Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Content not found" always  (Read 3550 times)

michael320

"Content not found" always
« on: July 19, 2007, 05:13:50 pm »

Hello,

I've just installed sNews, managed to handle .htaccess, so I can login.

But, after successfull login, I get "Categories: Content not found" when I try any "Add new", "Settings", "Files",  while Home, Archive, Contact, and Site Map links work

Any suggestions?
Michael

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 05:21:25 pm »

Welcome, Michael.

Not sure if I understand your problem correctly. However, the default welcome message, before any articles have been created, is "Content not found". If you create an article, it'll end up on Home if you haven't set up any categories yet, then the "Content not found" message should disappear.

If you have created categories, but not added any articles to those categories, you will see the "Content not found" message when accessing a category page. It simply means 'There is no content yet'.

So, write articles! :)

michael320

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:51:42 pm »

Well, it is clear if it were articles, but I can not change settings as well.
Michael

michael320

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:55:59 am »

Hello bakercad!

Unfortunately, my web-sit is on the private network, no links avaliable.

I use Apache 2.2.(most recent), most recent PHP5, and all defaults that come with sNews 1.6.
I set up MySQL database as it is recommended in readme.html file.

After I've placed index.php, snews.php, and .htaccess files into DocumentRoot, I can succesfully login as administrator using default username/password (test/test) (btw, you miss one step in DB setup - create test user, and grant all privileges).

I see admin screen, but when I try do do anything (for example, change settings, or create new category) I'm redirected back, I see "Content not found" in the "Category" line, and I even have to login again.

Any ideas? Can I denug the scripts somehow to pinpoint the problem?

Regards,
 Michael.

Joost

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 04:03:30 pm »

index.php has got to start with:
No characters, spaces or new-lines are allowed before the code.
This can also be caused, when the file is save as utf-8 with BOM
Save the file as ansi or utf-8 without BOM
Or set session.auto_start to off (server config)

Finntrask

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 05:02:39 pm »

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, and I have the same problem than Michael above.

I set up sNews today (on my local machine using EasyPHP), had few issues but solved them, and now everything seems to work except... it doesn't.

What happens is, I get without problems to the start page, click login, write "test" and "test", do the sums and voila! - I'm in. On the page titled "administration" I click "add category" under sNews admin, and I get "Content not found". The same happens when I click any of the links. In addition to that, I have login again to to access the administration page.

Here http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=18702 a similar issue (with a different error message, though) is explained as follows:

Object not found! Error 404:
Your site's Home Page displays but you get this message when you click on any links from the Home Page.
Probable Cause - The RewriteEngine On line is missing or not enabled in your .htaccess file. Or, your .htaccess file is not active, present, or not working at all.
Possible Solution - Check to see that your .htaccess file is located in your sNews site's root directory or folder, and that the RewriteEngine On line is present and enabled.

I checked my .htaccess file and everything was in order.

Any ideas what to try? Help!

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:05:55 am »

I remember others having issues when using easyPHP in the past.  I'm not sure if they were solved or whether those experiencing the issues switched to Xampp.

Ok, so after a little searching on these forums, perhaps this may be the cause of the problem.
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

Finntrask

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 07:17:50 pm »

Hi again, Thanks for your reply.

So I ditched EasyPHP, and installed WAMP, which is like XAMPP (little lighter with some nice features).

There I encountered some issues with phpmyadmin which was giving unexplainable errors about missing "insert". So I ditched that, and switched to HeidiSQL which has been working well so far.

However, the problem remains: I log in to sNews using "test" X 2 etc, try to add a category and ZAP! - I'am kicked out, no data added.

I can add data in the HeidiSQL --database editor, for example a category but that doesn't reflect to sNews.

Could there be a connection problem between MySQL and sNews?

I'm using Win XP. It has that funny feature of automatically making all folders read-only. Now that shouldn't effect the files (meaning they can be read/write accessible despite the read-only FOLDER) but could it still somehow prevent MySQL from accessing the database files???

Please, any ideas???

Should I switch to Linux...

Rui Mendes

• Development,Testing, Support
  • sNews1.7
    • Comunidade Portuguesa
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 07:28:33 pm »

Hello Finntrask

I had same problem,

Try to create a new index.php (use your notepad)
- Open notepad
- Copy all text from your index.php
- Past in your new file in notepad
- Save to index.php (change to all files not txt)

Windows sometimes put some hidden chars in php.

Another think your Wamp have rewrite enable in Apache ?
Need a Job on Europe. Linkdin - Facebook / Group

Finntrask

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 11:56:51 pm »

Hi Ruimendes,

I really appreciate you getting back to me. So I did what you suggested but unfortunately the issue remains. In addition to making a new index.php file, I also tried the same procedure with remaining files in my sNews folder.

I have enabled rewrite in Apache, too.

