Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hello sNews crew!  (Read 2230 times)

carmelo

• carmelosantana.com
Hello sNews crew!
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »

Hey everybody! New to the sNews community so I figured it would be a snazy idea to say hello in the intro forum.

From what I've gathered so far - it seems that development of sNews has slowed to a crawl at the moment. Still a few strong users hanging around but otherwise it seems a bit stagnant. Is this correct? Don't mean to come here and offend just trying to understand the community so please don't take that the wrong way.

A little background about me ...

I'm a 25 year old developer out of upstate NY, located about an hour outside of NYC. I've been designing for about 8 years now, with the past 2 years focused on further developing my programming muscles. I've been developing almost entirely in WordPress (sorry guys haha) for the past 3 years, while its been fun and a huge learning experience I felt it was time I venture back out in the wild CMS community and see what's been cooking.

A few days ago I decided to search the web for a very simple CMS to toy with. I came across a few but the 2 that caught my eye were onefilecms, and sNews. Onefilecms is good for what it is, but I wasn't interested in static pages. sNews from the posts I've read, and quick testing I did, seems very much like a developers starting point. It wasn't designed to be "the end user product". I guess it could be, but its missing what people would consider "modern CMS features".

With that being said, I fell in love with sNew. It's similar to buying a car shell, you later plan on doing a motor swap on. I've had several concepts cooking in notebooks and scraps of code but wasn't happy with the implementation of them through WP. WP was just too much, it's been growing in size and it's reached a point where its time for me to try something new. Don't get me wrong, the majority of my business is from WP related jobs, but theres nothing wrong with a new CMS.

I've decided to build a fork of sNews. It's still in the earliest of stages but I wanted to get the community's thoughts on this. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I feel I can make a strong contribution to the open source community with a fork of sNews.

My plan is to keep the PHP as lightweight as possible. The overall package will be significantly heavier due to new JS, I know a few of you in here aren't fans of JS or AJAX but when used correctly it dramatically improves the end users experience. I don't want to get into too much detail now, there will be a detailed post regarding the fork once a release date is set. This was just to say hello, and let every one know a bit more about me, and what I have planned.

Oh and lastly ...

RIP IE 6 ...  :) - http://ie6funeral.com/

Edit: If anyone has any advice, or points you feel I should consider while developing this fork, please let me know. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:01:26 PM by carmelo »

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
Re: Hello sNews crew!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

Welcome to sNews carmelo, and good luck with the fork - it'll be interesting to see what you come up with and how much (if anything) of your fork's code could be ported back into sNews proper (that's just my take on it, btw, not any official "dudes" position).

You're right that the development of sNews, as well as the relative liveliness of this community, has slowed down of late. You can glean some of the reasons for that in the "looking towards 2.0" topic. The community has picked up a little over the past few weeks but it has generally been kinda slow for a while. Mostly due to lack of development I guess. There are a hard "core" of users that keep coming back though, so there's usually someone here to talk to. ;)

Have fun while you're here, don't hesitate to share your code or to help out others if needs be (if you want to/can, of course), and ... yeah that's about it. You'll most likely get a, shall we say, "warmer" greeting from our resident spreader of good will, Patric. So I'll just say welcome, and have fun.

As for *that browser* and its funeral: it's been dead for so long you'd think they'd'a buried it already. :D

carmelo

• carmelosantana.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »

Welcome to sNews carmelo, and good luck with the fork - it'll be interesting to see what you come up with and how much (if anything) of your fork's code could be ported back into sNews proper (that's just my take on it, btw, not any official "dudes" position).

Have fun while you're here, don't hesitate to share your code or to help out others if needs be (if you want to/can, of course), and ... yeah that's about it. You'll most likely get a, shall we say, "warmer" greeting from our resident spreader of good will, Patric. So I'll just say welcome, and have fun.

Thanks for the welcoming. If I can help in any way I plan on doing so. WP didn't grow to what it is today by people turning away from others in need. I'm here to help if I can.

