Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding terminal when installing XAMPP  (Read 2428 times)

sevenupcan

Understanding terminal when installing XAMPP
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:09:30 pm »

Hey guys, when it comes to using the Terminal I get a little skitish as I don't know much about line commands or programming. I'm trying to install XAMPP for Mac OS X, but I can't even get past the first 2nd step (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html#849) of installing it.

Basically it asks me to enter the following in Terminal:

# sudo su
# tar xfvz xampp-macosx-0.6.1.tar.gz -C /

I manage to use the sudo command alright but when I enter in the second command it says "Cannot open: No such file or directory"

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong? Where does the file I have downloaded need to be? Does it matter that the file is named xfvz xampp-macosx-0.6.1.tar and not xfvz xampp-macosx-0.6.1.tar.gz?

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:54:44 pm »

7up -- do yourself a favour and ignore XAMMP for Mac. It's obviously a good product for Windows, but it's not written for the Mac, only ported, so it won't be as good as a native package. There are a few out there. I use MAMP and I have had no problems at all. MAMP is available as a PPC only, an Intel only, or a Universal binary. So you have multiple choices. ;D

If you run your own server then MAMP Pro could be an even better answer, but for simple local development the original MAMP does just fine.

Get MAMPed here
(no, I don't get commission ... hmm, maybe I should! :D)

sevenupcan

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:09:07 am »

Hey agentsmith, thanks for the suggestion. Just tested MAMP out and it's awesome, very easy to understand. Thanks :)