I have done some work with CMSs before (phpnuke on Suse 9.2) but man! I didn't remember how complicated it can be.

Any other suggestions?

Any help or ideas are very welcome! Thanks to you kind souls who have contributed to solving this problem!

Rui Mendes

• Development,Testing, Support
  • sNews1.7
    • Comunidade Portuguesa
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 12:45:44 am »

Hello again Finntrask

If you trust me, send me your files (in zip) to my email, I will analyze, correct and send to you back.
If use default sNews1.6, never mind

My email:
engcivil.net @gmail. com

remove spaces to avoid spam.

Try to reinstall, or remove wamp and use xamp(maybe this solve all problems)

Hope can help you
Need a Job on Europe. Linkdin - Facebook / Group

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 03:40:14 am »

I can say without a doubt that XAMPP is a good, solid choice. As an alternative, you could also install the XAMPP Lite version... I just installed it on a new laptop running XP Pro over the weekend and it was a snap to install. You still need to go into the httpd.conf file and enable the mod-Rewrite string.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Finntrask

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 11:14:15 am »

Hi Ruimendes and Keyrocks,

@Ruimendes: Oh I trust you alright, but I'm still using (or rather trying to use) the default  sNews 1.6. I appreciate your help!

@Ruimendes&Keyrocks: So it was bye-bye for WAMP. I installed XAMPP, and... no luck. I have followed your guide, Keyrocks (at snews.ca), step by step, but ye olde "Content not found" it still is.

I have that nasty feeling that there is something funny going on with my copy of XP.

Anyway, I want to thank you guys once more, and as previously stated -- all further ideas are highly appreciated!

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 02:34:55 pm »

Quote from: Finntrask
@Ruimendes&Keyrocks: So it was bye-bye for WAMP. I installed XAMPP, and... no luck. I have followed your guide, Keyrocks (at snews.ca), step by step, but ye olde "Content not found" it still is.
I have that nasty feeling that there is something funny going on with my copy of XP.
Anyway, I want to thank you guys once more, and as previously stated -- all further ideas are highly appreciated!
"Content not found" is the first message you will always see when you first view your new installation. You probably already know this, but your first step after logging in is to create a category, then add an article to the Home and/or the new category... and those messages will go away. This message always displays where there is nothing available in a given content type. I don't think (but never know for sure) that your XP OS would be causing the problem, since the XAMPP for Windows package is designed to turn your WinXP computer into an Apache/MySQL server. Here's a rough run-through of what I do for new installs.

After getting XAMPP installed and running tickety-boo, I stop Apache and MySQL (shut it down). I then open my "good" code editor ... go into the xampp/apache/conf folder and open the httpd.conf file. I search for this line:
Code: [Select]
#LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.soand remove the #-sign (uncomment) the string) which enables the mod_rewrite module in Apache. Save and close the file.

Next, I open a couple of Windows Explorer panels on my desktop. I get my downloaded snews16 package in view in one of them and un-zip its contents (Extract here) in the same location. In the other panel, I click through to the xampp/htocs folder. The htdocs is... essentially, the root directory of the Apache Server. If this were running a server online, all the domain directories (hundreds of them) would be located in this folder.

I create my first domain directory in the htdocs folder. I can call it snews16.com... but there is no need to have a .com on the end... snews16 is enough. Then, I copy the contents of my un-zipped snews16 folder into the new folder.

Next, I re-start Apache & MySQL using the XAMPP panel, open my browser and point it to - http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ ... and create my database... snews16 in this case. I then select the database... click the SQL tab in the right-side's top menu bar. Then I copy and paste the table-generating script into the main panel there and click Go to create the tables. If it goes successfully, we're done there.

Then comes the simple configuration. Open the snews.php file in your good code editor... put the right information into your $db variable values and... if you have them right... your site WILL perform as intended. You just need to get it into your browser with  - http://localhost/snews16/

If you have done all this accordingly and still can't get it working, please compare your snews.php config settings to these... which will make it work in my example:
$db['website'] = 'http://localhost/sNews16/';
$db['dbhost'] = 'localhost'; //MySQL Host
$db['dbname'] = 'snews16'; //Database Name
$db['dbuname'] = 'root'; //Database Username
$db['dbpass'] = ''; //Database password
$db['prefix'] = ''; //Database prefix
The last 2 are empty because they aren't required for a localhost Xampp installation. The uname is always the same for all sites in your htdocs folder - root.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Finntrask

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »

Hi again,

Thanks for your ideas and tips. I found a solution to the problem - it was Zone Alarm. It kept blocking my attempts to modify the content on my sNews site. I changed ZA to Comodo firewall and everything works now.

So now I've been able to really get my hand on this great program! Simple and effective - that's the way I like my CMS!

Thanks once more for your time!
Pages: [1] 2