Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You need/want an older version of sNews ? Download an older/unsupported version here.

Author Topic: H1 is gone in R1.7.1  (Read 721 times)

bart

H1 is gone in R1.7.1
« on: November 27, 2010, 12:57:23 AM »

Hi,

I had snews 1.7.0 and tried the new snew.php 1.7.1
Maybe I made the whole site wrong and have to put the H1 tag in the content area but I can't find any
H1-tags in the new release. On my site all headlines changed from H1 to H2.
To me this looks very bad for SEO.

regards,
Bart

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
Re: H1 is gone in R1.7.1
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 03:49:10 AM »

I am not clear on what you are referring to.
You did not say how old your 1.7 package was.
As far as I can tell, <h1> tags have not been used in snews.php functions in 1.7 as long as I have been working with it.

I still have several default 1.7 packages archived on my server, going back to early 2009, including an MU package.
I've checked snews.php in them all. None use <h1> tags and all have the same number of <h2> tags in the same locations.
There were no title tag changes made in the 1.7.1 package in comparison to the previously available package.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

bart

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 05:56:51 AM »

Hi,

The site went up in 25.01.2010 so it's not that old.  But maybe you're right. I now think that I changed te title myself to H1.
I 'll try to upgrade again and make the same change.

Why has there never been a H1 ? Don't you think that's better for the searchengines?

regards,
Bart

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »

Bart,
sNews has never had <h1> for titles echoed by the system (snews.php), at least not as long as I've been using it. While I can't say the exact reason for this, I think it has to do with trying to produce a final product that uses valid and semantically sound xhtml code. In html4 and xhtml 1 (served as text/html), there should only be one <h1> on any given page. If you examine the standard index.php file you'll notice that this <h1> is reserved for the site name/branding, in the masthead. This part is global, e.g used on every "page" in an sNews site, which is why in snews.php the highest headline level you will find is <h2>.

Whether this principle is good for SEO or not might be debated (personally I think it is because it is semantically sound and gives the site a logical hierarchy, something that search engines appreciate), but that aside it's most likely the reason why there's no <h1> in snews.php.

html5 is a different beast (when it comes to hierarchy and the use of <h1>'s) but it's currently not complete or ratified so that's a future issue, not something we need to worry about today - unless of course we want to. ;)

bart

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:54:57 PM »

Hi,

I changed the site title / logo  from H1 to a span in index.php. I don't remember doing this months
 ago but I like to think it's better to have a unique H1 on every page.
But I understand what you're saying: twice a H1 is worse than having the same H1 text (once) in every page.

edit: ow, I put display:none; on the sitetitle so it's not showing on the pages.
regards,
Bart
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:01:11 PM by bart »