Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: uploading to server  (Read 2715 times)

hyele

uploading to server
« on: February 15, 2007, 12:50:12 am »

I would have a suggestion about this:

Snews has ever worked fine on my testing server (my localhost)
Uploading it to my domain (as you can see there: http://www.domenicocammarano.it)
i'm be able to view only home page.

I've tried also to change manually the URL from
http://www.domenicocammarano.it/contact/
to:
http://www.domenicocammarano.it/home/contact/
but nothing happens

Someone could help me

Thanks,
Domenico

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
uploading to server
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:15:04 am »

It seems to me that perhaps your .htaccess file is not functioning as it should be able to.

1. Did you make sure you uploaded the .htaccess file along with the other site files?
2. Do you know for sure that the mod_rewrite module is enabled in Apache on your host server?
3. Have you checked the Error messages  link in the Notice box above the forums?
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

hyele

uploading to server
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 09:45:03 am »

merc...

i think directive Rewritebase is commented in my .htacces file...
4 eyes are often better then 2...

RewriteEngine On
#RewriteBase /sNews15

i think is better this:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase

my .htaccess is in root...

i'll try in the afternoon
thanks!!!!

Domenico

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
uploading to server
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:41:46 pm »

Yes - many of us forget to use that when we first start using sNews. It isn't necessary to un-comment it if your site's files and folders are all located in the domain root directory... such as "public_html" (or whatever). If you create a folder in that root... say snews15... and put the site's files and folders in that... this will allow you to put several separate installations in separate folders like that. When we do that... that's when we need to enable that string - RewriteBase /snews15... and for each new installation folder name... this line in each .htaccess file changes to the name of that folder. So... if the folder name was "greenie"... this string would read... RewriteBase /greenie and so on.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

tarmithius13

uploading to server
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 02:57:25 pm »

Quote from: keyrocks
Yes - many of us forget to use that when we first start using sNews. It isn't necessary to un-comment it if your site's files and folders are all located in the domain root directory... such as "public_html" (or whatever). If you create a folder in that root... say snews15... and put the site's files and folders in that... this will allow you to put several separate installations in separate folders like that. When we do that... that's when we need to enable that string - RewriteBase /snews15... and for each new installation folder name... this line in each .htaccess file changes to the name of that folder. So... if the folder name was "greenie"... this string would read... RewriteBase /greenie and so on.
That is exactly how I am doing the demos for the templates I converted. Each one has its own set of files (a complete install) but uses the same database as the root install.  I just change the RewriteBase and voila it works perfectly.
The trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Free sNews templates HERE

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
uploading to server
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 08:28:46 pm »

Quote from: hyele
my .htaccess is in root...

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

note the slash for root install
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.