Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: .html extension instreas of /  (Read 6155 times)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: .html extension instread of /
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 04:06:32 pm »

Well... I am not an "expert" per se... I can only base my comments on my experience as an sNews user and I haven't experienced everything there is to learn about sNews by any means... the learning never stops. And... not being the author of sNews, I do not know what concepts or objectives were used in the development of sNews code as it was being written.  :)

We don't suggest or recommend trying to add file extensions to the end of sNews-generated URLs because that defeats the intended design of sNews. It requires changes that weren't meant to be in sNews to begin with... and the serve no practical purpose.

I believe the author(s) intended to do away with the need to have file extensions visible in all URLs generated by the sNews engine functions... and I believe they did this because file extensions are really redundant (they have no purpose) when it comes to being Search Engine Friendly. When you use the sNews engine for a new website... you create your content (categories, extras, articles, pages, comments)... and the sNews engine functions are designed to create what we refer to as SEF (search engine friendly) links to all these forms of content. These links are stored in the database tables (articles, categories, comments) and the functions generate the links we use to navigate throughout the sNews website. There is no need to have file extensions in these links because search engines don't need them to index the content in an snews site.

Sorry to say this... but you will have a fairly trouble-free experience with sNews as long as you stay away from trying to force the sNews engine from doing things it was not designed to do.  ;)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

ajayvibha

• http://www.obiztek.com
Re: .html extension instreas of /
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 06:13:40 pm »

Being an SEO professional I do agree that file extensions are really redundant and existing system of SNews is very well Search Engine Friendly.For any new site website and new pages development it is perfectly ok

But as indicated earlier also please not that for existing website structure can not be ignored and there are many many website which will adapt SNews to use its obvious simplicity & Power.Please note that every client / website owner can not be a technical guy and may not be knowing the indept knowledge of web development and can not be convinced so easily for something new which looks different than their working existing website.Hope that you can see the "management aspect" also behind this issue.

If there are any paid mods available than I may be interested to explore it.What I need is two basic things :-

1) to have .html file extension everywhere (category , pages, articles )
2) flexibility to put the articles & pages under root folder also.
Regards,
AjayVibha
Online Business Technologies (OBizTek)
SEO | Hosting | Design

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 01:04:36 am »

Your points are well taken Ajay. We do understand that some of the people who come across sNews and want to try it out are not code developers... and those people will have difficulty with it. We also understand that some people want to integrate sNews within an existing site with many static page files.

However, sNews is a developer's tool, it is not meant to be an end-user product. It is not designed to be integrated within an existing site with many static page files. it is meant to be used as an engine to manage all of a website's content, and its index.php is meant to be the site's one and only template file. If used as intended, sNews will do its job well.  ;)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 06:30:24 am »

Ajay, please stop cross posting the same issues is different threads.  It wont assist you in receiving assistance any quicker.
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

ajayvibha

• http://www.obiztek.com
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 07:17:37 am »

Different posting was done as there were different topics for better clarity & focus .Clubing everything in one would have been not fair.

Keyrocks - thanks for the comments.Anyway there is no going back as by now I am a fan of SNews and I will try to make the necessary change some day for having  "html extensions everywhere" ( whenever I get some spare time form the client work) .  Is it possible to get some paid help in the "Request- I will Pay" forum or else where ?

( In the mean time I could manage "html extensions everywhere"  for another script please check out the testing at www.hostingcarecenter.com/Hosting/PHP-Hosting/MySQL-Hosting.html .Try to see the breadcrumb than you will observer that )

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:33:28 pm by ajayvibha »
Regards,
AjayVibha
Online Business Technologies (OBizTek)
SEO | Hosting | Design
Pages: 1 [2]