Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downgrade from 1.3 to 1.5 - Missing Features?  (Read 1047 times)

right hosting

Downgrade from 1.3 to 1.5 - Missing Features?
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:24:38 am »

I had a few sites made with 1.3 and just came back to see what the latest verson is. I had to stop as my new host would not allow apostrphes in the articles. I now see this issue is fixed in 1.5 and I want to build a site and upgrade my old ones.

My questions are:

1. How Can I updrade 1.3 to 1.5?

2. What happened to all the features in 1.3 like when I added an article I had options of inserting only a certain number of characters for the front page of my site. I had an option to include an image, I had an option to allow peope to post comments and much much more.. none of these features are available anymore?

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 10:19:57 am »

1. The easiest way is, actually, to rebuild it. Both the default snews.php and index.php have changed a lot between the two versions.

2. "Some things never change." "But some things do?" "Luckily, some things do."
Meaning that while you can't set a specific number of characters for the front page of your site, you have the freedom of inputting one [break] signal at any point in your article. That constitutes the same thing as character limit ( breaking tha article in two chunks).
There is still the option of including an image (of course!!), you just do it differently. Press the img button, specify the image path and alt text, et voilá!, you're done.
Em, why would the comment option be removed? (It hasn't, it's just been moved to "Settings").
About "much much more" -- 1.5 should be considered a 'major' type step up from 1.3 in terms of features, so if sNews was a shrink-wrapped commercial app I'd suggest that you RTFM. Since it isn't I'll just suggest that you get the latest version, install it locally with your favourite localhost application package (MAMP, LAMP, XAMPP or whatever fits your OS) and, em, try things out. Because, well, some things do change.

right hosting

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 07:35:20 am »

ok thanks for explaining how to find all those features, it's now sorted out!  ;)