Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Online Store help  (Read 3068 times)

blzalewski

Online Store help
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:57:47 am »

hi, im currently brainstorming the layout of a store meant to sell about 1000 different types of sofas. i've built a few websites before but nothing using heavy encryption or shopping carts.

what's the best way to go about getting heavy encryption and shopping carts?

I found litecommerce.com and it seems to be a relatively cheap way to handle it. (about a $150 one time cost)

are there any better methods?

any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

piXelatedEmpire

• MIA
  • ULTIMATE member
  • currently MIA
Online Store help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:05:17 am »

This isn't really sNews related.
My suggestion is to check out something like Hotscripts if you're looking for an opensource alternative.
my apologies to the sNews crew, but I will be MIA for the forseeable future

mike1

Online Store help
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 03:25:10 pm »

ive had both good and bad experiences with Zencart.

Ive also had good and bad experiences with digistore, which is an absolute PAIN (and i mean PAIN to the 1000th power) to install, but I prefer this one over Zencart once installed (it is a stripped down version of OSCommerce, which you should read as lighter and faster).

If you happen to get a good experience with either, they're not bad.  If you get the bad experience, ummmm, just go cry in the corner.

On the other hand, theyre free, but I havent experimented with 1000+ products with either.

phpfunk

• http://phpfunk.com
Online Store help
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 08:15:13 am »

If you found one you like, go for it.  I write my own (actually, I write them for clients).

I'm not sure what you'll be encrypting.  Having the checkout over https should handle that (provided the domain has  a quality SSL certificate installed).  I have encrypted credit card numbers with php, but most sites integrate with a payment processor (verisign, paypal, etc) and you don't ever have to worry about storing the card info.

As far as 1000 products, that's not a big deal.  What is a big deal is if they have different selectable options (like color, etc).  Its far better, programming wise, to sell a widget that comes with no options.  

Another thing to consider is inventory control.  There are some issues w/ mysql before version 5 that make that difficult.  I think version 5 can be tweaked to actually work like a real database ;) (like postgresql).

Good luck.