My code will be made public on a public repository linked from the project's site.

I'll update with a URL once I have a little page up.

On another note....I'm in upstate NY too.  I went to yourhttp://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=63413;topic=8963.0;num_replies=2;sesc=eb822f8518b5ef510ed1c0bfb4fccaba website listed in your profile & noticed that you're in Newburgh.  I live about 30 minutes up the Thruway from you in Saugerties & I work about 10 minutes west of you in Montgomery.

That's great news! Maybe a meet and greet will be in order closer to spring. I used to live in Kingston a few years back so I'm familiar with your area a bit.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »

I haven't had the time to work on it either, but I've thought about doing a lot of JS & AJAX too and making a fork out of it.

Development is at a snails pace right now, but there has been a lot of discussion about moving forward toward 2.0.

On another note....I'm in upstate NY too.  I went to your website listed in your profile & noticed that you're in Newburgh.  I live about 30 minutes up the Thruway from you in Saugerties & I work about 10 minutes west of you in Montgomery.

Hehe... small world eh Baker?

Welcome from me also Carmelo. Like Bakercad I haven't had time to work on 'new' sNews stuff either... other projects keep coming by... maintaining and enhancing previous projects and so on. sNews' original author (Luka, in Croatia) has also been occupied with several other (revenue genreating) projects and, since sNews has been more of a hobby for most of us... new developments have been slow to come.

I look forward to seeing and, perhaps, test running your sNews fork when you have it ready to share. While there is no doubt some of our Dudes have been what we might refer to as purists... when it comes to keeping sNews small, simple and un-cluttered... I'm one of the few who doesn't mind adding more functionality and eye candy to make sNews more of an end-user product... at least for my clients and my own purposes.

I must admit that my familiarity with JS and AJAX is quite limited... though I keep reminding myself to spend some time using and exploring those disciplines more... they do open up all sorts of presentational opportunities. We have referred to sNews as being more of a developers' tool, something to build on and add to, so feel welcome to customize sNews any way your heart desires.

Cheers...
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

carmelo

• carmelosantana.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »

I haven't had the time to work on it either, but I've thought about doing a lot of JS & AJAX too and making a fork out of it.

Development is at a snails pace right now, but there has been a lot of discussion about moving forward toward 2.0.

On another note....I'm in upstate NY too.  I went to your website listed in your profile & noticed that you're in Newburgh.  I live about 30 minutes up the Thruway from you in Saugerties & I work about 10 minutes west of you in Montgomery.

Hehe... small world eh Baker?

Welcome from me also Carmelo. Like Bakercad I haven't had time to work on 'new' sNews stuff either... other projects keep coming by... maintaining and enhancing previous projects and so on. sNews' original author (Luka, in Croatia) has also been occupied with several other (revenue genreating) projects and, since sNews has been more of a hobby for most of us... new developments have been slow to come.

I look forward to seeing and, perhaps, test running your sNews fork when you have it ready to share. While there is no doubt some of our Dudes have been what we might refer to as purists... when it comes to keeping sNews small, simple and un-cluttered... I'm one of the few who doesn't mind adding more functionality and eye candy to make sNews more of an end-user product... at least for my clients and my own purposes.

I must admit that my familiarity with JS and AJAX is quite limited... though I keep reminding myself to spend some time using and exploring those disciplines more... they do open up all sorts of presentational opportunities. We have referred to sNews as being more of a developers' tool, something to build on and add to, so feel welcome to customize sNews any way your heart desires.

Cheers...

I've definately grown to really appreciate AJAX these past few months, and plan to dig deeper. I have programming limitations as well, but with the public repository maybe bringing another developer in wouldn't be a bad idea. It's far too early for me to consider anything like that right now but the infrastructure is already in place to do so.

I'm glad I have a few people who are interested in at least testing and playing with my fork a bit. I'll have a small site up for it in a few days and hopefully talks regarding my fork will continue there. I don't want to flood sNews forums with information about my fork, just seems a little rude. It would be like going to your ex-girlfriend's house but telling her about your new girlfriend. lol 

carmelo

• carmelosantana.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »

We just may have to meet one of these days.

I've only been really using JS & AJAX for about 1 1/2 years now.  I've become a HUGE fan of jQuery & use it daily.  I'm not a big fan of loading up the front end of sites with JS & AJAX, but I'm pretty much convinced that for site administration purposes that it's almost a must.

jQuery is amazing and is a vital element of almost all my most recent projects.

I have a full time design contract with a local SEO firm which consumes most of day. I wish I had more time to play with jQuery and really unlock its potential but real life sorta puts things like that on the back burner.

I have some very sexy jQuery making its way into my fork. Some of this code started developing last year, so it's going to be a relief to actually see it being utilized.

nukpana

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 12:34:35 AM »

Welcome, I too am not too far from you (I am in Bergen County NJ, used to live in Rockland County NY).  I too am curious to see what you have up your sleeve.  I love jQuery as well, only when used properly of course.

There's been some Jquery/Ajax stuff here in the forums.  If you are doing a fork, some of the stuff may help you out, or it may not.  Note the last link is primarily vanilla JS.
Ajax Search w/ JQuery: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=8824.0
Ajax Login Page w/ Jquery: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=8818.0
Removing inline JS from core system (Unobtrusive, AJAX, and some JSON) - last 2 pages here: http://snewscms.com/forum/index.php?topic=8391.0

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:36:49 AM by nukpana »

Sasha

• cssanarchy.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 02:35:10 AM »

We just may have to meet one of these days.

I've only been really using JS & AJAX for about 1 1/2 years now.  I've become a HUGE fan of jQuery & use it daily.  I'm not a big fan of loading up the front end of sites with JS & AJAX, but I'm pretty much convinced that for site administration purposes that it's almost a must.
:)

welcome carmelo!!
Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. | If you love your job, you haven't worked a day in your life. snews with ♥

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »

Hello hello carmelo and welcome
May I give and advice?
If you see me having and issue and asking for help, don't care. ;D

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • “I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.”
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 02:23:46 PM »

Ahhhh, a new competent member of our forum. This sends shiverings down my loins, and I feel an erge to express my/our warm welcome in a slightly different matter:

Caaaaaremlo, dear, come to us with no fear
We'll take care of you like no other
Take part and be gentle, you hear,
and we're share babes like brother....s. (bad rhyme, heh)

You're coming here could be like a cold,
but it's'not  (anyone getting that one, hihi)
For anyone it's bold
when I'm so hot

Forum's pervert that's me
But fear not, nor step away
I'm just here to lighten things up, you see
And... I'm not here every day

Anywhoo, C. we embrace your arrival like a hot summer breeze
making the most of things together we shall
We express ourself with warmth, kindness and these
things make our forum full of pal....s (another bad one, hehe)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated

carmelo

• carmelosantana.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »

Hello hello carmelo and welcome
May I give and advice?
If you see me having and issue and asking for help, don't care. ;D

Haha no worries.

Ahhhh, a new competent member of our forum. This sends shiverings down my loins, and I feel an erge to express my/our warm welcome in a slightly different matter:

Caaaaaremlo, dear, come to us with no fear
We'll take care of you like no other
Take part and be gentle, you hear,
and we're share babes like brother....s. (bad rhyme, heh)

You're coming here could be like a cold,
but it's'not  (anyone getting that one, hihi)
For anyone it's bold
when I'm so hot

Forum's pervert that's me
But fear not, nor step away
I'm just here to lighten things up, you see
And... I'm not here every day

Anywhoo, C. we embrace your arrival like a hot summer breeze
making the most of things together we shall
We express ourself with warmth, kindness and these
things make our forum full of pal....s (another bad one, hehe)

Thanks Patric. May be the best welcoming I've received when joining a forum. Most forums these posts go over looked haha.

I just wanted to let everyone know I got the new site up and forum as well.

The name of my fork is Knu, and you can read more about it here http://kora.nu/.