Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: profiles and a not-MU-specific thing.  (Read 1612 times)

lilspen

profiles and a not-MU-specific thing.
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:38:52 am »

well, I want to know why profiles haven't been given the .htaccess mod_rewrite treatment.

I really don't like how it has ?action=profile&id=#. I would love to see it be as website.com/user/admin/
or just website.com/user/1/

either a mod or have it as a new feature in the next sNewsMU update. just... please.

Why is it that that 1 thing (which I think is important) was left out of the mod_rewrite?

and, when there is a folder with the same name as one of the rewrite folders (archive for example) the page goes to the proper folder and not the rewrite.
Any information on how it works?
I'm just wondering about it, that's all.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:41:57 am by nodnarb »

ens

• http://www.meatysite.info
Re: profiles and a not-MU-specific thing.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:06:29 pm »

This is because your web server only rewrites URLs according to the rule stated in the htaccess file. If you have any rule, it will follow that rule, but not any rule that is not stated there -- unless you already have the folder and in that case it doesn't need to rewrite it. sNews's rewriting rules are very specific.

For example, if you have a rewrite rule including the folder /home or /articles, apache will rewrite them, but not for unmentioned ones like your newly named folder. But since apache is essentially redirecting you to the "archives" folder, well, it already exists.

HOWEVER, I think there's a fix for this somewhere, because I remember that all that gibberish above ^ was a theory somewhere I read and that it can be fixed. Anybody got any input?

Sometimes it can be hard to fully understand mod_rewrite and all of its wondrousness, but you will get the hang of it eventually.

As for the profile url rewriting, if I'm not mistaken you will be able to get something like user/1 or id1 and not user/admin... But I haven't looked at sNews's htaccess file recently so I don't remember how it is particularly functioning. Also, you would need to change snews.php in order to have the links displayed properly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:19:17 pm by ens »