Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving to new server  (Read 984 times)

jmonroe

Moving to new server
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:05:59 pm »

I am relocating my site  to a new server. I have copied all the files over...imported the sql...and changed my db name, pass and server info in the snews17mu.php file. The site is completely blank.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: Moving to new server
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:36 pm »

Hard to say without more detail. Does the new host environment meet the sNews requirements (LAMP), for one thing? Does your host require you set a user prefix on db name and db user and, if yes, did you put that user-prefix in the db info? If none of those are a problem then check if some character, comma or semi-colon got lost in the translation (a completely blank page usually indicates a missing or excessive "system" character somewhere).

One thing to do (if you haven't already done it) is to set error reporting to report all (at the top your snews.php file), to see what errors might be happening - if any.

More detail - more ideas (hopefully).

jmonroe

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:11:48 pm »

I used to have it on Godaddy...then I copied it and set it up on my webservers I have running at my office. Since its small I just ran it locally here. All the files are the same. I even kept the db names and user names and passwords the same. Exported the sql and reimported into db with the same name. Everything is exact duplicates. Both servers had it on there at the time. The only thing different is I had to update the dns entry for the domain name back to Godaddy hosting servers since I am back to running it on their server.

Strange.

Charles

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:53:33 am »

I've been working with sNews v1.7 RC2 and have made a bunch of changes to the core code.

One of the things I came across was:

// v1.7.41: 2012-08-07: by CCS: While testing all my changes on a fresh install to
//          a new domain, I discovered that a failure to connect to the database
//          resulted in a blank screen (i.e., NO ERROR MESSAGE!!!).
//
//          After a little work, I realized that the call to "connect_to_db()" came
//          BEFORE the statement that INCLUDED the language file
//
//             s('language') != 'EN'...
//
//          so the:
//
//             l('dberror')
//             l('db_tables_error')
//
//          variables had no value and the DIE statement produced no seeable error
//          message. Relocated the "connect_to_db()" statement below all of the "l"
//          definitions.

HTH

nukpana

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:07:26 pm »

@charles, what does this have to do with the thread and why are you working on an outdated file (by 4 YEARS!)?????

Charles

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:35:53 pm »

@charles, what does this have to do with the thread and why are you working on an outdated file (by 4 YEARS!)?????

Comments like this to someone who is trying to offer assistance are inane and childish. Why don't you try helping instead of busting on me?

However, in an attempt to answer... please RE-READ the original post. jmonroe stated "The site is completely blank." If you also RE-READ my reply, you will see that, I too got a "blank site" while testing a new sNews installation. The blank site was due to a bug in the software.

As for working with outdated software -- it's not outdated!!!! I made additional changes just this morning so it is less than 1 day old (not 4 years).

Among the various bugs that I found and fixed, I have also:

1) Implemented ratings in the core code and added new settings in the admin panel so that ratings can be enabled/disabled, frozen, and require registration. I also added the ability to enable/disable ratings for a specific article.
2) Implemented a shopping cart.
3) Implemented the ability to use Google's smtp server to send email instead of the standard PHP mail command along with the ability to easily enable/disable this feature in the core code.
4) Added "size=nn" parameters to some of the calls to "function html_input()" so that various TEXT fields on the SETTINGS form would be wider and allow the user to see more of the data in the field.
5) Added some javascript code to set focus to the first field in the login form (and others) so the user can start typing right away and then tab to the next field.
6) et.al.

In any event, my apologies for trying to offer assistance. Apparently you would rather bust on me than help.

I won't bother you with my help and "old" software any more.

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:48 pm »

Charles - the point is that errors or problems occurring in 1.7 RC 2 have no (or very very little) bearing on a problem in the stable version of sNews. In other words, any fix based on RC2 code might very well do absolutely nothing for the stable version.

There is a reason why the 1.7 release candidates have their own (old) area in the forum, so as not to mix up with other versions. And, yes, 1.7 RCs are "outdated". The stable version is currently 1.7.1.

You are also noting a number of fixes and additions to RC2 but RC2 isobsolete. You should use the stable version (1.7.1) instead. Seriously.

Fixes, additions and improvement suggestions are always welcome, just try not to mix versions - especially when you're using an old, unsupported and deprecated version that has been replaced with a stable version.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:32:21 pm by Fred K »

Fred K

• ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:38:33 pm »

I used to have it on Godaddy...then I copied it and set it up on my webservers I have running at my office. Since its small I just ran it locally here. All the files are the same. I even kept the db names and user names and passwords the same. Exported the sql and reimported into db with the same name. Everything is exact duplicates. Both servers had it on there at the time. The only thing different is I had to update the dns entry for the domain name back to Godaddy hosting servers since I am back to running it on their server.

Strange.

I'm not sure, because I've never used GoDaddy to host any site, but I *think* that in order for sNews to work on GoDaddy servers there's some special trick that needs doing (there should be info available about this on the forum). However, if you've had it running before on GD servers without problems I'm a little stumped. Strictly speaking, if the server meets the requirements as noted in the readme.html file and if the host allows use of your own .htaccess file (not all do, especially for shared servers), then sNews should run just fine. So without knowing more about your specific situation it's hard to say what could be happening. My bet would be that it's some issue with the .htaccess file, but that is *pure speculation* (e.g don't bet the farm on it being right).

nukpana

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:52:36 pm »

@charles - I am not "busting" on you at all. The point, as noted by Fred, is that you are referencing an older version of the system with fixes that have probably been fixed in the stable version. RC is for Release Candidate, so it still wasn't stable at the time of final release.

As for working with outdated software -- it's not outdated!!!! I made additional changes just this morning so it is less than 1 day old (not 4 years).
sNews 1.7 Stable was released on October 31, 2008, meaning the RC came before it.  Tomorrow is September, 2012 - 4 years later....  And since you didn't publish any of your fixes to bugs, nothing would have been push back to the core system - which has remained at version 1.7.1 since February 16, 2011, a year and a half ago.

@jmonroe, did you try to turn on error reporting?  Did you check permissions to see if they were ok?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 10:02:30 pm by nukpana »

Brian

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:38:54 am »

I have ran in to the blank page issue a number of times and the main problem i found that causes this is your database connection info. IF anything is wrong with it sNews will not parse out an error all it will do is display a blank white page. One server I used I had to recheck the mysql host and the formatting of the username almost 5 or 6 times to make sure I was pulling it over correctly. Once fixed the site loaded perfect.

nukpana

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:29:30 am »

If anything is wrong with it sNews will not parse out an error all it will do is display a blank white page.
Turn on error_reporting when you develop so you don't run into issues.