Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: A cupla suggestions...  (Read 5784 times)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
A cupla suggestions...
« on: November 09, 2005, 02:16:03 pm »

we don't know how many will use sNews, and where they're from. You might even have thought of this...

1. Time adjustment...possibility to adjust time if one is in nayother timezone then ours.

2. And to clearify the SPAM discussion I had before;

logg hostnames and IPs. when inserted in a list, make them not able to access your commentary function. Every IP or hostname you want to ban must stand in a new line. Enter an incomplete IP or hostname if you want to ban all users that come from a domain.

For example:

127.0.0 will ban all users with an IP from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.127
dynamic.adsl will ban all user that have a hostname like x.dynamic.adsl

3. is this possible:

Enter 0 for unlimited amount of entries into commentary function. Otherwise for every new entry that is above the maximum, the oldest entries will be deleted from the database. In order to save db space for those with limited space...

Patric.
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

bryn

• http://www.cssugly.com
A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 02:56:13 pm »

like no.1..if that could be possible..take a look at this actual forum..it must be! hehe..

not so sure of the second one though Patric..say you were away for a few days and had a busy site and got flooded, you'd possibly lose a hell of a lot of good info and links if you did that..we already have a commenting freeze function, thats kinda unfair on the genuine posters, but maybe necessary until a good solution is found.
Over 1,000 posts of joy, sNews is not only brilliant, but fun too! thanks guys :D

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:12:51 pm »

@bryn

you mean that you -"don't know about no 3" right... Otherwise I don't understand a word, hehe...

Ok, I can buy that opinion. It makes sense if you have heavy traffic on your site, you'll miss out on things if you're away or not looking at it for a while...

But you didn't comment on the actual number two ;)
Updated

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 03:22:09 pm »

Ahhh, but I didn't mean txtfile. I meant for the logging to be PHP. What I meant by typing "list" was that in the admin mode having a textbox in which I insert the ip-nr/ip-range or hostname that I don't want to allow access. Those inputs should somehow register in the db to execute the actual ban.

Do I just mumble, or do anyone understand what I mean ;)

Patric.
Updated

bryn

A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 03:26:22 pm »

@ Patric:

Sorry mate trying to do 6 things at once here [making a video for a friend's site, using my newfound flash .flv player]

yeah..1.Absolutely 2. Good idea 3. Not so sure?  :rolleyes:
Over 1,000 posts of joy, sNews is not only brilliant, but fun too! thanks guys :D

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 07:09:54 am »

@boyd So now, the only thing is...Is this something somebody else would like or just me ;)

Patric.
Updated

bryn

A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 09:12:40 am »

if the comments logged the ip address, to the database, then you could also do this via an .htaccess file, the thinking being that you have the option to ban the user from only where you have snews installed, or your whole site, if snews was not installed at the root of your site.

Apache Bannish an ip address
To deny access to an ip address and allow access to all other users, Just do as follows.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Put the following code into your .htaccess document
Code: [Select]
order allow,deny
deny from 111.11.111.11
allow from all
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 That's all, Put this document in any folder on your server.

Only the chosen ip address will be banned all other visitors, will have free access to the directory.
In this example: 111.11.111.11 will be banned.

You could also ban a complete range of ip's by shortening the above reference, but then you would have to be careful not to lose too many genuine visitors..it's your choice  :)

If you put this (.htaccess) file on your root server, This ip address will be banned in your entire website.

Another idea might be to have the option to "flag" an individual ip on comment editing when logged in, and have that displayed via an image or something next to the posters name, then you and others can see a visual representation of the type of comment that the Admin considers spam..therefore teaching your users over time what's acceptible.

You could even tag a comment with different lights, like a traffic light system, green, amber, red..and display different images accordingly? Just an idea! Like a pre-deletion warning!

Might help somebody out there?

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 09:42:46 am »

.htaccess solution seems great. Thanks for that approach.

The other stuff, "learning not to spam" sounds great aswell, but that's nothing you can do through .htaccess. That was an additional suggestion, right ?

Patric.
Updated

bryn

A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:35:03 am »

yes Patric..not something  I would expect to see added to the core anytime soon, but could be a later addition, or an addon or plugin.

I was really just flinging an idea in there, but the more I think about it the more I like it..I might even try and do this myself once the stable release id with us, and when I have time.  ;)

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 03:17:45 pm »

think I would be glad to implement that onto my own "SoleNews" site when you're done ;).

I will try out that .htaccess thingy during the weekend when the stable version has been released and
it's "playable"...Perhaps someone here could act as testperson...I could "ban" your IP, and you could try and post
on my site...

I'll post here when this is going down - Patric.
Updated

bryn

A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 06:07:38 pm »

well mine changes every time I boot..but if you need a guinea pig I'd be glad to help you test that at a pre-set time..when we're both online maybe..

I can tell you this works for me on another site, and I don't see why it wouldn't work with sNews? unless anyone else can foresee complications?

I'll have to wait to have a play with the "commenting traffic light" thingy, first I need to grab the new release and see whats been changed, then play with the css maybe, then go live on a server, then then then.. ;) and I don't pretend to be a genius or anything close with php, more like an "eventually I will get there..probably with help" type.

It could be interesting though as a test..I don't recall actually seeing it anywhere else as yet? anybody seen anything similar? some way of "tagging" comments as unacceptable?

bryn

A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 06:15:54 pm »

btw..

I see the "commenting traffic light system" as working something like this

GREEN: Your commenting conduct has been brought to the attention of the Admin..be careful ok!

AMBER: You have been previously warned about your conduct, and continue to comment innapropriately.

RED: You have had 2 previous warnings, this is your last chance before being banned from commenting.

etc etc..or have also the option to go straight to any colour immediately, or ban straight away?

new or different ideas welcome  :)

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
A cupla suggestions...
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 07:10:37 am »

or the more "come to mind" traffic light scenario:

green: you're a'ok !
Amber: You have got a warning/or any predecided number
Red: You're banned ! Either for good or for a predefined time.

My dos centimos.
Updated