Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [MOD] - COMPLETED - Enhanced Administration System  (Read 6602 times)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
[MOD] - COMPLETED - Enhanced Administration System
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:15:15 am »

Going back to sNews 1.4, I was never quite satisfied with the way the default package displayed the Administration Panels... so I created a modded version with enhanced administration panels and used them through all versions of 1.5. I've used them on several sites for my clients that use the sNews CMS and they have found the extra admin usage notes make it easier for them to understand. So I decided to create the Enhanced Administration Mod package for sNews 1.6.

This package also contains a few other useful mods as well:
- Expandable Comments Panel (by bakercad)
- Clickable Article titles in home or within a category (by bakercad)
- Articles grouped by categories in Admin Panels (by philmoz)

This mod comes as a ready-to-install package with replacement style.css and snews.php files... and a "Readme.txt" file that explains the few simple steps for installation.

Enjoy. :)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:45:17 am »

Keys, just a thought, but maybe some screenshots would be useful or the like to illustrate some of the changes you have made?
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

takil84

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 09:09:36 am »

keyrocks thank you for this mod.
But I have a problem using this mod.
I have installed it to my local server but "Write a comment" part is not working.
Although I tried it with Firefox and Ie browser , I couldnt write a comment due to javascript is not working.
Am I doing smtgn wrong ?

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 02:44:18 pm »

Quote from: takil84
keyrocks thank you for this mod.
But I have a problem using this mod.
I have installed it to my local server but "Write a comment" part is not working.
Although I tried it with Firefox and Ie browser , I couldnt write a comment due to javascript is not working.
Am I doing smtgn wrong ?
I just checked this mod and it works fine for me on my XAMPP (localhost) machine. If you swap the style.css file and the snews.php file, and add your database settings to the new one... and you DON'T have Jscript blocked... it should be working.
Quote from: piXelatedEmpire
Keys, just a thought, but maybe some screenshots would be useful or the like to illustrate some of the changes you have made?
It would be quicker for you (less than 5 minutes) to swap the files and test run it than for me to do screenshot images. Generally speaking... the fieldset borders with the background color sticking out above the borders, have been replaced with a default light greay background with an accent border... all box expanding text links are replaced with new titles and buttons... and short descriptive texts explain what each expandable box is about.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 01:47:37 pm »

Some warnings about input not being empty or not closed... They are not closed, if you want to update your download zip, Doug...

And a Q, mate... I have this installed now, and if logged in the comment hide/view works, but when logged out it fails to open on account of javascript  errors. I get things like:

Error: not well-formed
Source File: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Patrik/Application%20Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/1mewt9ss.default/localstore.rdf
Line: 1, Column: 1
Source Code:

This on an online copy, and more errors:
Error: toggle is not defined
Source File: http://p-ahlqvist.com/rbk96/home/gaestbok/
Line: 1

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIRDFService.GetDataSource]"  nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/search.xml :: initialize :: line 94"  data: no]

Do you have any idea's of what might be causing this ? This is the same if I go with your default copy...
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 08:01:16 pm »

@ Patric:
I guess you replaced an earlier post with the one above this morning... I updated the upload (in my first post) with the BR changes you noted earlier.  I am much like you with this PHP stuff... not knowing a heck of lot but learning as I go.... so any errors you manage to solve... keep posting them here.

I don't quite understand what you mean by... "some warnings about input not being empty or closed... they are not closed".

The expandable comment form link is throwing me an error when logged out too... I hadn't tested in when logged out. Will have to figure this one out following baker-bob's original mod. The job is never done eh? :)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 12:26:42 am »

@ Patric - and anyone else running this mod-pack...
I found the solution to the expandable comments panel not opening when not logged in. It was a very simple solution tho it took me a while to think of it. It was simply a matter of moving the toggle_div() function statement from under (the red one) the logged_in session check string to above it (the blue one) near the end of function title() . The red one... below the session string... works OK whether logged in or not in 1.5 versions, but it needs to be above the session string to work in both cases in 1.6.
toggle_div();   // displays expandable comment form. (bakercad)
if ($_SESSION[db('website').'Logged_In'] == token()) {js();
         //   toggle_div();
   }
}
I've updated the download with the fix. :)

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:27:40 am »

Goodie, great, wonderful... Thanks a lot, Dougie, this made my brains rot a bit ;)

guess you replaced an earlier post with the one above this morning... I updated the upload (in my first post) with the BR changes you noted earlier.  I am much like you with this PHP stuff... not knowing a heck of lot but learning as I go.... so any errors you manage to solve... keep posting them here.
Sure did, sir... And I will. There are some more validation warnings, but I don't seem to be able to sort them out. So I'll just post them here and we'll solve them by possible "togetherness" as I do want that green "tidy" arrow in my right hand browser corner (as in no errors and no warnings)

some warnings about input not being empty or closed... they are not closed
Well, this is one of those warnings, in the settingsform I think it was you have added some buttons, and them input tags aren't closed... wait a minute... (three minutes later), ok this one eg:

>
Needs to spell:
/>
That is with an closing slash at the end...

The other things, I'll have to be back on, as I'm at work now and don't have possibility to look through the files and post... Will bring ya upto date, mate (oh, some poetry there...)
Updated

mfaraklit

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 09:19:16 am »

i want to use Wyzz Text Editor in snews1.6. But there is not in snews1.6. When this integration come?
and Could it possible to simple content rotator for articles in homepage. I dont want to list in home page by order. want to rotate simply. How it is easly?
Thanks

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 01:13:05 pm »

Deleted old content

Now I'm on a roll... Thanks, Dougie.
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 02:29:57 pm »

Quote from: Patric
Well, this is one of those warnings, in the settingsform I think it was you have added some buttons, and them input tags aren't closed... wait a minute... (three minutes later), ok this one eg:

>
Needs to spell:
/>
That is... with a closing slash at the end...
OK - that was easy... fixed all 9 of those and updated the download (above. :)

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 02:51:33 pm »

Grrrrrreat, Dougie... yup that was simple, hehe... theres more as I've indicated...

Clicking view categories there is div that is messing about...
from line 1544 - 1574 there is a buggeroo I can't find.

In output line 177 col 143 missing

in output line 177 col 1084 missing

In outout line177 col 1853 discarding unexpected

In outout line 211col 2 discarding unexpected

Settings form:
In output line 177 col 90 missing
In output line 177 col 4961 discarding unexpected
In output line 211 col 2 discarding unexpected

Article list
is not ok... the "0" don't validate, is it possible to change that to a "none" or something ??

God I'm rambeling here... well, these things is what I find to be the warnings still left in this buggaroo, when fixed it totally validates with no errors and NO warnings... It might be just me, hehe... but I don't like them warnings either...
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 03:04:45 pm »

@ Patric - I'm going to mobe this MOD over to Programming since we're still going through some fine-tuning. I am also working on my old 1.5 version... trying to replace the Editor buttons with nice little ICON link-buttons... and if Mika's little "fix" works... I want to update this 1.6 version with them as well. :)

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 03:35:57 pm »

Aha... a new update is coming from Phil-man soon, regarding the "article list" warning flaw... One down two to go :lol:
Updated

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 03:41:41 pm »

Quote from: keyrocks
- Articles grouped by categories in Admin Panels (by philmoz)
this mod has had a validation update that you might like to roll in....
http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=31729#p31729

add the line marked /*validation fix*/
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.
Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »