Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: [Addon Package] Whizzywig editor  (Read 76650 times)

dissoww

Re: [Addon Package] Whizzywig editor
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »

:-[
It won't work for me.

I'm new to "snwes" an the Whizzywig editor will not work for me. Where to put all the files?
Past the line in to snews.php (line number are differed in my file version snews17_may.12.10). Whizzywig editor last version March 12, 2010.

Thanks so
dissoww@hotmail.com

kreatur

• RoManga
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 03:13:43 AM »

Past the line in to snews.php (line number are differed in my file version snews17_may.12.10).
This is for 1.6, what you're looking for can be found here: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?board=99.0

alks

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »

I'm really confused now. Just completed my project only to find (while updating the content for the new site) a bizzare problem that i have no idea how to solve. Everything appears to be fine apart from this.

If i paste content into the editor (from word or just content from notepad) the text goes in just fine ........but when i come to save/edit the new article or page the changes are not saved to the database !!  ??? ???

If i type the text in instead it does!. There is no visual differnce between the two methods, both add text into the editor - when checking html mode there is nothing differn't between the two (the text is there between 2 <p> tages). They are identical.

So why will the page / article not save if i use the paste method? Anybody any ideas?
 I have users waiting to try out their new website and this fault is really badly timed. :'(

alks
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:13:34 PM by alks »

Fred K

• sNews Dude
  • ULTIMATE member
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »

alks, this is just a guess - I have not worked with the Whizzywig editor and I don't use either Word or Notepad so I may be completely wrong - but it could be the old "crap code" problem that appears here for some reason. E.g. the fact that Word at least has a tendency to add extra things when text is copied from it and pasted in other environments. I know for a fact that similar problems to this happen (or happened, not sure if it's been fixed now) in Freeway when pasting text from Word. One way to try and find out is to paste the text in a good text editor - I hear that Notepad++ is better than Notepad for example - and then copy the text in that editor and paste it into an sNews article. Just to see if there's any difference.

Other than that, sorry, I don't have a good idea.

alks

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »

Fred k , thanks for your ideas. I tried notepad becuse it would not add any extra junk - but now i have discovered the situation is even more weird.

Ok i typed some text in word then pasted it into whizziwig and it worked - great!! but then i pasted another paragraph from the same word document and suddenly it didnt work. Tried a few times no luck then suddenly it works again. I tried pasting some text directly from another website but this didnt work, but i remember it did work the first time i tried to do this when i was testing the website. So the problem seams to be coming and going which makes it even more diffiuclt to solve. There must be something causing this but all my tests seam to throw up no clues so far - it just seams to randomly occuring at the moment.  ???

update: anything pasted from another webpage defo will not work. Pasting from word seams to be working two thirds of the time now - weird. It must be some extra markup or something effecting things but i cannot see what it is at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:32:24 PM by alks »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »

@ Alks... a couple of questions...
1. Are you doing the testing offline (locahost) or online?
2. What browsers are you viewing in after each save... IE or F-Fox... or both?

This may or may not apply in your case but... once in a while, when doing edits on my localhost machine, I've experienced edits not showing right away.
In such cases I always keep a browser tab open with my database up in phpMyAdmin and refresh the articles table after each edit to see if the edit has been saved to the articles table... and it was always saved even though it didn't show right away. I assumed this was due to a caching problem.

I never copy and paste directly from a Word file... I copy/paste into a Notepad .txt file to be sure it's 'clean' and then copy/paste from there into the sNews textarea. I've worked a bit with TinyMCE and it always works OK for me... but I have not worked with Whizzywig.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

alks

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »

Hi Keyrocks, yes i am testing both online and off line.

But.... i have found the problem - trouble is i dont know how to fix it. After testing for hours today i have just discovered that i cannot enter any text (even with just typing in the text) or paste in any text that has a single apostrophe in it.
The problem lies with apostrohe's. I thought it was just a paste problem but it seams its quite a major problem. I have discovered that if i enter two apostrophe's together  i.e. Haven''t then it will work. When i go back to the editor later the second apostrophe has disapeared and only 1 remains. Becuse i'm having multiple users edit this website i really need this to be working correctly. I'm not sure if the problem is with the editor or with snews??

Not sure what to do about it at the moment....

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:49:14 AM by alks »

Fred K

• sNews Dude
  • ULTIMATE member
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2010, 02:15:42 AM »

Aha. I thought the single apostrophe bug had been fixed ages ago, at least when they appear in the title. I personally have not had any problems with single apostrophes in content but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. To determine whether the problem is with sNews or the whizzy editor, try pasting the same test (including single apostrophes) in one installation that doesn't have the whizzywig editor and in one installation that has it. I appreciate that it's a bit extra work but it should give you proper clues.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2010, 02:16:32 AM »

After testing for hours today i have just discovered that i cannot enter any text (even with just typing in the text) or paste in any text that has a single apostrophe in it.Not sure what to do about it at the moment....

Hmmm... this seems to ring a bell in my mind but I can't put my finger on what it was at the moment... (titles?).
I haven't experienced the apostrophe issue with the sNews Editor itself though.

Perhaps it has something to do with the database character setting???
When I create new d-bases, phpMyAdmin has a "Collation" field beside the database name field.
I always choose utf8_unicode_ci (at the bottom of the list) ... and be sure that either utf8_general_ci or utf8_unicode_ci is in the mysql connection collation field below it... before hitting the CREATE button.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:18:45 AM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

alks

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »

Ok i have done some more testinga nd changes.

@Fred k , I removed the editor from my snews installation and when using the default snews editor there were no problems with using single apostrophe's. It seams there is something going on with the editor ?

@keyrocks, My database collation was set to latin1_swedish_ci this shoud make no differnce as this setting is the same as english anyway and ive always used this collation setting. However i did change my database to utf8_unicode anyway just in case and it made no differnce.

This error must have appeared for everyone using the whizziwig editor and snews i would think?

Any ideas where i go from here?

thanks for your help

alks

Fred K

• sNews Dude
  • ULTIMATE member
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »

To find out why Whizzy causes the problem I'd suggest talking to the people behind the editor and see if they have any suggestions how to fix it. I've never used it so I can't really say.

One way to get around the problem is to tell your editors that instead of the lazy normal single quote they have to use the typographic single quote (on my Mac keyboard itís shift+alt+'). However in order for it to work across the board you would do well to set the db collation to utf8_general_ci or utf8_unicode_ci per Keyrocks' suggestion earlier, as well as making sure that all your snews files (index.php, snews.php) are using the UTF-8 charset setting AND that UTF-8 is set as the charset in your Admin panel -> Settings ->Time/Locale. I do this all the time on my own sites. I understand that it may not be entirely easy to get people to do that, at least not if they're used to typing the standard single quotemark, but it would most likely help. Of course you'd have to try it in Whizzywig first to make sure it actually works.

Another approach might be to change to a different editor, TinyMCE for example. I can't say for sure if it would help with the single quotemark problem, but it might. I have a couple of clients where I've used TinyMCE as the editor in sNews and none of them have reported any problems of this nature. Last resort could be to go with the default sNews editor and tell the editors how to use the various buttons to get the basic HTML right.

alks

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »

Thanks Fred,

I cant ue the default editor as it was a requiremnet that a wizziwig style editor was used. It also has the advantge of a file upload and browse facility as an extension - making uploading images easy for the user as it automatically puts the correct link in place. I might take a look at fckeditor at some point also. I would try tinyMce but there is no image facilty unless you pay - plus its bigger file.  In fact overall Whizziwig seames very small, fast loading and simple to use so far.

Since the apostrophe does not effect the standard snews editor - it must be the whizziwg thats somehow causing it so i assume that an adjustment in the code for it will work but since its not my program it would take ages to find out what - if at all. Ive had a look at the code but as yet have no clue. The only hack for it so far is to make sure you put two apostrophes togther then when it saves only one will remain.

im assuming that this apostrophe problem has come up before with snews then?

alks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:38:31 PM by alks »

Fred K

• sNews Dude
  • ULTIMATE member
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2010, 09:12:20 PM »

Quote from: alks
im assuming that this apostrophe problem has come up before with snews then?

Yes, it was an issue way back in the early days but that was when using quotes in article/page titles. I can't recall it ever having been a problem in the article body.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:16:21 PM by Fred K (agentsmith) »

alks

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2011, 01:40:03 PM »

Ok, I have been looking at this issue again and found a fix from older post that seams to make apostrophes work with whizziwig on my 1.6MU.

http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=4629.0

Adding this fix appears to solved the problem. I'm not sure why it would work but if I use the default Snews editor on the same server it doesn't need the fix!! How strange ??. I might double check this at some point but for now it appears (unless anything else crops up due to the fix) that everything is working.

**edit : my single user version does actually have the fix - it just doesn't appear to be on the MU version so therefore the MU package will need to be updated with the fix which is on the 1.6 version**

alks
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:20:57 PM by alks »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]