Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Latest sNews - sNews 1.7 - with its own forums - for discussion and user mods.

Author Topic: No OOP, no mission creep, introduce modest pay model  (Read 3305 times)

forsooth

No OOP, no mission creep, introduce modest pay model
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »

1. Like many sNews users (I assume), I do not know use OOP, so that would be a huge disincentive for folks like me.

2. With version 2.0, perhaps sNews should begin to look at some sort of pay model.  Something like, free download for personal use, but $15 (?) USD for each commercial implementation...or some sort of variation.  Look at http://grabaperch.com/ -- over $50 for each install.  Or http://unify.unitinteractive.com/

Maybe it is an innate lack of security, but a very modest pay model of some kind makes me more assured that sNews will continue to be there.  As far as I can tell, the sNews mission does not preclude looking at this.

Thanks.

PS -- You certainly have my "permission" to delete this post if it is off the mark for this topic. :)

philmoz

• High flyer
  • ULTIMATE member
    • fiddle 'n fly
Re: No OOP, no mission creep, introduce modest pay model
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »

#1 I still have serious trouble getting my head around oop, although if it is used in conjunction with procedural, I could live with it.

#2 not really the dudes call.
Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »

PS -- You certainly have my "permission" to delete this post if it is off the mark for this topic. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. It's not "off the mark" at all.
It might be worthy of consideration. We'll have to have a 'Dudes Board' meeting with the Chairman (Luka) attending, on this one though.  8)
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

nukpana

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:27:38 AM »

1. PHP has a easy and clear overview on OOP here: http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.php

I noted previously, if you are using Javascript, you know basic OOP.  document.write() is an object and it's method. The basics is easy to grasp.

forsooth

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »

Hi, nukpana --

The word "easy" is an interesting one.  I have a good friend who is a very talented artist.  One day she quickly rendered a beautiful drawing as I watched.  "How do you do that?" I asked when she had finished.  "Oh," she said.  "That was easy."

Fred K

• Still trying to learn stuff
  • ULTIMATE member
    • Personal
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »

Quote from: foorsooth
"Oh," she said.  "That was easy."
That's worth 1 karma right there. ;)