Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: help with geting sNews functioning without .htaccess  (Read 2344 times)

michael kennedy

• SpektreDesign
help with geting sNews functioning without .htaccess
« on: December 12, 2006, 11:29:10 pm »

Hi all, I need a little bit of help in getting my sNews script to fully work the way it should, without .htaccess.

I know you will all say that it works better if it is installed the way it was intended, but I don't have a choice in this case. The client chose geocities as their host of choice, which doesn't allow .htaccess. So I installed the modded version that albert recommended in this thread:

http://www.solucija.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=18138#p18138

But unfortunately, it looks like he didnt quite finish his version. Some of the links weren't complete, and I've spent a lot of time sifting through its code trying to fix all of the broken links, which were originally redirected through .htaccess.

Here's my test page:

http://www.birdswitharms.com/snews/

Now - when you click on "Security (2)" on the right, should that not display a (bulleted?) listing of the two existing articles related to security? It displays the last article I posted, but this doesn't seem right. (originally it displayed 2 full articles, but I set it to display one article per page in the admin area)

Also - the links under New Articles don't work at all. My guess is that I need to still fix those URL's in the PHP.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 11:45:15 pm »

I had experimented with the 1.4 flat-file version but not long enough to make it completely bug-free, and I've chosen to leave it behind. As far as 1.5 is concerned... as Mika has noted... "Problems with htaccess? Sorry, but recoding 15 to avoid mod_rewrite would take a lot of time ". So it converting 1.5 to flat-file operation will not likely be happening soon unless Albert goes further with it.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

michael kennedy

• SpektreDesign
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 11:48:38 pm »

Well, regardless if Albert goes forward with it or not, I don't have much of a choice. If he doesn't do it, I will. I may not be as experienced with PHP as he is, but I do plan on getting this finished. Surely SOMEONE out there will appreciate the effort.

I'm just going to take one section of the code at a time, until its bug-free. So you refuse to help at all?

From what I can tell its nearly done, there are only a few small areas which are quirky.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 02:30:39 pm »

Mike - I am not "refusing" to work on it... I just don't have the time to do it in the very near future... I have lots of higher priorities at present. But... by all means... go ahead and work on it. Any advancement on this would be good, and I am sure there will be others who will appreciate having it in cases where they do not have mysql support.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU