Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XAMPP on Windows 7 - Getting it running  (Read 4589 times)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
  • Semantically Challenged
    • snews.ca
XAMPP on Windows 7 - Getting it running
« on: February 03, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »

I've started this topic thread as a place where sNews users can share their experiences on how to get XAMPP's Apache/MySQL/PHP server bundle operating properly on a Windows 7 machine for locahost development.

I haven't installed Windows 7 myself... I am one of those die-hards that wants to keep using XP Pro for as long as I can mainly as I just purchased and installed XP Pro a few months ago so I could use IIS bundled with it.

However, Patric Ahlqvist - one of our most senior sNews Dudes - recently installed Windows 7 and the latest version of XAMPP... and has been getting nothing but blank whilte space in his browser when he tries to view any of his sNews projects. Patric has been asking me for assistance (since I don't use Win 7).

So... if any other sNews Users out there have had the same problem and found a solution, please post it here in this thread. It might help Patric and any other sNoozers using XAMPP who decided to upgrade their machines to run Win 7.
Do it now... later may not come.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sNews 1.6 MESU | sNews 1.6 MEMU

Joost

Re: XAMPP on Windows 7 - Getting it running
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

However, Patric Ahlqvist - one of our most senior sNews Dudes - recently installed Windows 7 and the latest version of XAMPP... and has been getting nothing but blank whilte space in his browser when he tries to view any of his sNews projects.

Does that mean everything else is working?
A bit more information would be helpful: What is working, what have you tried so far, what do the logfiles say. Any other weird behaviour? Did hardcoded (html) pages show? Does php do anything?

ps: Patric, Congrats with your new OS (and hardware?)

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:49:15 PM »

Here are some of the points Patric has confirmed:

1. Installing the latest XAMPP version 1.7.3, on his primary hard-drive root.
2. Has enabled mod_rewrite module in Apache's conf/httpd.conf file.
3. Has an XAMPP Control panel icon on his desktop, and has both Apache & MySQL showing as "Running", highliged in green.
4. Accessed the phpMyAdmin panel and http://localhost/phpmyadmin and created the database OK.
5. Has sNews 1.7 installed in XAMPP's htdocs directory, with all of its files including .htaccess.

According to this web page - Getting Apache to run on Port 80 with Windows 7, Microsoft added a new BranchCache service to speed up file transfers  in Win 7... and it runs on Port 80... the same port XAMPP runs on by default. If this is the cause of the problem, disabling BranchCache usually solves it. I passed this information on to Patric earlier before making my first post.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joost

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:49 AM »

3. Has an XAMPP Control panel icon on his desktop, and has both Apache & MySQL showing as "Running", highliged in green.
4. Accessed the phpMyAdmin panel and http://localhost/phpmyadmin and created the database OK.
5. Has sNews 1.7 installed in XAMPP's htdocs directory, with all of its files including .htaccess.

That I understand. However, it tells little about the issue. If an html file shows up, BranchCache issues can be excluded.
If a simple php script shows up, then php is running. Through some simple testing, the problem can be narrowed down methodically.

Sven

• ULTIMATE member
  • Chasing MY bugs!
    • hiseo.fr - rédacteur Web
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:57:07 AM »

Hello boys.
I recently bought a new machine (in november) with Seven embedded.
I made a fresh install the same version of XAMPP (1.7.3) without any problem.
It runs as it was running on my old XP machine.
So if there are questions...

nukpana

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »

That I understand. However, it tells little about the issue. If an html file shows up, BranchCache issues can be excluded.
If a simple php script shows up, then php is running. Through some simple testing, the problem can be narrowed down methodically.

If I recall from my Windows days (oh so long ago...) XAMP's control panel has PHP scripts that run: http://localhost/xampp test that to see if PHP works.
I would run the XAMPP port-check to see if there is an issue with any ports prior to running XAMPP
Another issue is when you enable rewrite, to be sure to restart XAMPP (earlier versions had this issue, not sure about this version in question)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:48:34 AM by nukpana »

slemborg

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »

Another thing, if you've got skype running, skype will block port 80, unless you've changed it.

Keyrocks

• Doug
  • ULTIMATE member
    • snews.ca
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »

I haven't heard a peep from Patric since he first mentioned his install problem. I wonder how he made out.

@ Patric... did you get it working yet?

Patric Ahlqvist

• Nobodys perfect, but Im pretty effing close
  • ULTIMATE member
  • “I'm a self-made man and worships my creator.”
    • p-ahlqvist.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:01:07 PM »

Nope... installed WAMP. Trying to get it working ;) I'¨ll get back to ya, as soon as I get the thumb out of me a** :)
"It's only dead fish that goes with the flow... "
Updated