Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: it's been a while  (Read 3425 times)

arwen54

it's been a while
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »

hi all! 

Some of you may remember me from OSWD, OD, OWD, and GFWD days - it's been a long time - I was a huge WordPress fan, contributor, and service provider - still have a couple of sites flying under the radar with WP installed - but for the most part - WordPress has become the most dangerous CMS to have installed because millions of people use it and it is so easily hacked - hence the switch to sNews - thank you, guys, for a beautiful, clean, simple system - no frills, but it does the job and what I wanted changed, I did so very easily. It will probably be a work in progress as I add some more mods and add-ons in the weeks to come.

I wish I had used it all along - truly!

I forget some of the XHTML strict rules sometimes, though, because I have begun to use HTML5 on experimental templates and it really gets confusing at times switching back and forth between doc types - so last night I finally validated -  ;D
Now that I know how easy it is to create sNews themes, I will be experimenting ;)

thanks for letting me join your community :)

cheers!

sibas

• simply4all a social directory
Re: it's been a while
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »

Welcome arwen54, hope to enjoy sNews and this small community. :)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »

thanks for letting me join your community  :)

You're welcome Karen. :)
We get anywhere from 175 to 300 registrations per day and - on most days - they are all spammers. For some time now we've been filtering registrations before activation to keep them off our forums. Luckily, your registration just happened to pass the filter check and ... well ... here you are.  ;D

I'm one of the few sNews Dudes who still log in regularly and, along with Phil Martin (Philmoz), handle account registration checks & activations and provide answers to questions when available. Bob Baker (bakercad) recently transferred our forums to a new host server and solves the server issues when they pop up.

I was a huge WordPress fan, contributor, and service provider - but for the most part - WordPress has become the most dangerous CMS to have installed because millions of people use it and it is so easily hacked - hence the switch to sNews - thank you, guys, for a beautiful, clean, simple system ...

Interesting observation.
When I 'graduated' from building static sites (using MS FrontPage) about 8 years ago, my first open source CMS project used php-Nuke. I came across sNews in early 2006, joined this forum and have stayed with it since. Up to 2009, I created a lot of mods and packages. Through another 'community', I got 'roped' into modifying and theming a propretary asp.net project which eventually led me to becoming its (almost) full-time administrator. That led to replacing it (last year) with a new forum on a new domain using Simple Machines (which sNewscms.com runs on) and ... a few clients I met there who wanted me to configure WordPress sites for them. I haven't run into hacking issues but I have run into some constraints using WordPress that I find inconvenient.

It's funny how one thing leads to another. While all of that meant that I haven't contributed anything new to sNews for a few years, I still have a half-dozen variations of sNews 1.6 and 1.7 that I find easier to use on my own domains because I know them inside and out.

sNews hasn't advanced since version 1.7.1. While the 'Dudes' did consider working on a new version - 2.0 - starting from scratch, it hasn't yet moved beyond the concept stage mainly because we became busy with other things in life like work and family commitments, etc. Work on a 2.0 version might still come to pass in the near future. In the meantime, 1.7.1 continues to be our most recent, reliable, simple, no-frills, easy-to-template package.

Meanwhile, feel free to use it and contribute whatever you learn or modify along the way with the rest of our community.  8)

Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

arwen54

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:43:56 AM »

why thanks guys - hey Doug - I love your neck of the woods - been there a few times in my travels throughout life :)

I totally understand how people get busy - I remember Luka too from the old days - wow - time has flown by so fast - I was on Facebook and kept in touch with people from the old group that way - but I really don't like Facebook - had no time for all the game requests and apps, etc., so that was why I had to close it down. Facebook is way too distracting and a bit on the intrusive side. imho.

anyhow, I'm loving sNews and have also begun work on another site - which will also be powered by sNews - :)

yeah - having a blast - still very much into learning anything new and have enormous respect for you uber-coders - me  - I'm good at modifying and theming - could never dream of coding a CMS from scratch and so lightweight and fast - using minimal resources on the server - gotta love it - web hosts must love sNews or anyone who uses it. lol

see you guys again soon - off for a gaming session  - ttfn  ;D