Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: ...like "members only"...page possibility.  (Read 8041 times)

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.
    • p-ahlqvist.com
...like "members only"...page possibility.
« on: November 26, 2005, 10:57:26 AM »

That title craves some explaining, right ?

Well, here goes. (and it's all bases on the fact that I can't do diddeliesqwat in PHP ;)):
I've got this idea, notion, thought that I would be able to create a page that demands logging in to just as the admin feature.
But it should not be associated in any way with the admin feature, but a standalone login to something like a "members only" section.

I can create (sort of, it isn't any good solution I think) a subfolder (with what problems with snews.php that gives) and ".htaccess it", but much as Luka, I don't like it that much. I would prefer to see this solved within the php code. This feature would perhaps hold the possibility to create a page that is protected like the admin, that I or even multiple users could logon to and take part of info that is only for them:

I don't know what this means, in coding. But this is my suggestion. And in order to clearify my somewhat confused post, hehe...:

1. Possibility to create a password protected page/article/section.
2. Possibility to creat and manage passwords and users within this section.
3. Possibility to add multiple users in this section.
4. Really no need for users to be able to actually do anything, but having access to it. The admin should however, through the admin section
    be able to edit and do everything as an admin can even with this password protected section.

So is this possible and if so can it become a part of snews, or should it be a mod ?   - Patric "Brainfecked" Ahlqvist ;)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

bryn

• http://www.cssugly.com
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 11:03:52 AM »

kind of like a "You need to be registered to view this page" Patric? ;)
Over 1,000 posts of joy, sNews is not only brilliant, but fun too! thanks guys :D

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 11:10:39 AM »

See ! How easy wasn't that to put all what I said in one line only :) Well, bryn that is exactly what I mean, hehe...

Need to get into town for a while scoping chics...I'll go have a coffee and a "rear survailance".
Updated

bryn

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 11:19:10 AM »

hehe..I can be a man of few words sometimes mate, just a case of knowing when and where!!!!

good luck on that scoping bro..though don't make your rear surveillance too obvious ok, these women seem to have a sixth sense and third eye built into the back of their brains somewhere  :o
Over 1,000 posts of joy, sNews is not only brilliant, but fun too! thanks guys :D

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:46:57 AM »

Uhuu, know what ya mean ;). With risk of being looked upon as a "goofy one", one could always wear shades...Only that it's quite cloudy here today, rainfilled clouds, novemberdark, so shades might strike people as strange, hehe... Newspaper with hole's in it could work aswell. But best way of viewing girl's rear ends is to act as a fainted guy in the mall. Girls come to help you and the level you're at gives you the possibility to see things few men can view without getting hurt, wohaaaaa ;)

Naaah'm joking, I aint that perverted, but I appriciate a nive behind every now and then...oh, in the viewing sense, that is.

No, actual thought on my suggestion, eh, Bryn ?
Updated

bryn

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 03:26:10 PM »

Well..my immediate thoughts on your suggestion Patric are that it would be a nice idea for future implementation into sNews..

However, and I'm not a php guru by any stretch of the imagination..I would imagine that this would have to come from a far more advanced "User" system than we currently have, and that this in itself could cause problems for Luka, firstly by having to develop it in the first place [the poor guy already has enough on his plate  ;)], and secondly..how do we tie this into sNews without bloating the code, or moving away from a single file cms, to something more complicated and filesome!

When I make statements like that btw..I'm really inviting comments from people who know a whole lot more than I do about coding, and not critiquing ok  ;D

However..if this was to be done, then I imagine that it will open up a whole new world of possibilities for Third Party Developers to be able to make addons and modules available on a "User Level" basis..this has been attempted, achieved, and pondered on by many other "shall remain nameless" cms's in the past, and has not come about without much code mungeing and topical debate, so I'll leave the decision on practicalities to you guys here and Luka, but I'd be interested in what others think about this?

For me personally, it's not something I would require of a basic cms, and if I wanted this feature I would have to be tempted to move onto other tried and tested ones to accomplish it..but if it could be done, it could be handy!

PS: and sometimes I write way too much for my own good!  ;) hope I didn't bore anyone  :rolleyes:

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 06:07:20 PM »

I'm not bored, and partly agree with your reasoning... I posted the suggestion as I didn't know if it was to be a grand job, or just a small implementation...Was hoping for the later ;).

If it isn't, well, then I can take it. I won't change CMS, I'll be sNews faithful for yet some time, hehe...Who really needs those big, awsome, tiredsome BIG kahoonas of CMS anyways, eh ? I just figured if it was something easily done, it should be done, if not, so be it...I can solve it by, deleting the menu items and add plain links to the menu area, and instead of search I can post "no search available due to security reasons in the members section"...right ?

Ah, well...Have a nice saturday, ol' man...I'll habve a sip'o beer and cose some more before leaving this keyboard for tonight.

P
Updated

nuno

Re: ...like \
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:41:33 PM »

Hi, just wondered if there was any further discussion or work on a 'members only' area?

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Re: ...like
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »

Hi, Nuno... Well, if I'm not mistaken the sNews MU is the prolonging of this discussion... atleast in a sense as this permits you, the admin, to have multi users with restriced access to the site, and or parts of it...

Havn't explored it yet, as this particular client didn't persist in his request but settled for a normal sNews, with one "controller"/admin...

But check out the MU, if you're interested, I think that's what you're after if you need "members only" in regards of sNews...
Updated

nuno

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:11:28 PM »

Hi Patric,

I was thinking along the lines of say making certain articles only available to registered users. So when someone clicks on say, 'Read More', unless they are registered they go to a Members Login/Sign Up screen.

Patric Ahlqvist

• ULTIMATE member
    • p-ahlqvist.com
Re: ...like
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »

Mhm... was afraid of that, hehe... well, this discussion pretty much died when the MU came along, but if we persist on wanting to know if there is a solution to this, someone might answer... I can't however be of assistance :(
Updated

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 07:14:47 AM »

Hi Patric,
I was thinking along the lines of say making certain articles only available to registered users. So when someone clicks on say, 'Read More', unless they are registered they go to a Members Login/Sign Up screen.

I've applied this Users Only mod to Bakercad's sNews 1.6MU package to the menuing functions and in modified archive and sitemap functions as well. This mod provides a "Users View Only" check-box in the "Customize" panel when publishing an article... which applies this status with an additional useronly status field in the articles table.

I have not tried it but I have a feeling that it could be modified to work with sNew 1.4 as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:18:44 AM by Keyrocks »
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU