Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few dynamics questions  (Read 998 times)

Brian

A few dynamics questions
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:32:31 am »

I was considering experimenting a bit with snews as I have just officially demo'd every available CMS that is free/open source and can say without doubt that Snews is the easiest cms a straight web designer could ever possibly use. No working around a bunch of random php code to generate a simple template etc. What takes 8 hours to accomplish in wordpress merging code. I did in 30 minutes in snews and therefore this thing is my companies official CMS and the only one we will even attempt to mess with. If I could force wordpress to handle layout as straightforward as snews id use it just for the admin. But anyhow...

What I am wondering is, and I will do my own experimenting. Can everything be made editable through Snews such as storing all the CSS in an extra block and calling it in the head to allow for per page CSS styling? Or would there be a recommended way of doing this style of task? I have multiple similar questions but this one umbrellas the answer to my others. In my experiment I am going to try and clone a wordpress template making use of those extra blocks and see how exact I can get with it.

Also as far as SEO goes, are there any tested methods of improving the whole SEO thing such as even going as far as storing the meta data in an Extra block? I did notice wordpress sites seem to pull down a much better Google ranking and was trying to research some of the cause and effects of that whole niche.

As far as the What you see is what you get addons for snews go. I was wondering if any further advances have been made since 2007 or if any of you use any particular method to get that style of editor i to the admin.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: A few dynamics questions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:55:51 am »

Can everything be made editable through Snews such as storing all the CSS in an extra block and calling it in the head to allow for per page CSS styling? Or would there be a recommended way of doing this style of task?

First of all Brian, I think you'll get better answers if you try to be more specific about what you're trying to achieve because most of the time there's not a catch-all answer to this type of questions but rather a combination of answers (or, sometimes, something we haven't tried before). That said, regarding the part I've quoted above, my suggestion would be to look at the Body ID mod, and specifically the advanced version nukpana suggested here: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php/topic,8671.msg67561.html#msg67561 as a solution to my problem of getting the ID on everything - categories, pages and articles. I think that could pretty much solve your issue. (The smart way to go about it would be to create stylesheets for each id you wish to target and then call them in the <head>.)

I don't have any good suggestions for your other questions. Hopefully someone else does.

nukpana

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:47:19 am »

Since Fred answered the styling question, I will try and answer the SEO question... try, the keyword here (no pun intended).

Seriously, it is all about better and unique content. Structure your url titles, header title, and description meta better - think about who will be seeing this. Utilize the title & alt attributes and also think about microdata (think microformats/RDFa/schema.org) within the HTML5 document (future mod?) - search for a restarant in google and you will see the #of stars & other attributes.  This is coming from the itemprop attribute - http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/microdata.html

Keywords are not good nowadays, so don't bother too much with them - again good, well written content.
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66358
http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35252#how
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:50:32 am by nukpana »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 08:22:03 pm »

What I am wondering is, and I will do my own experimenting. Can everything be made editable through Snews such as storing all the CSS in an extra block and calling it in the head to allow for per page CSS styling? Or would there be a recommended way of doing this style of task? I have multiple similar questions but this one umbrellas the answer to my others. In my experiment I am going to try and clone a wordpress template making use of those extra blocks and see how exact I can get with it.

It's been a while since I've explored WP but Simple Machines Forums - the package running this sNews website - uses a fairly sophisticated admin function-set that allows the Admin to browse the templates and files in any installed theme and edit the theme's PHP and CSS template files. Files (already on the server) are listed and can be opened in a plain text text-area edit panel. You make a change and re-save the file (on the server). This eliminates the need to make the changes on a localhost install and FTP'ing the file back up to the server.

I am sure that a similar system could be written and added to sNews. It would require a significant investment of time in learning about an existing system and doing some 'reverse engineering' to come up with a system suitable for sNews. It really depends on how much time someone has to accomplish it.

In its' default form, sNews is really simple in that the template file is index.php and it only has the one style.css file, so in its' simplest form a template editing system for sNews would just have to deal with those two files. However, if one wanted more flexibility to edit multiple templates - like with the Switcherizer 2 add-on developed by Bob Baker a few years back - then the template editing system would need to be able to list and allow editing for all installed templates' relevant files.

I guess it all boils down to 'need'. Personally, I've never found the need for such a system with sNews... but it would definitely be a userful feature for anyone who needed it.

As far as the What you see is what you get addons for snews go. I was wondering if any further advances have been made since 2007 or if any of you use any particular method to get that style of editor into the admin.

For use in the admin panels only, have you tried using the TinyMCE Editor with an sNews Skin yet? The skin is the same one used by WordPress in WP 3.1.4.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

nukpana

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:11:36 pm »

Files (already on the server) are listed and can be opened in a plain text text-area edit panel. You make a change and re-save the file (on the server). This eliminates the need to make the changes on a localhost install and FTP'ing the file back up to the server.

I am sure that a similar system could be written and added to sNews. It would require a significant investment of time in learning about an existing system and doing some 'reverse engineering' to come up with a system suitable for sNews. It really depends on how much time someone has to accomplish it.
There is a php function called file_get_contents. Wrap it in a textarea and do what else that needs to be done...:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.file-get-contents.php
Code: [Select]
<textarea><?php echo file_get_contents('css_file.css'); ?></textarea>