Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problem after login ...could it be CHMOD?  (Read 2901 times)

milo

problem after login ...could it be CHMOD?
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:54:14 pm »

Hi all,

My problem is following; sNews 1.5 installed on local machine with XAMPP running... using FILEZILLA for ftp.
When i come to the main sNews page, which is in my case 127.0.0.1/snews everything looks fine... after login i can see the administration area with links for adding contetnt but after clicking on any of them nothing happens... i don't see any thing except the basic navigation, the same after clicking on "settings"...

My question is: could it be caused by the fact that none of the files is CHMOD-ed? In Apache httpd.conf file , the mode_rewrite is active now but i am still unable to set 777 for the snews files via Filezilla...

I'am really an PHP analpabet, working on design+css+xhtml and will be therefore very happy with any kind of answer...

Thanks

Luka

• Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • http://www.snewscms.com
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 02:11:12 pm »

You said here that you uploaded files to 127.0.0.1/snews with Filezilla. Are you testing locally or online? If you're testing online, a link would be helpful.

milo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 02:20:34 pm »

Yes I am testing on my local PC using XAMPP+FILEZILLA FTP SERVER ...all i did is I installed the sNews CMS via Filezilla ftp on my local PC into localhost/snews folder. After I was trying to CHMOD all the files but it is impossible via FILEZILLA FTP... thats imho a possible cause of my probs... But maybe I am wrong.. as i said im  absolutely PHP-illiterated... :(

Status

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:37:53 pm »

I'll Leave this to someone who knows better, But I don't think you need to Upload files to a local PC.

Since the files are already on your "Server" you don't need to upload anything.

Anyway,
There are only two files/folders that I can think of that NEEDS to be CHMOD, thats the RSS file and the place where you want to put your images (IE Img folder).

So it can't be a CHMOD Issue (Please Correct Me Admins/People who know better then me)

To Help with your Problem you might want to Post a Screen shot or two, as with out seeing whats going on, it's hard for people to help you...people who are not me ^_^

milo

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:21:27 pm »

Thanks a lot for answering , lets take a look on the examples, the first one is the basic admin_area, everything looks fine;
after klicking on any "add_link" or "settings" , the admin area will disappear or at least the admin's module is invisible - the second image...

...the same with FF, IE and Opera on local PC

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 04:48:49 pm »

Hmmm... First... as Status notes... you don't use Filezilla to FTP anything and you don't need to chmod anything when you are running XAMPP on your local machine - you only use Filzilla to upload to a host server and you chmod files and folders on the host server only. Assuming you computer is a WinXP machine, you simply open a couple of Windows Explorer panels, make a directory for your sNews installation in the htdocs folder (such as htdocs/snews15) then copy the contents of the .zip into the new directory. Then you create your database using phpMyAdmin, populate it with tables, do the configuration settings in snews.php (according to the readme instructions) and "Bob's your Uncle". Sorry I can't help you more but I have never encountered your problem before.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU