Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another CSS Issue.  (Read 4513 times)

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Another CSS Issue.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 04:28:46 am »

Well the only viable solution I have to those questions is "try until it works".
How does your text look in a 'foreign' font? If you target foreign audiences you will need to factor in fonts, or 'character rendering' might be a better term, for target languages. Some OS fonts have built-in support for Cyrillic while for other alphabets you'll need to find other fonts that are widespread in that language/alphabet area. The only thing you as a designer can do, imho, is test on as many target systems as possible, test different fonts on those systems to get an appreciation of how they look in different environments, and try to aquire as much experience as possible. Sooner or later you will know what works.

As for special characters, your safest bet is using html and/or ASCII entities, but there are no guarantees. Opera and IE for example have an issue with rendering many html entities that other browsers gladly accept. Again, testing in many different environments is the only real solution.

The same goes for font sizes: there are many solutions to this problem, and they all end with the same conclusion: You can't control font sizes completely on the Web, not with HTML text, because it is flexible. If you want absolute control over font sizes, your best bet is all Flash, your second best bet is all images (jpg, gif, whatever) -- and none of those is a really good solution, but: HTML text will scale. It's as simple as that.

If you accept that fact, then it's again a question of testing different solutions until you find one (or two) that works for you. I wlll typically use the "percentage on , ems on everything else" principle, while others prefer to use an all em, percentage, or pixel based solution. Most of the time it's down to what works in your target environment.

Yes, it is frustrating, especially if you come from a print design background where everything you put on a surface stays in place. But, what can you do? Learn what works, be prepared to keep learning, and accept that the web is not as fixed as print. I think, anyway.

jared351

Another CSS Issue.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 07:32:09 am »

Wow! You guys have gave me alot of info to take in and consider! It looks like for some things im gonna have to use images instead of fonts..oh well! Thanks for all the wonderful info and advice!! What an awesome Community!
Pages: 1 [2]