Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: sNews 17MU Install Problem  (Read 1766 times)

jmonroe

Re: sNews 17MU Install Problem
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 03:50:48 PM »

That's actually supposed to say 5.6. I am not sure how only 6/ came out. I think I was half sleeping when I typed out the message to you hence all of the garbage included with it. I will take a look some more and see. Trying to set the script to connect using mysqli as well and usind a dbconfig file to obtain the details. Trying to use the 17mu script as is isn't working in my environment. See my specs below and I just downgraded this morning to 5.3 but no change.

Apache Version    2.2.29
PHP Version    5.3.29
MySQL Version    5.5.48-cll
Architecture    x86_64
Operating System    linux

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »

NOTE: This thread has been split off from another thread - snews1.7 mod for php7 because it's related specifically to the Multi-User version of sNews 1.7.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

witit

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »

To connect to database using mysqli, use this code:
Code: [Select]
function connect_to_db() {
$db = ($GLOBALS["___mysqli_ston"] = new mysqli(db('dbhost'),  db('dbuname'),  db('dbpass'), db('dbname')));
if ($mysqli->connect_errno) {
    echo "Failed to connect to MySQL: (" . $mysqli->connect_errno . ") " . $mysqli->connect_error;
}
No need to select the db because dbname is already specified. The supergolbals $GLOBALS["___mysqli_ston"] is defined here for use in all the mysqli_query statements as an additional parameter required.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »

I completed a fresh install of sNews 17MU on my localhost (offline) machine which is running with PHP version 5.4.31.
The install went flawlessly in less than 5 minutes, including database creation and populating.

The package I installed has this at the top of the snews17MU.php file. And, it includes a WORK_LOGS folder with two files in it 1) changes_by-ha100.txt  and 2) testing-and-mods-by-keyrocks.txt
... Check your installation package to see if we're both using the same file & package.

Code: [Select]
<?php session_start();
/********************************************************

sNews 1.7 MU Release Candidate - 2

Multiple User MOD Version
by Bob Baker - http://4inchorange.com/

ported to v1.7 by ha100

Copyright (C) Solucija.com
sNews is licensed under a Creative Commons License

*********************************************************/

J Munroe - Please post the complete URL to where your blank web page is so I can view it, thanks.

Also - have a look at this thread - SOLVED - Blank page with V1.7 for a simple modification that will help determine if you are just having a database connection problem or something else. sNews 7 didn't have the error reporting functionality that was in the sNews 6 versions - this modification puts it back into 1.7.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:10:24 PM by Keyrocks »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jmonroe

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 12:16:14 AM »

I will try removing all files...and deleting the database and start from scratch with a fresh copy of the snews17mu-patched that you posted a good while back.

I will update you shortly.

Edit: I downloaded the file and uploaded but still get blank white page.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:57:38 AM by jmonroe »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:27 AM »

Edit: I downloaded the file and uploaded but still get blank white page.

Please post the complete URL to your website - where your blank web page is, thanks.

jmonroe

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »

Sent you a pm Doug. Thanks

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
SOLVED: sNews 17MU Install Problem
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 06:10:40 AM »

J Monroe found that the problem may have been caused during removal of a previous install that left something behind, and may have kept the sNews17MU package from functioning. A complete clean-out of the host server's root directory, followed by a re-install of sNews17MU (and a fresh database) appeared to solve it. My guess is that the host's server may have been backed up with the old install's files from a mirror server after sNews17MU was installed the first time ... I had that happen to me several years go ... once.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:13:21 AM by Keyrocks »
Pages: 1 [2]