Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [HELP] Multiple htaccess info or files -- possible?  (Read 2852 times)

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
[HELP] Multiple htaccess info or files -- possible?
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:45:26 am »

I need some advice. I'm rebuilding my personal site to be sNews powered, and it will be using one db with multiple installs of sNews. My problem is that there already is a .htaccess file at the domain root which contains some 403 info and a banned ip address, I don't want to remove that. So, can I place that info inside the .htaccess file with sNews directives or do I need to use multiple .htaccess files, and if so -- how?

I could naturally put the main sNews installation in a subfolder, but that would mean (I assume?) having a permanent redirect from the root and I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Simple question, huh? Any advice will be considered. Thanks.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:34:22 am »

From my experience, you cannot have two .htaccess files in the same directory or folder. The same thing occurs when we try saving a file with the exact same name to a folder - you get a message saying "a file with this name already exists... do you want to over-write it?" or - the file just gets over-written with the one you try putting into the folder.

Your option would be to put the content of the existing .htaccess file (the 403 info and banned IP address) into the bottom of the sNews .htacess file (under all the sNews strings) and upload your complete sNews package to the root directory... and give it a try & test to see if all directives still function. It will either work... or not.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:37:40 am »

ok, thanks Key. I'll give it a spin and see where I end up. :D

bramsyuur

• http://snews.vietbee.net
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 05:48:18 am »

Yes, is not possible to have more than one .htaccess file in the same folder.
And, as a Keyrocks say, the correct way to put more .htaccess directives or options is adding your needed
stuff into the current sNews .htaccess file, don't worry about the position (up or down).
La comunidad sNews en tu idioma!
Comunidad sNews en Espaņol

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 05:54:38 am »

Domo Arigato, bram-san! :D