Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Use TinyMCE Editor and keep your sNews HTML Tag Generators Too!  (Read 17406 times)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Use TinyMCE Editor and keep your sNews HTML Tag Generators Too!
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:46:13 AM »

Over the past couple of years I managed to build a fair amount of functionality into the content administration system with my evolving MEMU (Much Enhanced Multi-User) sNews 1.6 project. This included my spruced-up version of Mattonik's Image Links Inserter, my Links Inserter for article, page and menu (category & subcategory) links, and a File Links Inserter to insert MS Word, PDF and PowerPoint files (with corresponding icons). On a site that has a lot of articles, pages, files and images, these become very useful tools.

However, I've always wanted to use MCE's WYSIWYG Editor as the main content editor and still retain the ability to auto-generate links to articles, pages, files and images using the sNews Editor's tag(tag) function and Mattonik's tag1(tag1) function (the latter being a variation on the former). The stumbling block was figuring out how to have both functioning in separate textareas in the same Admin panel - simultaneously - without affecting each other.

Bascially, I wanted to be able to generate the tag-sets as I did before in one plain textarea, then cut & paste them into MCE's HTML pop-up panel where I wanted them to display. I also wanted to be able to do the same for poll function tags and other function tags using Philmoz's Function Inserter as well.

Happily, I managed to pull it off and here's the finished product... a completely revised Content Management page.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:49:56 AM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

alks

Re: Use TinyMCE Editor and keep your sNews HTML Tag Generators Too!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:17:02 PM »

This sounds useful, do you have the steps / instructions to do this with 1.6MU?

so far i have implemeted whizziwig editor which now comes with a combined file browser and image upload facility and it seams to work ok so far.

alks
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:55:14 PM by alks »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: Use TinyMCE Editor and keep your sNews HTML Tag Generators Too!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »

This sounds useful, do you have the steps / instructions to do this with 1.6MU?
so far i have implemeted whizziwig editor which now comes with a combined file browser and image upload facility and it seams to work ok so far.
alks

It turned out OK in the end but I never implemented for use in any live websites.
From there, I wanted to explore TinyMCE in-depth and figure out how to integrate the sNews tag generators as plug-ins within TnyMCE.
That would eliminate the need for this mod, and that would be my ultimate choice.
I haven't gotten back to this project since.

If you have the file browser and image upload functionality in your wysiwyg editor, then you likely don't need to have a separate text-area to generate links and copy/paste from. In that case.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU