Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: solution to subpages?  (Read 2232 times)

edmarriner

solution to subpages?
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:23:34 pm »

Hi,

As i understand the current situation there is no current way to create subpages. is this correct?

• Ive read people say about using cat's with articals but i have two issues with this.
    1) I cant seem to work-out how to make the cat page have text on like a page or artical.
                -is there any way / MOD that allows you to make the cat page basicly a normal page?
    2) im looking to use this CMS for my websites i create for clients but i think using cat and articals will confuse them.

Im tring to create a structure somthing like for example:
Home
About
Services
  ----SubPage
  ----SubPage
  ----SubPage
Contact
SiteMap

Any suggestions?

I hope this makes sense,

thanks

-ed

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: solution to subpages?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:30:19 pm »

Have a look at how the Pages in Categoriesproject worked out. It required a specific set of modifications to get it all working well and the results were positive.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

mikec

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:47:54 pm »

@Key ...New to Snews here and I have been trying to accomplish sub-pages and have implemented your Pages listed under Categories and have replaced the pages() with the categories() and all is well to a point. The only problem with this is that there is no way to add content to the Parent Menu (category Item) ...just the link appears to the sub page and then when clicked the content appears. Is there a way to get content on the first click of the root Item? Do you know any one who has done something like this?

I would assume that this could be done via some sore of hover over the root link the subs appear in the foreground.

On the other hand it would really be nice :D if there was a way you could set a page to be a category and then have other pages under that page/category.

Thanks for all of your help..

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:29:13 am »

....The only problem with this is that there is no way to add content to the Parent Menu (category Item) ...just the link appears to the sub page and then when clicked the content appears. Is there a way to get content on the first click of the root Item? Do you know any one who has done something like this?
.... I would assume that this could be done via some sore of hover over the root link the subs appear in the foreground.
.... On the other hand it would really be nice :D if there was a way you could set a page to be a category and then have other pages under that page/category.
Thanks for all of your help..

Chances are I might not get exactly what you are trying to achieve... but perhaps this example might be close to it.

Take a look at the horizontal nav bar under the header image on this domain. This is a heavily modified (about 50 or more mods) sNews package based on Bakercad's sNews 1.6.3MU package. Ingnore the "dummy" content. It's pretty much completed but still being fine-tuned.

It took me quite a while to adapt one of Stu Nicholl's drop-down menus into a re-vamped set of category/subcategory functions (originally authored by Equilni last fall) but it works fairly well... the only drawback is that you have to click-through - on the category titles to reveal their parent content titles (articles and pages) and again on the subcategory titles to reveal their content title links (articles and pages). The content links take you to the content.

As an example... let's click-through the Museum Category title (the museum section is being populated by a young student working at the local museum in her spare time). Clicking Museum reveals 2 parent content links to pages... Our Museum and Our Art Gallery. Clicking them will take you directly to those pages. Below that are several Subcategory titles... clicking any one then reveals the content links (in fly-outs) to more pages. The same menuing system is used for each Category in the nav-bar.

Now... back to the Home page. Notice that the Home accumulates articles and as more articles are added... they are paginated with the page number links available at the left top and bottom... as they would with a basic sNews install.

This package also uses Bakercad's Switcherizer2 Template system. Home uses a "home" template. Community, Services and Visitor Info use a "default" template which is exactly the same as the "home" template... the only difference being that the "home" displays articles on Home and the Calendar block... while the others don't. So... we're only publishing articles to Home and publishing pages to all the other categories and subcategories. (The other four categories each use a different template... and the Admin system uses an Admin template).

Sometime in the near future (hopefully before Christmas) I want to want to explore (integrate) other Category/Subcategory menuing options as well with other template sets and release this heavily expanded version of sNews 16MU as a generic package. I should have time once winter sets in.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mikec

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:18:20 pm »

@Key... Those menus are exactly what I am looking for... right now I am using http://more2see.it/sNewsSUBP and it works great but I need something a bit more flexible... If I could get bakercad's  page order system to work with the NewsSUBP I would be set for time being.... But I canít get my head around the proper php coding for this as I am a novice to php .

Any assistance would be great help.

Thanks 

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:58:43 pm »

@Key...
1 - Right now I am using http://more2see.it/sNewsSUBP and it works great but I need something a bit more flexible...
2 - If I could get bakercad's page order system to work with the NewsSUBP I would be set for time being.... But I canít get my head around the proper php coding for this as I am a novice to php .

1 - I've not installed and explored Fabio's SUBP package... but I just tried his demo and it does work great.
    Perhaps... just a guess... but it may be possible to adapt my menuing script (currently applied to Equilni's category & subcategory functions)
    to Fabio's pages function(s) and accomplish the same thing. Pages titles would take the place of my Category titles.

2 - Are you referring to Bakercad's Enhanced Page Order Mod?
    I've not installed and explored it either.

Thinking back to last fall... I think I chose to work with Equilni's Cat/Subcat approach because I also wanted the ability to publish both articles and pages to the Cats & SubCats... and be able to re-order all forms of content - articles, pages and extras. I eventually ended up with my Ultimate Content Reordering mod (based on J. Rivera's Article Sorting Mod) in combination with expandable Content Panels by Category (in the Admin) by Philmoz.

Combined, these provide much more versatility (at least for me). When I click VIEW beside "Articles", "Pages" or "Extras", Philmoz's mod brings me to an admin page with all active Category & Subcategory titles as expandable panels. When I expand a given panel, all of the content available (assigned to that cat or subcat title) is listed... each with a small order-number field beside it. If I have 6 articles or pages in a given panel (cat or subcat) I can them re-number them from 1 to 6, hit the REORDER button, and they are re-ordered everywhere they are available... in the VIEW panel, the menus, the sitemap and archive pages. And... reordering the extras titles will change the order of the extras wherever they are being displayed in the template (index.php) file.