Living in the modern world today means we almost cannot live without a Wi-Fi connection. So much of our work, our communications, our entertainment and even some of the functioning of our buildings rely on a solid internet connection.
For this, we need a great wireless router, which offers us an easy and secure connection to a range of devices, without having to deal with unsightly cables everywhere.
There are so many routers to choose from- all in different price ranges. The selection can easily overwhelm anyone.
Today, we look at some of the best routers for under $100. In this price range, you can find routers which offer some of the best value for money and are ideal for homes and small business premises (with under 20 employees or connected devices).
Here are the top 10 routers under $100
This router offers one of the best network coverages and the fastest Wifi speeds, out-performing routers way outside its price range. It is ideal for homes or small offices which need to connect multiple devices to the internet without compromising speed and performance.
- 3x External + 3x Internal Antennas
- Dual Band 2.4ghz (Up To 450Mbps) + 5ghz (Up To 1300Mbps)
- Wi-Fi Speed Up To 1750Mbps
- CPU Processor Single-Core
- 4x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 1x Gigabit WAN Port
- USB Ports2x USB 2.0
- Intuitive Mobile Interface
- TP-Link Tether App
Netgear has been one of the leaders in network technology for years, so you know you can rely on them.
This router is loaded with all the latest and necessary networking features to make sharing large files, multi-player gaming and HD streaming- hassle-free.
- Simultaneous Dual Band
- Wifi Speed 300 + 450 – Up To 750Mbps
- Gigabit Wired
- Two (2) USB 2.0 Port
- Wirelessly Access And Share USB Hard Drive And Printer
- Ipv6 Compatible
- Supports Windows 8, Apple Time Machine Compatible
- Netgear Genie App – Personal Dashboard To Monitor, Manage And Repair Your Network
- Readyshare USB Printer
- Advanced Qos
- Wireless Security With WPA/WPA2
- VPN Support
- Guest Network Access
- Time Machine—Automatic Mac Backup To A USB Hard Drive Connected To The Route
- Parental Controls
The Nighthawk is a high capacity router, ideal for multiple users. Its phenomenal Wi-Fi speed allows over a dozen devices to be connected to the router at high capacity, before the speed or connection start to be affected. It is compatible with most devices and offers excellent network security.
- Wi-Fi Speed 1750Mbps (450+1300 Mbps Speeds
- 3 external antennas
- Wireless Bands Dual Band (450+ 1300Mbps)
- Wireless Range Better
- Dual Core 1ghz CPU Processor
- Ethernet Ports
- 1 3.0 USB
- 4 LAN Ports
- VPN Support Readyshare Vault – PC Backup Software
- Compatible With: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, Or Linux
- Prioritized Bandwidth For Gaming, Streaming Videos Or Music
- Works With Amazon Alexa/Google Assistant
- Nighthawk App To Manage Router, From Your Mobile Device
This router is especially good value for money, as many of its features are not usually found in this price range. It can function as a router as well as a Wi-Fi bridge and a range extender to other routers. It is ideal for small homes and workspaces performing primarily light surfing and file sharing tasks, looking for ease of use and versatility over high-speed performance.
- Multi-Purpose Usage: Use As Primary Wi-Fi Router Or Range Extender Or Access Point Or Wireless Bridge – No Built-In DSL Modem
- Two Internal Wifi Antennas
- Wifi Speed 300Mbps
- Bandwidth: 2.4ghz
- USB Ports: 2 LAN + 1 WAN Ports
- Memory: 64 MB RAM
- 16 MB Flash Display
- DSSS, OFDM, MIMO Technology
- Wireless Compatibility: 802.11bgn
- Compatible With Pc, Windows, Mac, Linux, IPhone, IPad, Android, XBOX
- Encryption: 64/128/256-Bit WEP, WPA, WPA2
- Port Forwarding, Firewall, DMZ, Upnp
- 1 Year Limited Warranty And Unlimited Technical Support
- WPS Control
- Data Transfer Counter
- URL/Keywords And User Filtering (IP/MAC)
The Asus RT-N66U Dual Band Wireless router is one of the fastest and most efficient and versatile routers for under$100. It is one of the best routers for streaming media and wireless gaming.
