Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: Migrating to microsoft sql server  (Read 2728 times)

heathrowintl

Migrating to microsoft sql server
« on: October 24, 2006, 06:35:17 am »

hi. i am the web administrator for a small organisation. their hosting provider (and isp) only support asp (still in the dark ages), and they have just upgraded and now have asp.net 2, and also have PHP support. BUT i can only create Microsoft SQL server databases.

i feel this is stupid, as mysql is free etc etc and easy to implment. but none the less,

mika, patric (or anyone), could converting snews to work with Microsoft SQL Server be possible? or am i more likely to have success converting to read and write text files? Or (gasp) give up snews at this stage. but i can't bare to work with anything else!

Mika

• http://www.ni5ni6.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:45:16 am »

It's possible to adapt sNews for different db servers (I've had MSSQL 2005 express edition ... before that unfortunate event...*sigh*), such as that or Oracle XE or PostgreSQL, as long as platform is PHP 4.x or higher. But that is a custom work and you're looking to a lot of testing and tweaking. At this moment, just a few users might need that version. Have you considered using sNews txt-db version?
http://www.ni5ni6.com/ - Tutorials, Mods and How-To's about sNews CMS
sNews 1.6 Developers Edition - commented sNews 1.6 version

heathrowintl

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:00:14 am »

honestly, had forgotten about it but i think its the way to go...is 1.5 coming to txtdb?

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 07:18:44 am »

Well, hehe... Dobey's the one that did the 1.4 txtdb, he's not been online here since... I don't know when, I don't know if he fixed whatever bugs in that version, let alone starting the work on on 1.5 version of the script... So... It's really up to anyone to answer this, as I reacon it's up to anyone to do the txtdb version... I honestly don't think the snews coders will do that... But they still have the ability to amaze ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated