Sandrix

WIP template
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 07:40:01 am »

I like this one... I don't have the blank PSD to edit your work.. so "C" is sticking out from the left side of tabs... You can remove it later... or leave it it's some kind of original abreviation :P also you can place the "centered effect" on the grey line...

p.s. I just givin sharing my ideas nothing more mate :)

p.p.s and another Idea, You can make logo look more chromed or something.. with blinks and glossy effect.. a peace of titan or someth.. add some lens flare

codetwist

WIP template
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:15 am »

Amazing thread to read  :)

centered

WIP template
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 11:01:54 am »

hmm.. I like the tabs but tell me what you think about this:

I added more definition to the wood grain on the header and footer and added some gloss to the logo (top and bottom).  I also added some sample text as to show what I may be doing with it (inspired by avalonstar).  I guess it would require making the infoline as a seperate function to place in a div

The forum will resize this but... side by side comparion to what is designed so far to what is already coded in the original:

EDIT - hmm the wood grain didn't come out as expected... I may have moved something before I saved it....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5