Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: RE: member trimming and spam attacks.  (Read 5235 times)

philmoz

• High flyer
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
RE: member trimming and spam attacks.
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »

Any comments here please.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:59:33 AM by philmoz »
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Nicu Alecu

• IT consultant
Re: RE: member trimming and spam attacks.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »

Well ... it was about time, Phil! I hate those long lists of spam posts in my rss reader!

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »

Thanks Phil.
Yes, the volume has kicked up recently.
I banned 13 'new' members over the last few days, deleted several posts by them, and relocated their 'new' topics to you-know-where.
Their IP racks show them to be coming out of China. I've been experiencing the same one other forums site I am with, and on another restricted access site... constant sign-ups from russian locations.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Nicu Alecu

• IT consultant
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:35:51 AM »

Hello everybody! I haven't been active on these forums for quite a while, but that doesn't mean I completely lost touch. Apart from still using sNews on a lot of websites, I did subscribe to the forums' RSS feed so that I could keep an eye on what's cooking.
OK, introduction is over! More to the point: it's not only the forums that has been swamped with spam, but the sNews website itself, too. Just as an example: check the comments here.
I did refer a friend to sNews CMS recently, so that he could give it a try for a personal website, only to have it backfire at me, when this friend emailed me back and said (literally): this looks like a ghost house!
Now, I still love this little piece of software and would love for it to keep evolving, but unfortunately I cannot help in that endeavor. What I can do though is help clean up the main website of shady adverts and nasty comments, along with applying a few mods on it to keep it nice and clean. I'm offering my time as a site admin on permanent basis, if the dudes will allow for it.

PS: there are a few issues left with the forums too, like strange characters appearing in places where a separator would be (like the breadcrumbs, for instance) ... an encoding issue?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:39:00 AM by Nicu Alecu »

philmoz

• High flyer
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »

Yup Nicu, I did see that spam and started to remove it. There was more, but it is a tedious task that would be far quicker if I had access to system tools as opposed to snews tools.

Forums still have registration turned off, but we can manually enroll. Much is in the hands of Luka.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:25:47 PM »

Hi Nic
Thanks for the heads up. I've noticed the character issues as well. Rui brought the ad-link string to my attention over the weekend and noted afterwards that Luka said he was testing some mods about 5 or 6 days ago and he would take care of cleaning up the spam. So I didn't pay attention to it.

after seeing your note and Philmoz's reply, I took a look in the forums' theme' admin area and found where the "" characters are coming from. I also removed the ad-link (sponsors" string, though I didn't remove the " characters. I want to discuss this some more with my fellow admins, Philmoz included, before taking any further action.

Thanks for offering to join the Admin team... we'll keep in touch with you on this. :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicu Alecu

• IT consultant
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »

OK dudes, drop me a note here or PM me, if there's anything I can do to help.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • Administrator
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »

UDATE: Well,,, I did'nt get to discuss the 'cleanup' with anyone else yet so I went ahead and did it without consultation. All of the orphans have been removed from the forums template. I still do not know who put them in there yet but I have an idea....  ::)

Nicu Alecu

• IT consultant
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »

Oh! much better, Key, thanks.