- 3 Detachable High-Powered Antennas
- 2.4 Ghz And 5 Ghz Concurrent Dual-Band Transmissions
- Connection Rates Up To 900 Mbps
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- WAN Ports – 1 X 10/100/1000M
- LAN Ports – 4 X 10/100/1000M
- Download Master For Wireless Data Storage
- Access To Router-Connected USB Storage Devices
- 3G Sharing, Including File And Printer Sharing
- Two Multi-Functional Built-In USB Ports
- ASUSWRT Dashboard UI For Easy Setup
- Signal Monitoring, And Network Application Control
The Medialink AC1200 offers superfast speeds. It enables up to 20 devices to be connected at high-usage levels, without speed or connectivity being compromised. This router also doubles as a range extender for existing Wi-Fi routers. It is considered one of the best routers for Ultra HD streaming as well as multi-player gaming.
- 2 High Powered Antennas
- Wireless Range Extender
- Broadcom ARM Cortex-A7 CPU Processor
- Wifi Speed 1200 Mbps (300Mbps 2.4ghz + 867 Mbps 5ghz)
- Wireless Range Of Up To 2000 Sf
- Beamforming Technology
- 4 X Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- VPN Support
- Guest Network
- Full Parental Control
- US Customer Support
- Robust Firewall And Wireless Security
This is another combination router which offer both a router and extender function for existing Wi Fi and offers decent speeds and a wide range of security features.
- Full-Rate ADSL 2/2+ Modem And Wireless-N Router
- Wifi Speeds Of Up To 300 Mbps
- Antennas- MIMO Smart Antenna
- 4-Port Switch
- One Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line ( ADSL ) Port
- Four 10/100 Ethernet Local Area Network
- Wireless Security: TKIP, AES, WPA/WPA2 Encryption
- High-Grade Firewall
- Parental Controls
- 802.11n Technology
- Automatic Configuration
- 24/7 Customer Support
This router offers a large range of features, rivalling that of higher-priced routers. With maximum speeds of up to 1200Mbps, it is placed in the higher performing end of this price range.
- Dual-Band, 2.4ghz And 5ghz
- Wi-Fi Speed Up To 1200Mbps
- Multiple Ssids: 2 X Ssids On 2.4ghz
- 2 X Ssids On 5ghz
- USB Ports USB 2.0 Port Supports File Sharing, Easy To Configure
- Ports: LAN, WAN, USB, TF
- 5 High-Gain (7dbi) External Antennas
- Supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi Standard And Is Compatible With 802.11a/B/G/N.
- Parental Control
- Desktop Installation
- MAC Filtering: Wireless MAC Address Filtering, Whitelist And Blacklist
- Multiple Wireless Securities: WEP, WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise, WPA-PSK And WPA2-PSK
- Secured Connection To A Core VPN Gateway Or VPN Service Provider
The TP-link Archer AC1900 Smart Wi-Fi provides more even distribution of Wi-Fi signals and a smooth performance. This router definitely has all the technological and performance advancements of a pricier model, for much less.
- Wi-Fi Speeds Up To 1.9GBPS (600+1300 Mbps)
- Simultaneous 2.4Ghz 600Mbps And 5Ghz 1300Mbps Connection
- 1Ghz Powerful Dual-Core Processor
- 1.9Gbps Of Total Available Bandwidth
- Compatible With Smart Home And Alexa-Enabled Devices
- 1x USB 3.0 And 1x 2.0 Ports
- Ready Share With Printers, Files, And Media Across Your Network
- Network Setup With The TP-Link Tether App
- 2-Year Warranty
- 24/7 Technical Support
The AFOUNDRY High Power Dual Band Wireless Wi-Fi Router provides incredibly high speeds and lag-free performance. It is ideal for small businesses and large premises as it can provide up to 400 square meters of coverage. This is router only, not a modem.
- 6 Omni Directional High-Gain Antenna
- 3 Core Processors Working Simultaneously: MT7621 + MT7612EN + MT7603
- Total Transmission Rate Up To 1200Mbps
- High Power Gigabit
- One USB3.0
- Support 100 Devices Online
- Cover With Metal Shell For Better Heat Dissipation
- Supports IEEE 802.11ac Standard
- User-Friendly Web-Based Management
- Lifetime Warranty
- 24/7 Technical Support
There you have it: Our top ten routers for under $100. They each have their advantages and ideal user.
Take some time to consider your key factors:
- What type of task you are primarily using it for?
- How many users devices will be connected to it?
- What level of control and security do you need?
- Do you need more versatility or high-performance factors?
Once you have narrowed down your priorities, finding the router tailored to you will be a breeze.
This just proves that with the right information and research $100 can make for an invaluable investment.
Candice Janneman is a freelance blogger and copywriter from South Africa. One of her specialties is writing informative blog posts on topics relating to business, entrepreneurship and digital marketing. She is also a lover of books, films, nature and all things interesting, weird and wonderful.