Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: fearelise.com - a constant work in progress :)  (Read 4961 times)

pearjam

fearelise.com - a constant work in progress :)
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:55:25 PM »

This is my sNews Powered site!

http://fearelise.com/

(I'm forever messing with it, so it may not always look good... :)  )

....I must go, for I am their leader - and they have gone.

pearjam

Re: fearelise.com - a constant work in progress :)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:37:37 PM »

Seems like I just posted this a little while ago  - but I've already had hits from:

Canada
Sweden
United States
Switzerland
Netherlands

They all came from this post - thanks guys!!

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »

Seems like I just posted this a little while ago  - but I've already had hits from:

Canada - Sweden - United States - Switzerland - Netherlands

They all came from this post - thanks guys!!

yeah... nice site Pear-jammer.  :)
Me, from Canada and (just a guess) Patric from Sweden, Nukpana or Bakercad from the U.S., and Brauk from the Netherlands.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

pearjam

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »

Well awesome!

Keyrocks - did you see the gallery working? (You helped me with it in a different thread.)

You might take a look in a day or two - that's when I'll have the Moab / SLC galleries up....but other galleries are there now.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:54:15 AM »

1)   Keyrocks - did you see the gallery working? (You helped me with it in a different thread.)

2)   You might take a look in a day or two - that's when I'll have the Moab / SLC galleries up....but other galleries are there now.

1) Yes, I did. I checked out your Jeep pics... hadn't looked at a 2005 before... that's nice... and the chick in the Jeep's nice too.  ;D
    I have a 1998 black Cherokee Sport... straight 4.0L 6-banger... getting a bit old now...
    ... the rocker panels are perforated with rust...
    ... the front drive axle U-joints are shot again (just changed 'em two eyars ago)...
    ... loose baffles in the muffler are rattling a bit loud... rusty brake lines... etc... but still a strong workhorse and easy to fix at home.

2) Let us know when you have the other galleries up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pearjam

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »

Hey thanks! I know what you mean, I've had to replace one u-joint, but they do run strong..   :)

Ok, three new galleries are up from the vacation, and they seemed to turn out pretty good!

There's a few other minor changes too.

Well, let me know what you think.., I need to post the finished gallery code as a add-on or something.

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 03:42:41 AM »

I like the header image ... a very David Lynch feel to it... ;)
Galleries seems to be working nicely. Feels like the overall site design needs a bit of work though (of course, taste is a personal thing, so take that comment fwiw.)

pearjam

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »

;D

Wow! The David Lynch thing is a great compliment!! Nice!

You might be talking about the dark image ('Me In Statues'). The header images rotate randomly, so each refresh of the page should give you a new image (unless the next image is randomly the same). All of the photos on the site were taken by me or someone else with my camera.

The design is purposefully lightweight (I'm a minimalist). I do plan to add thumb type images to articles and a few other minor design additions (going to experiment with the site title / tag line above the header image to free up one spot on the menu) - all of  which will add a little flare.. just haven't gotten around to it yet (I do all the coding by hand).

The overall design goal is 'modern, optimized, lightweight, elegance', and has been for a long time.. One of the reasons I like sNews - it fits into my overall goals. (The OS, site, pictures, CMS, statistics, firewall, database and everything on my server is only 329MB.) I may be putting my music up at which point the lights in the site will be darks.

Anywho - thank you for the great compliment!  ;D  I'm using your (FredK) no breadcrumbs on home mod too!! (Just as a side note, I'm adding credits to the about page soon, until a short while ago, I didn't have any other credits to put on there, and the page has been the same for a long time...  :) )

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »

Heh- no, I was referring to the auto dealer/repair shop sign. Reminded me of "Paris Texas", a juvenile favourite of mine. 8)
Thanks for the (coming) cred. Always glad to help.

pearjam

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:10:10 PM »

ahhh yes - the old Western Auto bldg in downtown - I tried for a grainy effect on that photo - tried giving it a 60's / 70's look by muting color and adding noise.

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 05:33:09 AM »

Hi!! nice site  :D
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

pearjam

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »

Thank you sir!!

pearjam

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »

I've made a new theme for my site - I'm calling it the 'ClearLine Theme' (for lack of a better name).  :)

There's one tweak left to go, a php back-to-top link that only shows after scrolling past a point on long pages. Other than that, it's has my 'in-article galleries' mod.. 'latest-article' on front page mod.. a counter I made that only counts index page hits.. a 'rotating image banner' that changes with every refresh (only one line of php).. and my 'no-match-captcha/anti-spam' mod. The whole thing is made to be as light weight as possible, with the most bang.

I'm curious what others think about the theme?

(I'm thinking about putting it in the themes section for others to use if they want - it would take some effort as some of the text is modified in snews.php and en.php for the theme. Not sure how to approach that if I did put it in the themes.)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:28:35 PM by pearjam »

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »

I'm curious what others think about the theme?
I'm thinking about putting it in the themes section for others to use if they want - it would take some effort as some of the text is modified in snews.php and en.php for the theme. Not sure how to approach that if I did put it in the themes.

It's a nice theme, easy on the eyes and not cluttered by unnecessary stuff.

If you decide to make it available as a theme to be used with a default sNews installation (not modified otherwise), then I would suggest you download the latest version of sNews (1.7.1), install it locally (if you have an localhost setup), get your new theme working with that by making the necessary changes in the snews.php file, then bundle it up, upload the ZIP to your domain (I put them in a dloads folder on mine) and point a link to it.

Ohhh... and provide some details in your post as well as to what was changed in snews.php and other files, sorta like a log o changes.

You could also make a common, searcheable, comment note in all locations in the snews.php file where the changes are (like - # Theme Mod Locator ), references on what was changed, etc. so that others would be able to use the file as a reference in copying the mods to a heavily-modded snews.php file to suit their own needs.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:33:45 PM by Keyrocks »

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:43 AM »

Superb pearjam!
Really a nice template and a splendid code.
Karma!
Pages: [1] 2 3