Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you link Category option to Home page  (Read 537 times)

Blocc Prince

How do you link Category option to Home page
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »

Hi

I've just downloaded sNews 1.7, i'm trying to create a news site. I would like to find out how to link a category to a page if that makes sense.

I have designed a menu that makes use of the category list as the navigation menu, the first option is "Live News" which I would like to retrieve the latest posts like what happens when you select "Home" from pages.

Thanks

Adrian

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: How do you link Category option to Home page
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:18:31 pm »

Welcome Adrian:
I am not sure what you mean. Let's see if I undersand it:
1) You have a navigation menu that lists the categories, and one of them is "Live News".
2) You'd like to see the latest posts for the "Live News" category on a page, as you would with latest posts on Home.

By default, articles listed on any category page (including Home) are listed in order of newest (at at the top) to oldest (at the bottom). By default, only 3 articles show and if there are more than three for the category, pagination kicks into action and the rest are paginated on more pages... with links to them at the bottom of the 3rd article on a category page.

So, in effect, you will have the latest articles on the categories pages and is the case on Home, provided you have assigned articles to other categories besides home.

You can change the "Articles per page" limit in the Admin => Settings => Contents panel from 3 to a higher number to get more articles showing on each category page.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:20:29 pm by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Blocc Prince

Re: How do you link Category option to Home page
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:58:36 am »

I eventually added a link in the index file

<a href="#">LIVE NEWS</a>

This makes sure the when "LIVE NEWS" is pressed it sends the user back to the "Home" page.

Thanks for the advice on changing articles per page